My theory about prolonged usage of MN

BillyJay

This here is why I shy away from using MN or products containing MN to "speed up growth"

Recently (for those who didn't know) I was sick with a breast infection thought to be cancerous. For 2 months I was on rounds of antibiotics (sulfa based, which are strong)

To counter any ill effects, I took Acidophillus to prevent Candida (yeast over growth)

That didnt stop me from developing thrush. Because I took these antibiotics for so long and because my immune system was so week, nothing I took would cure my issue. I had to resort to home remedies and I was cured pretty quickly.

Now follow me down this road as I explain why MN may not be a good idea.

Recent studies show that prolonged use of antibiotics causes your immune system to become weak and makes your body a garden for all types of microflora and other harmful bacteria, right?

Prolonged usage of antibiotics makes your body resistant to other antibiotics which you would probably need in the future. Gotcha!

Now there are those who will say that Miconazole is not an antibiotic, rather an antifulgal.

To this I would say that you are partly right.
Miconazole is an antifungal antibiotic. This compound has antibiotic properties.

Over use of any compound/cream with the suffix "-zole"can cause resistant organisms to develop and make it harder for your medications to help you fight off your SUPERBUGS.

From reading the various posts on here and other hair boards, we know that MN can cause irritation, hives and massive headaches from topical usage on the scalp.

Now hold up, before you accuse me of Chicken Little-itis.... The sky is not falling, I repeat not falling.

I just wanted to share something that I have been thinking about for some time...

If you do in fact use MN with no side effects, then of course I would say everyone will do what works for them. Just proceed with caution.

And lastly...Most of us can grow hair without aides. Yeah, we want it fast...but at what cost?

Sources for my rubbish:

http://wishard.kramesonline.com/Medications/26,402

What is miconazole vaginal cream or suppositories?

MICONAZOLE (Monistat®) is an antifungal type of antibiotic. As a vaginal cream or suppository, miconazole is used to treat vaginal candidal infections, commonly called yeast infections. These products also relieve the itching and burning symptoms that are sometimes present with these infections. Products are available in 1-day (prescription only), 3-day, or 7-day treatment courses.

Mechanisms of Antifungal Resistance

DivaD04

This here is why I shy away from using MN or products containing MN to "speed up growth"

Recently (for those who didn't know) I was sick with a breast infection thought to be cancerous. For 2 months I was on rounds of antibiotics (sulfa based, which are strong)

To counter any ill effects, I took Acidophillus to prevent Candida (yeast over growth)

That didnt stop me from developing thrush. Because I took these antibiotics for so long and because my immune system was so week, nothing I took would cure my issue. I had to resort to home remedies and I was cured pretty quickly.

Recent studies show that prolonged use of antibiotics causes your immune system to become weak and makes your body a garden for all types of microflora and other harmful bacteria, right?

Prolonged usage of antibiotics makes your body resistant to other antibiotics which you would probably need in the future. Gotcha!

Now there are those who will say that Miconazole is not an antibiotic, rather an antifulgal.

Miconazole is an antifungal antibiotic. This compound has antibiotic properties.

Over use of any compound/cream with the suffix "-zole"can cause resistant organisms to develop and make it harder for your medications to help you fight off your SUPERBUGS.

From reading the various posts on here and other hair boards, we know that MN can cause irritation, hives and massive headaches from topical usage on the scalp.

Now hold up, before you accuse me of Chicken Little-itis.... The sky is not falling, I repeat not falling.

I just wanted to share something that I have been thinking about for some time...

If you do in fact use MN with no side effects, then of course I would say everyone will do what works for them. Just proceed with caution.

And lastly...Most of us can grow hair without aides. Yeah, we want it fast...but at what cost?

Sources for my rubbish:

MICONAZOLE (Monistat®) is an antifungal type of antibiotic. As a vaginal cream or suppository, miconazole is used to treat vaginal candidal infections, commonly called yeast infections. These products also relieve the itching and burning symptoms that are sometimes present with these infections. Products are available in 1-day (prescription only), 3-day, or 7-day treatment courses.

i don't use mn all the time but when i do i use daktarin mn2% but good looking out.

SignatureBeauty

Thanks Bj! I don't use MN at all, I just purchased a growth serum from bee mine and I know I won't use it, I am just to lazy to oil my scalp with anything, I will end up giving it to my sister:grin: But wonderful article and I am glad that you are OK! now give me back my vatika frosting

d-rock

You're very right about the overuse of antibiotics and new strains are resistant organisms which, is exactly why I stick to curing myself by natural means when I get sick. Are there any hair products that you know of that have this MN stuff in them?

