Twists without puffy roots, please!!

wyldcurlz

Everytime I try to twist my hair, the bottom looks good, but its so puffy at the root that it ruins the whole look! How can I twist so that my roots are tame? I must say that I'm not an expert at twists or braids so the idea of making a corn-row type braid at the root is a "no go" for me. I can't do it. :mad: Is there a way to part my hair or twist on an angle or anything I can do to make the root lay down a little flatter? (a lot flatter?)

Have you tried WGHO (or a creamy leave-in) on your roots? This always lays mine down when I'm airdrying.

i got over this ''issue'' a while ago...

but if u can braid at all u can start each twist with a braid...braid for about 1/2 inch then start twisting...i have only done it once...they were less puffy but i couldnt be takin up all that time on the regular...

whenever I do a twist-out or braidout- I always flatten the pouffy parts down with a wave cap and cover for a good hour. Yes it does look crazy, but it works :D

I run into this problem sometimes. all I can say is to try making the twists- like their actual individual size smaller, and wrap your hair every night. good luck!

Jessy55 said:
I braid the roots ( 1/2 to 1 inch most) tightly and twist the rest of my hair.
I do this too! But only for the front and back, the middle is twisted regularly...

Since my hair got thicker and longer...I just make smaller twists...and start really really close to the scalp...if you use a good moisturizer w/ definition like Asha's Mane attraction shouldn't have a problem.

I used to have this problem when I first started twisting my hair. Over time, I learned to do the twists tighter and smaller and they would be flat and uniform.

I think it helps with the "way" you grip the hair in the beginning...hold the two strands at the root close to your scalp and move down the twist as you go..keeping the grip tight.

when i say very tightly, i don't mean to where it hurts but use a firm grip and start twirling them together.

And also making the twists small (pinky finger size), keeps my twists from being puffy at the roots.

I hope this makes a little sense and Good luck:)

I used to have this problem when I first started twisting my hair. Over time, I learned to do the twists tighter and smaller and they would be flat and uniform.

I think it helps with the "way" you grip the hair in the beginning...hold the two strands at the root close to your scalp and move down the twist as you go..keeping the grip tight.

when i say very tightly, i don't mean to where it hurts but use a firm grip and start twirling them together.

And also making the twists small (pinky finger size), keeps my twists from being puffy at the roots.

I hope this makes a little sense and Good luck:)

I concur. Practice will make you better at it. When I first started, I'd braid the base but I too got better with time and can twist now from the bottom w/o puffy roots.

BTW Twisties, who better to break down the twisting technique than Miss Twisties herself. :grin:

I was watching my friend/old hairdresser that makes my hair butter and is a licensed stylist in NC do someone's twist and noticing her technique. Using her hair butter, she braids at the roots (just enough, not braiding much length at all) then begins twisting down the length. This keeps the roots tight and twists neat lasting longer. I have yet to find the patience to try this out yet on myself, lol.

When I was natural I would put aloe vera gel on the base of the section to smooth it out and then take the 2 sections I would be twisting together and rotate them slightly before making the twisted section (you know like how rope looks). The twists would last for days, no puffy roots. :)

HTH

Now I braid for just one or two full rotations then start twisting. I've tried braiding a 1/2 to 1 inch but found that when taking my twist out unraveling the roots took too long. Plus I would still get puffy roots under this tight twist, which reminded of someone who with braid extensions that had been kept in too long. :nono:

Your nightly maintenance is also key. You must smooth out the cuticle at the root down the shaft to the tip of the hair every night, or at least ever other night, using some sort of styling aid with a moisturizer. I then braid my twists into large sections (4-6 plaits), which helps to stretch the hair our and prevent puffiness.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

When I was natural, I would wash and pull my hair back into a ponytail and air dry using the scarf method. My roots would come out pretty straight if not, wavy.

Then I would braid at least 1 inch of the section then twist and braid the ends.

At night, I would sleep in a scarf to keep the roots straight.

My twists lasted for about 2 weeks.
It would be good if you used a pomade.

Perhaps this dread twisting technique will work. To make a long video short, after washing she twist the roots, and uses clips to hold them in place till they dry.

Poster: ApplesAndMustard>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zup8dv1jj9Y

Co-signing. This is what I do when I retwist dreadlocks and twists. Add a little locking gel/ gel with no alcohol and try twisting w/ the hair slightly damp. After pinning if you can sit under a dryer w/ warm heat.

wow i must have missed this thread. can these techniques be used on big twists, if i was going to do like 30 twists can i use gel or braid my hair first and then twists without having the puffy roots?? i might have to give this a try because i can't stand my puffy roots, and i hope this technique help solve my problem. i had forgot to mention does anyone know of what kind of gel to use to hold your roots down? thanks.

wow i must have missed this thread. can these techniques be used on big twists, if i was going to do like 30 twists can i use gel or braid my hair first and then twists without having the puffy roots?? i might have to give this a try because i can't stand my puffy roots, and i hope this technique help solve my problem. i had forgot to mention does anyone know of what kind of gel to use to hold your roots down? thanks.
Try this:
images

ooh I was having this problem recently. The braiding roots and then twisting helps. I also started using a pomade to twist. I use Africa's Best Organic Kids Pomade Hairdress

Back