Speak up! Monistat/antifungal, etc.

Lovelylocs

I wanna hear these stories about super hair growth from these products. If it werent for California, I still would have never heard of it. Shoulders to waistlength in a year is A LOT of hair. The most I have ever seen promised from any porduct on this board. Cant we at least talk about what we know and success stories we have heard please? I dont know anyone who has ever tried it.

Also, what is the consistency of monistat 7 like? Would it keep the scalp really moist or smthg?

Last edited:

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I am trying miconazole nitrate 2% cream, the active ingredient in Monistat, but I am not using Monistat. It may grow hair, it may not...too early to tell. But it has cleared up my scalp seborrheic dermatitis in 3 days, quicker than the Nizoral shampoo. It could be that since seborrheic dermatitis prevents healthy hair growth that eliminating the scalp condition opens the door for hair growth. So maybe the miconazole nitrate is the catalyst and not the cause...we shall see.

Kimberly

I plan to try this as soon as I find out if there is an adverse reaction to the MTG. I know I saw the question posted somewhere but I can't find the answer. Can someone help with that? I don't want to have to start another thread on this to find out.

HealthyHair35

SpicedTee, this is totally off the subject. I read about your new job as a goverment contractor. Would you tell me what process you went through to get the job? Thanks. And thanks also for the articles on hair loss. Oops, one more question, where did you get the cream? I get dandruff really bad and sometimes it creates sores. Is that what you have?

Last edited:

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
Hey There Healthy Hair! I would be happy to answer questions about my job, I'll PM you. And you are welcome for the articles on hair loss, I am glad to share what I know. Regarding your scalp sores, please see a dermatologist. I started off with extreme itching and what I thought was dandruff. Plain water touching my scalp would burn so bad! I had flakes too, but it didn't seem like dandruff so I went and saw my doctor. He said that I had seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed prescription strength Nizoral shampooo. It was little too harsh for my scalp so he suggested the over-the-counter Nizoral that is a milder formula. I have had good results with the Nizoral, but my condition flares up in times of stress. I use the cream very sparingly in the areas that are the worst, and it clears me up for longer than the Nizoral does. But, that's just my experience, make sure first, that you consult a professional to diagnose your scalp condition, I don't want to recommend it because I'm not a doctor. You can get the cream from any drugstore, though. HTH

HealthyHair35 said:
SpicedTee, this is totally off the subject. I read about your new job as a goverment contractor. Would you tell me what process you went through to get the job? Thanks. And thanks also for the articles on hair loss. Oops, one more question, where did you get the cream? I get dandruff really bad and sometimes it creates sores. Is that what you have?

napgurl

I saw a lady on Oprah who was in her sixties and she looked like she was in her 40's because she put monistat cream on her face. Her dermatologist said it is the best anti-wrinkle cream out there and it is working for her. Maybe there is something very true about what you've heard.

Cinnabuns

mscolwhite said:
I saw a lady on Oprah who was in her sixties and she looked like she was in her 40's because she put monistat cream on her face. Her dermatologist said it is the best anti-wrinkle cream out there and it is working for her. Maybe there is something very true about what you've heard.

Oh really? I've never heard of this. Wow, it looks Monistat can be used EVERYWHERE. :)

Cincysweetie

mscolwhite said:
It was Monistat, not Preperation H?

L

lkg4healthyhair

mscolwhite said:

I don't think it was Monistat. I believe it was a cream for feminine dryness or itching...Vagisil I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

nchristina

Here is and article that explain why people use the cream in their hair. It only took an hour of searching to find it...enjoy
-------------------
for full article: http://www.trichotillomaniahelp.com/JK/jkdiet.html
----------------
"The antiseptic Cuticura was by far the preferred cleansing agent over very
similar soaps without the antiseptic. Sea Breeze astringent for general
overall application, and camphor spirit for intense hot spots, were also
widely reported as being helpful. The antibiotic ointment seemed to have no
effect, nor did the antihistamine ointment, but the surprisingly effective
agent, widely and independently reported to alleviate the itch and pulling
urge, was the antifungal miconazole nitrate 2percent cream."

mona_cherie

mscolwhite said:

I think I found a couple of articles about this, and if it's the same Oprah show, it was actually a drug named Premarin. Very interesting though.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/health/4465646/detail.html

http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6475.html

Lovelylocs

It seems to be working. Only 3 weeks post relaxer and I have substantial new growth. The best part is that I dont even use it every day. I have only used it about twice.

Mahalialee4

Lovelylocks: Do you use it alone (the cream) or do you put it in hair grease or oil or what? How long do you leave it on before you shampoo it out? Do you get any scalp sensations? Thanks you for replying. Bonjour

Lovelylocs

I use it alone.
I leave it on three days before shampooing it out.
no scalp sensations although my sister does (she is natural).
I dont even use it consistently, but it seems to be working.

dlewis

This Friday my hair stylist mentioned using monistat every night. She said that she has to retouch every two week because the new growth.

dlewis

When using the Monistat should you wait a while before perming your hair? Or could you use Monistat one night and perm the next? What do you ladies think?

Mahalialee4

From a professional point of view, considering perms are chemicals, I would wait at least one week, after a good shampooing and I would do this before the relaxer and after the relaxer. But I am cautious. I do not perm or relax, but if I were doing someone's hair, I would want to know their complete regime before and after relaxers. Bonjour

morehairplease

SpicedTee said:
I am trying miconazole nitrate 2% cream, the active ingredient in Monistat, but I am not using Monistat. It may grow hair, it may not...too early to tell. But it has cleared up my scalp seborrheic dermatitis in 3 days, quicker than the Nizoral shampoo. It could be that since seborrheic dermatitis prevents healthy hair growth that eliminating the scalp condition opens the door for hair growth. So maybe the miconazole nitrate is the catalyst and not the cause...we shall see.

SpicedTead I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis too! I have to make a follow up appt. w/my derm for next month & I will def. ask him for a rx for the miconazole nitrate cream you mentioned. Please keep in touch with me about your progress.
thanks in advance

miracle

dlewis said:
This Friday my hair stylist mentioned using monistat every night. She said that she has to retouch every two week because the new growth.

:eek: :eek: :eek: The stylist is retouching her relaxer every two weeks?!?!?

Mahalialee4

I thought that MONISTAT was just another Trade Name of the Product. That the miconozale nitrate was the the same thing...like the generic version. Based on what I read when I was checking out Monistat on the net. Somebody check me on this. Bonjour

hubutterfly

Mahalialee4 said:
I thought that MONISTAT was just another Trade Name of the Product. That the miconozale nitrate was the the same thing...like the generic version. Based on what I read when I was checking out Monistat on the net. Somebody check me on this. Bonjour

You are absolutely correct. Monistat is the trade name for miconazole. This is exactly the same way that Tylenol(trade name) is synonymous with Acetaminophen(generic name) and Vaseline(trade name) is synonymous with Petroleum jelly(generic name). FYI Monistat 7 day is 2% miconazole cream and Monistat 3 day is 4% miconazole cream