Twist Out/Braid Out Question

pattyr5

Ok, so I'm 10 weeks post and deciding to transition. Protective style of choice woiuld be twist or braid outs except they don't turn out right. :ohwell:

Whenever I take down the twist or braids I get more of a stringy sorta dread result. I've noticed this also happens with bantu knot outs. I am only doing 4 to 6 braids/twists and yet my hair will separate into a bunch of little dreads on its own. If I run my fingers up the dread to my new growth it will lead to a curl....am I making sense??? :drunk: In other words it seems that my new growth is clumping into ringlets and it is leading my relaxed hair to separate into those small sections.

So is there something that I can do or a product I can use to avoid this? Right now, I don't use any product to do the twist/braids only a leave in condish and oil to seal.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I would suggest a creamy holding product, or a light spritz with holding power on dry hair to help combat this. Also, have you tried to do a cornrow or flat twist -out style? Those can coax some stretching at the roots, and help mold the texture to form in the direction you desire.

pattyr5

I would suggest a creamy holding product, or a light spritz with holding power on dry hair to help combat this. Also, have you tried to do a cornrow or flat twist -out style? Those can coax some stretching at the roots, and help mold the texture to form in the direction you desire.

My cornrow braid outs look much better and will hold for a couple of hours then eventually dread up. I'm thinking that perhaps my new growth is too curly/coily that it insists on twisting up the length of my hair.

I always use a perm rod on the end to encourage a curl, yet it will still dread up. The only things I use is leave in and oil. I tried using setting lotion before but since this happened I thought it was the cause....not the case because it happens anyway.

Last edited:

manter26

I think relaxed hair doesn't hold those styles well. The conditioner could also add to the stringiness. Have you tried rollersets or a twist and curl/ braid and curl? Rollers, perm rollers, etc... can give the ends a really nice look.

pattyr5

I can do rollersets and rod sets with good success. I'm only 2 months into the transition, but dang....all I ever see is twist and braid outs as being the go to style for mixing the different textures.

Victoria44

You can still do braid outs and twist outs, but if you roll the ends with a perm-rod or flexi rods, the ends wont be straight and stringy, they'll be closer to the curliness of your new growth.

manter26

I can do rollersets and rod sets with good success. I'm only 2 months into the transition, but dang....all I ever see is twist and braid outs as being the go to style for mixing the different textures.

I transitioned for 5 months and I only ever did rod/roller sets. I used ponytail holders to stretch the roots so I didn't need heat. The one braid out I did was from 2 large french braids. I think anything smaller would have looked flat.

pattyr5

I thought the twist would be a less time consuming option since it takes me be a good 40 minutes to roll my hair. Oh well.