Silk wraps really do work!!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks to hennagirl who posted not long ago about silk wraps I decided to try it. It came out great and gets my hair straighter than my regular doobie. I never thought in a million years that I could get my hair straight w/o a flat iron so this is so cool.

Silk wrap thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=116626&highlight=feather+wrap

Before silk wrap (rollers taken out and hair combed out)...
Sizedsilkwrap2.jpg

After silk wrap (using moisturizer and plastic wrap, back under dryer for about 15 minutes). Next time I'm sitting under the dryer a little longer because I was scared this time. I didn't know what was gonna be under that plastic when I took it off:lol: . No other heat was used......
Sizedsilkwrap3.jpg

Sizedsilkwrap1.jpg

Sizedsilkwrap4.jpg

This is definitely worth a try for naturals and relaxed who want to reduce heat and still have a straight look.

Last edited:
how is this done? with what type of moisturizer. do i HAVE to rollerset? i will try to find that thread. btw, whats a cross wrap. i have seen that mentioned a few times

honeybadgirl said:
how is this done? with what type of moisturizer. do i HAVE to rollerset? i will try to find that thread. btw, whats a cross wrap. i have seen that mentioned a few times
I fixed the link, sorry it wasn't working right at first.

I used QB Amla & Olive Heavy cream and a little coconut oil.

What you will have to do is rollerset as normal (I did the ponytail set) until fully dry. Apply your moisturizer of choice and wrap your hair then wrap your whole head in plastic wrap. Sit back under the dryer for 20 to 30 min.

I did a thread on the cross wrap not long ago so if you search you might find it or I'll bump it for you.

i've never heard of this. the original link is still linking back to this very thread. do it have to be saran wrap?

honeybadgirl said:
:D :D thanks:D :D
did you or anybody else out there take pics of this? i wanted to get a visual of it.
regarding the silk wrap: i dont rollerset BUT i was wondering if it would work just as well if i just dried my hair(with blow dryer) and wrapped it. i'm going to try it that way and see what happens. wish me luck :)
No I never got around to taking pics but someone mentioned that KhandiB has them in her fotki.

I hope it works well for you!

Pokahontas said:
No I never got around to taking pics but someone mentioned that KhandiB has them in her fotki.

I hope it works well for you!
Thank you blackhair, supergirl and steph!

That sounds cool! Does anyone know if this would work with a heating cap? I'm too cheap and broke to get a dryer :) BTW, Poka, I know you've heard this 784 times, but.... Your hair is gorgeous! :D

Last edited:
WOW Poka!!!!!! Your hair looks amazing. I love it. I can't wait to try this tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Your hair is beautiful Pokahantas!!

How is it that saran wrap straightens hair? It is the same as wearing a satin scarf? And can one do this silk wrap without heat?

Isis said:
Your hair is beautiful Pokahantas!!

How is it that saran wrap straightens hair? It is the same as wearing a satin scarf? And can one do this silk wrap without heat?
Thank you Isis :).

The moisturizer along with the heat and the saran wrap helps to straighten the hair. Kinda like steaming the hair straight is the best way I can explain it. I really wasn't expecting it to come out that straight. I don't think it would work w/o heat but you could always do a regular doobie and get close results.

Didn't someone do a thread on steam caps making regular rollers work like caruso's? That's an idea although I guess that's still heat to some degree. Although I'm not sure if that would revert the hair or not. I'm not sure if this would work, I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks Nice&Wavy, scarcity, tiffers, and e$h.

Pokahontas said:
Thank you Isis :).

The moisturizer along with the heat and the saran wrap helps to straighten the hair. Kinda like steaming the hair straight is the best way I can explain it. I really wasn't expecting it to come out that straight. I don't think it would work w/o heat but you could always do a regular doobie and get close results.

Didn't someone do a thread on steam caps making regular rollers work like caruso's? That's an idea although I guess that's still heat to some degree. Although I'm not sure if that would revert the hair or not. I'm not sure if this would work, I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks Nice&Wavy, scarcity, tiffers, and e$h.
Thank you for your reply. :) There is always heat from the scalp under the plastic... I may do this using a cross wrap (still learning about that) and see what happens. I always assumed that covering and sealing moist hair with plastic results in a very pretty, moisturized 'fro.

I didn't read that steam cap thread, I thought it was about something else, like using a steamer. Maybe I'll check it out for some clues.

Someone mentioned using a regular plastic cap (like I use for deep conditioning) and getting the same results as saran wrap. :scratchch

See, this is why I love LHCF, I have almost 10,000 posts and I'm still always learning something new about hair that I can use. :yep:

Last edited:
Isis said:
Thank you for your reply. :) There is always heat from the scalp under the plastic... I may do this using a cross wrap (still learning about that) and see what happens. I always assumed that covering and sealing moist hair with plastic results in a very pretty, moisturized 'fro.

I didn't read that steam cap thread, I thought it was about something else, like using a steamer. Maybe I'll check it out for some clues.

Someone mentioned using a regular plastic cap (like I use for deep conditioning) and getting the same results as saran wrap. :scratchch

See, this is why I love LHCF, I have almost 10,000 posts and I'm still always learning something new about hair that I can use. :yep:
I know....I didn't read it either but it sure does keep popping up so maybe I'll take a peek.

I was scared my hair was going to revert under the plastic but surprisingly it didn't.

Your hair looks great, I'll try this sometime in the future, I'm just barely mastering the rollerset! I'm afraid my hair will get big and poofy but this seems like it's worth a try.

I tried this method today too. This was my first attempt and major tweeking is needed, but it did work pretty well. Next time I'll add a tad bit more moisture and oils for shine. I was light handed in fear of getting too greasy. The final result is what my wraps look like after about 2 days, so it did the job.

My poorly saran wrapped head :grin:
saran.jpg

Final result
final.jpg

Back