Silk wraps really do work!!

Pokahontas your hair is toooo pretty ! And Black black Black !

I'm going to try this on one of my nights out to see just how it works

Cleve_gryl said:
I tried this method today too. This was my first attempt and major tweeking is needed, but it did work pretty well. Next time I'll add a tad bit more moisture and oils for shine. I was light handed in fear of getting too greasy. The final result is what my wraps look like after about 2 days, so it did the job.

My poorly saran wrapped head :grin:
saran.jpg

Final result
final.jpg

Very pretty Cleve gryl! Looks like it worked well! :up:

Pokahontas said:
I fixed the link, sorry it wasn't working right at first.

I used QB Amla & Olive Heavy cream and a little coconut oil.

What you will have to do is rollerset as normal (I did the ponytail set) until fully dry. Apply your moisturizer of choice and wrap your hair then wrap your whole head in plastic wrap. Sit back under the dryer for 20 to 30 min.

I did a thread on the cross wrap not long ago so if you search you might find it or I'll bump it for you.

Pokahontas, what about the roots? I'm transitioning and I usually have to flat iron my roots after a roller set. Will the saran wrap/silk wrap straighten the roots too under the dryer???

Sorry... still a total Newbie....

I searched thread on rollersetting, but can't find a good one.

Can someone link me somewhere that has the "best" rollersetting technique for my 4a natural hair.

I am definitely tryin the silk wrap this week!!

Sincerely_Ciara said:
The ladies that have tried this method. Did you sit under the dryer with the rollerset or did you let it airdry??

Thanks, Ciara

I sat under the dryer a total of three times today :ohwell: Once for my dc, again to dry the roller set, then lastly for about 15 minutes with the saran wrap...I think I could have did the wrap a little tighter and with a little bit more moisture to hold it down. It got straight but it could be straighter IMO.

Poka beautiful, as always.

After I learned to do this it was the only way I would dry my hair. The saran wrap really does give you smooth, sleek hair. This is how I was able to go from last summer until this past week without flat ironing.

Tip: if you use coconut oil you will get the blinging shine with out the greasiness and weighed down hair.

Cleve_gryl said:
I sat under the dryer a total of three times today :ohwell: Once for my dc, again to dry the roller set, then lastly for about 15 minutes with the saran wrap...I think I could have did the wrap a little tighter and with a little bit more moisture to hold it down. It got straight but it could be straighter IMO.

You a good one. lol.
I'm going to try it with a air dried rollerset, I hope I get decent results!

PaulaDiddy said:

Can someone link me somewhere that has the "best" rollersetting technique for my 4a natural hair.

There are many great threads on rollersetting but the link I have at my fingertips right now is Macherieamour's Blog.

PaulaDiddy said:

There are many great threads on rollersetting but the link I have at my fingertips right now is Macherieamour's Blog.

This is so pretty. I am still trying to get the rollersetting down. I will have to incorporate this with my next rollerset.

Cleve_gryl said:
I tried this method today too. This was my first attempt and major tweeking is needed, but it did work pretty well. Next time I'll add a tad bit more moisture and oils for shine. I was light handed in fear of getting too greasy. The final result is what my wraps look like after about 2 days, so it did the job.

saran.jpg

Final result
final.jpg
Hee hee, that pic is cute. We should all take pics of our saran wrap heads:lol: .

I was the same as you.....I used very little moisturizer and oil because I was scared and I didn't know if it would work and I didn't want to weight my hair down. Next time I will apply a tad more since I'm not so scared now. Yours came out pretty!!

MrsHouston said:
Pokahontas, what about the roots? I'm transitioning and I usually have to flat iron my roots after a roller set. Will the saran wrap/silk wrap straighten the roots too under the dryer???
You know, my roots actually came out really good with the silk wrap and I think with me doing the ponytail rollerset that helped them even more. Normally when I do doobie's I have to blow out the roots all over but this time I just touched up the edges where it was kinda fuzzy so yeah I think the saran wrap really helps the roots.

Cleve_gryl said:
Same here! The only thing thet kept me content under the dryer all that time was because I was on lhcf, lol. Thank God for soft bonnet dryers!!!!

lyphe said:
This is so pretty. I am still trying to get the rollersetting down. I will have to incorporate this with my next rollerset.
Thank you. Your hair is georgeous!

This works great! I airdryed on Friday nite and then rolled up my hair last nite. I wrapped my hair today, applied moisture, oil, saran wrap. Sat under the dryer for 25 minutes, and nice straight shiny none frizzy hair. Thanks P!

i wanna try this,.... it seems like a long process esp for my hair which takes FOREVER to dry in a roller set not to mention the other steps, but if it can actually straighten my hair without direct heat i will be amazed.

ill post my results after i try.

I tried this and I think it might work. I had my hair pressed on Thursday but it rained that night and all of Friday. THat made my hair frizzy and puffy, I tried the silk wrap on Saturday and it smoothed down those frizzy parts and made my hair shiny and my ends look MUCH better (they need to be dusted). I'll post updates soon.

my ends have little issues too but i tried this MY way;) i do not rollerset and my hair is natural. i blew dried my hair and added the aveda moisturizers, emollient and silk infusions to my hair and wrapped it with saran wrap. it came out, 1st of all very soft, and smooth. not silky str8 smooth but i do not need to use the flat iron on my hair especially since i'm not wearing my hair down. if i were, i would probably feel compelled to run the iron thru my hair but it wouldnt be that serious, does that make sense:confused: :) . like, i wouldnt worry myself by taking small sections to iron like i usually do. it really smoothed it alot. i would do it again and tweek it a bit for even better results(like silky str8 hair, if thats possible using this method w/o rollersetting 1st and/or using the flat iron):p

Last edited:
MissVee said:
This works great! I airdryed on Friday nite and then rolled up my hair last nite. I wrapped my hair today, applied moisture, oil, saran wrap. Sat under the dryer for 25 minutes, and nice straight shiny none frizzy hair. Thanks P!
That's great! Thanks for reporting back.

I am going to try this over the weekend. I will skip the roller set, which never works when I do it myself...I am excited!

Cleve_gryl said:

saran.jpg

Final result
final.jpg
beautiful, cleve. you did a great job!

Back