What is the LONGEST your hair has EVER been???

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
There was a time I had a giant puff, but I never got it straightened so idk lol. I'm just claiming right now at whatever this length is. Somewhere between shoulder length and APL. It doesn't look that long to me, but it's long-ish irl i think.
It looks long to me. Will you continue to retain length on that lovely hair, or will you cut it off again?

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
It looks long to me. Will you continue to retain length on that lovely hair, or will you cut it off again?
@Chicoro Thank you lovely one! Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me. Thank you for reminding me to give God the glory that I made it this far. You're too kind :love4:

You remind me of my mother, she keeps saying "your hair looks nice and long, keep it that way" :rofl:

I tell you what, as long as the Good Lord gives me energy and strength to do my hair, I'm gonna do it. This is about as straightforward an answer as I can give right now :lol: I do think that whatever phase that made me cut my hair off at shoulder length has passed, at least now.

MzSwift

WL is the longest my hair has been.

I hope y'all are not tired of my story. :blush:

I never had long hair, even when I was young and my mom cared for my hair. She kept me braided up in cute styles all of the time too but my hair was always just touching the bottom of my neck and in layers. From age 12 thru age 30, my hair was always between 1/2" - 3" long. I kept it that way and rocked it as a curly (texlaxed) fro bc I didn't think I could grow my hair long. I even had ppl telling me as a child and teen that dark skinned women can't grow long hair, unless we're mixed or it's in "dreadlocks." The desire to be a real life inspiration to dark skinned young girls and show them that we CAN have long hair without locs is what brought me to the hair boards in 2009. I shaved my head (ceasar cut) and started a hair growth jounery in ernst.

By 2010, I had reached CBL and decided to REALLY grow. I created a length check shirt and marked my ultimate dream goal of APL. You'll notice on my shirt that APL is the only marked line on there bc I thought I would only get there with a ton of prayer in addition to the techniques I was learning here. I had my DH mark lines after that, just to be funny and complete the shirt. My first check in on that shirt was the longest hair I'd ever had and it was SL. I had gotten there by alternating cornrows/wigs and minibraids. So I kept up that pattern. By the time I checked in, I had actually SURPASSED my dream goal!. I was so stoked! I thought my hair was soo long (it didn't feel super long to me except when I straightened it)

June 2009 ----------------------------------April 2011 ------------------------------------------- April 2012 --------------------------------------------April 2013

1699193527504.png1699191842251.png 1699192132660.png 1699192213660.png

And then by Dec 2013, I reached a goal I had NEVER even imagined possible: WL!!

1699192310807.png

Maybe bc I was natural but the whole time, my hair never felt long!

So then I texlaxed bc I wanted to feel my length and hard work more. I wore my hair out a lot more. Also, I was working with foster children and a lot of my young Black girls were suffering from low self esteem and very few role models. They didn't believe my hair was real so I would let them touch it and tell them that they could grow their hair long too.

Condensing the story- I fell off of the bandwagon for years and even locced my texlaxed hair (which was a lot of fun) and then cut out/combed out the locs and went back to my texlaxed hair and mini braids. I had one last cut in 2018 to cut out thin ends (from the locs).

Jan 2018 ----------------------------------------- Nov 2019 (I got a REAL length check shirt, lol)
1699193126377.png 1699193014379.png

And this was my hair just before I iDC'd and nstalled my last set of locs in 2020. I call this WL and it is the longest my hair has ever been.
July 2020
1699192831180.png

I hope to get back here again and maybe grow to WHIP length. I'm not sure I want to sit on my hair. lol
@ItsMeLilLucky at EVERY step of the way in this journey, my hair has felt short to me. LOL

Last edited:

Chicoro

I never had long hair, even when I was young and my mom cared for my hair. She kept me braided up in cute styles all of the time too but my hair was always just touching the bottom of my neck and in layers. From age 12 thru age 30, my hair was always between 1/2" - 3" long. I kept it that way and rocked it as a curly (texlaxed) fro bc I didn't think I could grow my hair long. I even had ppl telling me as a child and teen that dark skinned women can't grow long hair, unless we're mixed or it's in "dreadlocks." The desire to be a real life inspiration to dark skinned young girls and show them that we CAN have long hair without locs is what brought me to the hair boards in 2009. I shaved my head (ceasar cut) and started a hair growth jounery in ernst.

