Since castor oil is a heavy oil?...

Lilmama1011

Is it safe to say that you moisturize less with using it. I use coconut oil and it's really light so I mix with jojoba oil but want to use one oil and you have to melt the coconut oil too so considering using castor oil. Does it smell pleasing and the price ranges please! ;)

Jamaican black castor oil smells the best. It has a nutty smell, but it costs a tad bit more. About 5.99 for 4oz bottle. The Now brand has a large bottle for around 9.99. It will last about 6mo for a regular user. Their brand is also pretty nutty. I use alot less of this oil b/c it is heavy and it is more effective when you use less. Also, I prefer to cut mine w/water or aloe vera gel/juice. I never put it on straight up, too thick.

virtuenow said:
Jamaican black castor oil smells the best. It has a nutty smell, but it costs a tad bit more. About 5.99 for 4oz bottle. The Now brand has a large bottle for around 9.99. It will last about 6mo for a regular user. Their brand is also pretty nutty. I use alot less of this oil b/c it is heavy and it is more effective when you use less. Also, I prefer to cut mine w/water or aloe vera gel/juice. I never put it on straight up, too thick.

The way everyone says it's so heavy I picture it pouring out like molasses!

Castro Oil is close to the consistany of molasses, at least it is to me. I havent had a thin castro oil. Even my JBCO is thick and it smells like burnt wood or something but the smell does fade after a while, but I do apply it at night.

I prefer the cold pressed castor oil. Its like a lightish yellowish color and although the smell isnt pleasant it literally disappears after a few hours. So if you apply over night, then its gone by morning. Of course, you're gonna be more sensitive to the smell but it won't catch the attention of others. Personally, JBCO smells HORRIBLE and i can't bring myself to buy the bottle. I suggest, you go to the BSS and smell them. one brand has a lavender scent but idk how pleasant it really is.

Lol @ molasses. It's not that heavy. I agree about mixing it with something else though.

I've used castor oil for braid outs, but now I'm back to my beloved coconut oil for moisturizing. :)

It kind of is like molasses. But it spreads well once you learn how to use it; and you will begin to enjoy the smell.

I'm definitely going to smell before I buy lol, i don't want to walk around smelling like burnt wood lol

ZebraPrintLover said:
If you use it at night you wont LOL

But I moisturize twice, i obsess over not having dry hair so moisturize before bed and when I unwrap hair to go out I moisturize again

You should make it a point to create a good smelling hair spritzer. I put my favorite smelling conditioner in my mix. Then I seal w/a thin layer of castor oil; or I mix a small drop of castor oil w/the mix in my hand and apply at once. In either instance, its my mix that has the dominant smell.

Back