BillyJay

You're very right about the overuse of antibiotics and new strains are resistant organisms which, is exactly why I stick to curing myself by natural means when I get sick. Are there any hair products that you know of that have this MN stuff in them?

No hair products that I know of contain MN, but I know that some ladies like to mix MN in existing products.

almondjoi85

Great idea, it's similar to the hand sanitizer theory on colds.

Could you imagine a super yeast infection that MN couldn't cure? :blush: :lachen::blush:

SparklingFlame

Thanks Bj! I don't use MN at all, I just purchased a growth serum from bee mine and I know I won't use it, I am just to lazy to oil my scalp with anything, I will end up giving it to my sister:grin: But wonderful article and I am glad that you are OK! now give me back my vatika frosting
OT:
I love your hair in your advi!!!

I miss those days......

gymfreak336

When they say antibotic properties, what exactly do they mean? IDK, I am not sure about how much I am buying that, atleast in the context they are applying. Antibotics and Antifungals are very different, a whole different type of target, biologically and chemically.

BillyJay

When they say antibotic properties, what exactly do they mean? IDK, I am not sure about how much I am buying that, atleast in the context they are applying. Antibotics and Antifungals are very different, a whole different type of target, biologically and chemically.
Right. Thats what I initially thought, but from what I gather its both. I would have to do more research to get a concrete answer to that.

gymfreak336

Right. Thats what I initially thought, but from what I gather its both. I would have to do more research to get a concrete answer to that.

The reason I ask is because bacteria are prokaryotes, fungi are eurkayotes.

Antibiotics work one of 6 ways.

They either attack the
1) cell wall
2)replication
3)transcription
4)translation- mostly static, with the exception of streptomycin, its cidal
5)plasma membrane
6) or they are anti metabolites...these are all static, competitive inhibitors

The cell wall and membrane of bacteria are not composed the same chemically as fungi. Bac. cell walls are made of one of two ways.... Either they are made of a thick layer of peptinoglycan or they are made of a phosolipid bilayer that has a thin layer of peptinoglycan sandwhiched between the layers. The mechansims in which a antibotic like polymyxin B would attack the plasma membrane of a bac cell and cause the contents to leak and the cell to lyse would be very different than the mechanism in a fungus since the are not chemically made the same way. That is why I asked. I think they are implying the it has antibiotic properties in the sense that antifungals Imidazole family which miconazole is in are targeting the cell wall of an organism but if that is what they mean, then alcohol has antibiotic properties too.

BillyJay

The reason I ask is because bacteria are prokaryotes, fungi are eurkayotes.

Antibiotics work one of 6 ways.

They either attack the
1) cell wall
2)replication
3)transcription
4)translation- mostly static, with the exception of streptomycin, its cidal
5)plasma membrane
6) or they are anti metabolites...these are all static, competitive inhibitors

The cell wall and membrane of bacteria are not composed the same chemically as fungi. Bac. cell walls are made of one of two ways.... Either they are made of a thick layer of peptinoglycan or they are made of a phosolipid bilayer that has a thin layer of peptinoglycan sandwhiched between the layers. The mechansims in which a antibotic like polymyxin B would attack the plasma membrane of a bac cell and cause the contents to leak and the cell to lyse would be very different than the mechanism in a fungus since the are not chemically made the same way. That is why I asked. I think they are implying the it has antibiotic properties in the sense that antifungals Imidazole family which miconazole is in are targeting the cell wall of an organism but if that is what they mean, then alcohol has antibiotic properties too.

That is good information. If we are over using a anti fungal or antibiotic, the body can develop a resistance and become more susceptible to resistant strains?

gymfreak336

That is good information. If we are over using a anti fungal or antibiotic, the body can develop a resistance and become more susceptible to resistant strains?
Its not that you become more susceptible to more resistant strains, its that you increase the probablity of bacteria picking up more antibiotic resistant genes. Keep in mind that antibiotics come from bacteria. We make some adjustments in the lab but fundamentally, they are bacterial mechanisms.
There is more risks with antibotics for a couple of reasons. For starters, people don't finish there medications. They take it until they feel better and then they stop. The reason behind this leads into the 2nd reason, bacterial genetics. Bacterial genetics is a WHOLE PhD within its self. Bacterial replication and share genetic info in a whole different way. That is another reason why bacterial DNA is used most of the time in genetic modification. That is one of the reasons they get a whole domain to themselves.

If you really want to be concerned, you need to be concerned with your food. Majority of the antibotics created in this world are not for humans, they are for animals, our food. Veggies and fruits are not any better especially when you consider the level of genetic modification. That combined with horizitonal and vertical gene transfer and you have a time bomb on your hands. I don't want to get off on a tangent with the lies about food and how both sides, the FDA and the health nuts distort facts to gain support, especially about Soy:look: but that is where people need pay attention too, especially the horizontal gene transfer stuff.