By 2010, I had reached CBL and decided to REALLY grow. I created a length check shirt and marked my ultimate dream goal of APL. You'll notice on my shirt that APL is the only marked line on there bc I thought I would only get there with a ton of prayer in addition to the techniques I was learning here. I had my DH mark lines after that, just to be funny and complete the shirt. My first check in on that shirt was the longest hair I'd ever had and it was SL. I had gotten there by alternating cornrows/wigs and minibraids. So I kept up that pattern. By the time I checked in, I had actually SURPASSED my dream goal!. I was so stoked! I thought my hair was soo long (it didn't feel super long to me except when I straightened it)

June 2009 ----------------------------------April 2011 ------------------------------------------- April 2012 --------------------------------------------April 2013

View attachment 492485View attachment 492469 View attachment 492471 View attachment 492473

View attachment 492475

So then I texlaxed bc I wanted to feel my length and hard work more. I wore my hair out a lot more. Also, I was working with foster children and a lot of my young Black girls were suffering from low self esteem and very few role models. They didn't believe my hair was real so I would let them touch it and tell them that they could grow their hair long too.

Condensing the story- I fell off of the bandwagon for years and even locced my texlaxed hair (which was a lot of fun) and then cut out/combed out the locs and went back to my texlaxed hair and mini braids. I had one last cut in 2018 to cut out thin ends (from the locs).

Jan 2018 ----------------------------------------- Nov 2019 (I got a REAL length check shirt, lol)
View attachment 492481 View attachment 492479

And this was my hair just before I iDC'd and nstalled my last set of locs in 2020. I call this WL and it is the longest my hair has ever been.
July 2020
View attachment 492477

I hope to get back here again and maybe grow to WHIP length. I'm not sure I want to sit on my hair. lol
@ItsMeLilLucky at EVERY step of the way in this journey, my hair has felt short to me. LOL
"I hope to get back here again and maybe grow to WHIP length. I'm not sure I want to sit on my hair. lol"

I see you trying to start something...

Last edited:

Chicoro

View attachment 492485View attachment 492469 View attachment 492471 View attachment 492473

View attachment 492475

View attachment 492481 View attachment 492479

July 2020
View attachment 492477

KEEP on repeating your story. It has all the hallmarks of a classic, textbook, successful GOAL ACHIEVEMENT PROCESS:

• Didn't think I could grow my hair long. (Initial state of belief)
  • Desire to be a real life inspiration. (Decided to make a change)
  • I started my journey in ernst. (Took action to make a change)
  • Reached collarbone and decided to really grow. (Decided to give it 1000% encouraged by success)
  • Created a length check tshirt. (Created a way to track progress)
  • And marked my ultimate goal (Identified and visualized goal)
  • Alternating cornrows, wigs and minibraids(Developed a repeatable process and stuck to it)
  • By the time I checked in I had surpassed my dream goal (Checked in on a regular consistent basis as it related to goal)

BRAVO, @MzSwift !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@MzSwift Thanks for the encouragement. I too felt for years that because I wasn't mixed or had "good" hair especially when I was growing up so i joined this forum to be an inspiration to people who never had long hair . Especially when people have stories of when they were kids and having BSL or longer or how some people just easily retain length while its such a struggle for me to retain inches even with " good hair care". To be fair, I experiment alot too.

Yet decades later and I'm still trying to reach BSL meanwhile I'm seeing girls with thigh length on tiktok lol. I will get there one day. I want to sit on my hair too lol

Chicoro

@MzSwift Thanks for the encouragement. I too felt for years that because I wasn't mixed or had "good" hair especially when I was growing up so i joined this forum to be an inspiration to people who never had long hair . Especially when people have stories of when they were kids and having BSL or longer or how some people just easily retain length while its such a struggle for me to retain inches even with " good hair care". To be fair, I experiment alot too.

Yet decades later and I'm still trying to reach BSL meanwhile I'm seeing girls with thigh length on tiktok lol. I will get there one day. I want to sit on my hair too lol

Hey @MzSwift ,

@Napp wants to sit on her hair, too.

long.hair.dont.care

Thank you @MzSwift! for sharing your story! I am encouraged by it. :clap:

I guess I'll share mine....

Childhood, my mom always made sure I had my single braids or cornrows. I was protective styling 365 days a year basically! Thing was I didnt understand that I need moisture to retain. I too, grew up hearing that black people cannot grow long hair.

Come high school, I start caring about length and started googling about it. I eventually found this lhcf board with 0.00$ in my bank account. I was lurking for years. I think I even begged my dad to pay for my subscription once so I could comment here, he didn't get it... I shouldve asked my mom.:giggle: At least this season allowed me to escape a product junkie phase. I did learned about trimming and started implementing that every time I took down braids, especially for the back row of my hair - that section improved by trims alone. I still had no proper concept of moisturizing. Hair remained at shoulder length.

In college, I dyed my hair ginger. I looooved itttt! I probably wont ever dye my hair again unless with indigo or henna, I have no intention to maintain it and it's harder to retain moisture for me. As it grew out, and my roots started showing more and more, I realized I needed to figure out how to retain. Because I KNOW and have visual PROOF that my hair is indeed growing, but still shoulder length? Something's gotta give.

I tried all the suggestions, all the products, all the methods and I gained *some* length. Entered my product junkie era. Although very close to APL, not enough to claim armpit length unless I wanted to play delusional. I discovered my love for peppermint/menthol on my scalp, that was a win for me.

Eventually, I was a busy girl saving for university - I was working a lot, I had crochet twists in. My daily routine was quick and short: spray partings with water (with a drop of ACV), oil scalp with peppermint and spray with (cooking) olive oil spray, a quick scalp massage. Literally 15 seconds of a massage cause I was rushing out the door. In the 6 weeks of doing this, I reached APL and was nearing BSL for the first time! I did it again, different crochet hair style but same cornrows. Basically, I was so busy in that season, I only had time to wash the cornrows and reapply a new set of crochet - so that's what I did. Although I eventually grew inconsistent (and less busy) I repeated again for another 12 weeks and one sweet day, I found myself at MBL:king:(or an inch away from it) . Summer time growth spurt came in handy that year to balance out my lack of discipline. It was nice to come on here and dwell with a supportive community! This board helped to keep me accountable. Shout out to all of you who keep showing up and keep lhcf somewhat alive, I know it's nothing like how it use to be but it's better then nothing.

IMG_20181027_204836.jpg

After uni, even though I found it easier to take care of my hair when it was longer (it's like it was easier to handle shrinkage and such), I got out of an abusive relationship and had zero energy to take care of my hair. It was in some protective style that I didnt touch for nearly 3 months straight, no washing or anything (I know, gross). With that came a lot of breakage when I finally took it down. :cry3:I had to cut it back to around BSB... found myself having to keep cutting periodically, the split ends were wild! Recovery mode for a good 2 years. My hair grows slow and I was on a regular trimming schedule until I did no notice any split ends and that I could lessen the trims, go back to 3-4x a year.

I'm blessed because I tried a keratin treatment to straighten my hair last year and it didnt take. I thought it was a setback because my coils were gone, I hated it. By the next wash day they were back as if they never left. My hair laughs at straightening products. Because of my perceived setback (so much heat was used for the keratin treatment) it is possible I didnt retained as much last year, but I sure did get a good trim to end of the year and I was happy about that. I was due anyway, I didnt trim that whole year because I had no reason to, the ends were healthy. Around this time last year I got to a healthy BSL and started to smile again when I did length checks. When I compare the images below, I also realized the bra strap in the 2022 photos are shorter when I compare the location of my shoulder blade in the 2023 photos (unless I am seeing things). Whether there was a setback or not, my hair is healthy and that is considered progress to me.