Last edited:

BillyJay

Its not that you become more susceptible to more resistant strains, its that you increase the probablity of bacteria picking up more antibiotic resistant genes. Keep in mind that antibiotics come from bacteria. We make some adjustments in the lab but fundamentally, they are bacterial mechanisms.
There is more risks with antibotics for a couple of reasons. For starters, people don't finish there medications. They take it until they feel better and then they stop. The reason behind this leads into the 2nd reason, bacterial genetics. Bacterial genetics is a WHOLE PhD within its self. Bacterial replication and share genetic info in a whole different way. That is another reason why bacterial DNA is used most of the time in genetic modification. That is one of the reasons they get a whole domain to themselves.

If you really want to be concerned, you need to be concerned with your food. Majority of the antibotics created in this world are not for humans, they are for animals, our food. Veggies and fruits are not any better especially when you consider the level of genetic modification. That combined with horizitonal and vertical gene transfer and you have a time bomb on your hands. I don't want to get off on a tangent with the lies about food and how both sides, the FDA and the health nuts distort facts to gain support, especially about Soy:look: but that is where people need pay attention too, especially the horizontal gene transfer stuff.

I couldn't agree more.:yep: Maybe we could discuss this further in OT.

Back on topic... You said: "its that you increase the probability of bacteria picking up more antibiotic resistant genes."

Are you referring to antibiotics or "zole " family?

Generally, I think its safe to say that the prolonged usage of any OTC is unsafe. There are no clinical trials to support miconazole usage on the scalp, nor is there a consensus on how to formulate the MN growth concoctions. Some are using it straight from the tube, while others use it in various concentrations.

This in itself is can cause issues.

gymfreak336

I couldn't agree more.:yep: Maybe we could discuss this further in OT.

Back on topic... You said: "its that you increase the probability of bacteria picking up more antibiotic resistant genes."

Are you referring to antibiotics or "zole " family?

Generally, I think its safe to say that the prolonged usage of any OTC is unsafe. There are no clinical trials to support miconazole usage on the scalp, nor is there a consensus on how to formulate the MN growth concoctions. Some are using it straight from the tube, while others use it in various concentrations.

This in itself is can cause issues.

Sorry, I was referring to the antibotics.

As far as the prolonged usage goes, I don't know. It could go either way for me. The zoles are a whole are used many times as topical treatments for superficial mycoses, especially on the scalp. That is one reason why they are used for dandruff treatments. MN just got approved to be used in more topical treatments so I guess we shall see then. I personally tried it and I actually felt like it stunted my growth. I think that people just need to remember that our bodies are different and that everyone isn't going to respond the same way to everything. For every success case you have, you can find someone that had a bad reaction to it.

Irresistible

Sources for my rubbish:

yeah all of this stuff needs to be considered about the possible long term effects

cecilie

All medecine has adverse effects so we must be careful with long terme use if not necessary .
Cecilie .

Irresistible

I get what your saying if an antibiotic can kill every good bug even the good ones that are holding back the overgrowth of fungus, killing all fungus which is also naturally present in our bodies to a degree might have another possible effect (getting rid of all fungus) even anti virals can make you very very sick. Everything has be weighed with a risk/benefit ratio

only do it if the benefit is necessary and that benefit is clearly gonna outweigh any risk!

otherwise its best left alone

I also wanted to ask how your health was. and did you post this because you used MN? and also with some kind of super infection having hit you,please look into nutrition that will help your immune system :yep:

good you took the probiotics! :yep:

BillyJay

As far as my health is concerned, I'm dong great!:grin: I have an MRI in a couple of months to check for new lumps, ect.

I never used MN, but while I was on antibiotics, I definitely experiences those nasty side effects of candida overgrowth and suppressed immunity.

Irresistible

As far as my health is concerned, I'm dong great!:grin: I have an MRI in a couple of months to check for new lumps, ect.

I never used MN, but while I was on antibiotics, I definitely experiences those nasty side effects of candida overgrowth and suppressed immunity.
Systemic Candida can make you very sick! I'm glad your doing good! :yep:

Aggie

I have been using MN for at least 2 years now but not continuously. I apply it on my scalp for about 4 months, then I stop for about a month or two then start again. I have not experienced any bad side effects from using it.

My hair is still growing in very well and I have absolutely no dandruff or build up on my scalp even after not washing it for 3 weeks. I know I know, I should know better than that but I really haven't been in the mood for washing and DCing it lately. My scalp doesn't even have a sweaty smell, and believe me I find this strange:look:.