November 2022
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.06.12 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.06.34 PM.jpeg
September 2023
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.01.34 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.08.36 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.08.36 PM (1).jpeg

Admittedly, I still have issues being consistent and with coming on here for personal accountability. That's why I started the hair vows thread - because I was tired of my behaviour, still kinda am... I have all the tools, oils, etc to get back on track, and the I desire to keep to my commitment to see results is still there. The journey has been long, but I love that I now am sure of what works and doesnt work for my hair. I can keep it simple if I want or I can go all out with the hair products that I know for sure work for me.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I take down the cornrows under my protective style in December. I am longing for the day I get back to a healthy MBL - the gateway to my ultimate personal goal of WHIP length hair! Would be a fabulous way to start the year, at MBL. However, I've grown accustomed to slow growth, if I dont see MBL this December that's fine. I just want to see progress, I know MBL is coming... Hm, now I'm thinking I should put myself on a 30 day scalp massage challenge.

Last edited:

Kitamita

I used to have hair that reached my waist/hip at its longest, but I don't want to go that long again. Currently, I'm aiming for bra strap length due to some breakage from highlights (currently shoulder length). Going natural made a significant difference for my hair growth. The mermaid method has been a game-changer for me—doing it once a week and wetting my strands in the shower every other day. My hair seems to love this routine. Ultimately, discovering what works best for your hair through trial and error, and maintaining consistency, is crucial. The insights and guidance from LHCF have been immensely helpful!

1700786207370.png

Chicoro

I used to have hair that reached my waist/hip at its longest, but I don't want to go that long again. Currently, I'm aiming for bra strap length due to some breakage from highlights (currently shoulder length). Going natural made a significant difference for my hair growth. The mermaid method has been a game-changer for me—doing it once a week and wetting my strands in the shower every other day. My hair seems to love this routine. Ultimately, discovering what works best for your hair through trial and error, and maintaining consistency, is crucial. The insights and guidance from LHCF have been immensely helpful!

View attachment 492811

'Mer' quoi/what method?

@long.hair.dont.care

I love your story!! And you'll definitely hit MBL! Short, personal challenges are absolutely the way to get into a groove of consistency. You're on the right track!

@Kitamita

:drool: Ma'am, you can't come in here dropping pics of that beautiful hair and NOT share what the heck the Mermaid Method is!!!!! :catfight:

@MzSwift

That's right girl. Miss @Kitamita don't realize she up in here treading on dangerous ground by showing great results, mentioning the method BUT not explaining what that method is.

Kitamita

@long.hair.dont.care

I love your story!! And you'll definitely hit MBL! Short, personal challenges are absolutely the way to get into a groove of consistency. You're on the right track!

@Kitamita

:drool: Ma'am, you can't come in here dropping pics of that beautiful hair and NOT share what the heck the Mermaid Method is!!!!! :catfight:

'Mer' quoi/what method?

@MzSwift

That's right girl. Miss @Kitamita don't realize she up in here treading on dangerous ground by showing great results, mentioning the method BUT not explaining what that method is.

Apologies, lovely ladies, I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. :blush:

I spilled the details of my experience right HERE, in the discussion it was mentioned it was called Mermaid Soaks.

In a nutshell: Treat your hair to a luxurious soak in the bath for 5-10 minutes to give those strands a serious hydration boost - at least once a week. I personally follow up with conditioner and either oil or shea butter, depending on the season.

MzSwift

Apologies, lovely ladies, I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. :blush:

I spilled the details of my experience right HERE, in the discussion it was mentioned it was called Mermaid Soaks.

In a nutshell: Treat your hair to a luxurious soak in the bath for 5-10 minutes to give those strands a serious hydration boost - at least once a week. I personally follow up with conditioner and either oil or shea butter, depending on the season.

TYSM for sharing! :kiss:

Oooooohhhh!
Luxurious soak with a heavy seal? Extra hydration is right up my alley...
I experimented w extra hydration this year, since Jan, with good results!