Silk or Feather Wrap - Is Anyone Doing It

hennagirl

I read about the silk or feather wrap on another board. It sounds like a doobie where the hair is wrapped in saran wrap. I didn't find anything a thread about. Does anybody use this method, and if so, will you explain how it is done?

glamazon386

A feather wrap is actually a style. It's just the way the hair is layered and curled. IDK about saran wrap. I've only heard people use that to keep wet wraps in place while under the dryer if the hair is particularly long.

hennagirl

bmoreflyygirl said:
A feather wrap is actually a style. It's just the way the hair is layered and curled. IDK about saran wrap. I've only heard people use that to keep wet wraps in place while under the dryer if the hair is particularly long.

Check out some info about the silk wrap, bmoreflyygirl, Baltimore is mentioned.

"a silk wrap is to roller set your hair like you are geting a dubby. After you finish you want to wrap you hair in plastic wrap. and sit under a dryer for like 30 minute it is supose to make your hair look silky and shine."

"Yes, I absolutely LOOVVVEEE silk wraps. They are so pretty (tho I've never had one myself). They are also called feather wraps here in Baltimore. From what I gather, after the rollerset, they wrap your hair, put some type of moisturizer on it, then put on saran wrap and sit you under the dryer. The hair under the plastic wrap + the heated moisturizer is what is supposedly what make the hair silky.
I have done my variation of one, I have it in my fotki under "Roller Wrap". My hair came out silky and bouncy, but it would prolly be a real "Silk wrap" if I had used the type of moisturizer they regularly use (not sure what those are tho), also, I was only under the dryer for like 5 mins. But next time I wash , I will try it again, and see if I can achieve the exact look! "

TowsonGirl

Hey Hennagirl, that was me that said that in your quote :D ! But yea, a feather wrap is the texture and also the style as Bmore mentioned. When you have a feather wrap, your hair is flipped, but flat to the head, and looks like layers. It is also, feathery in texture and swingy. You can achieve the texture with the saran wrap. Hope I helped a lil:p

TowsonGirl

And yes, to answer your original question, lots of people wear this style. Especially here in Baltimore. But I dont know about other places. Wonder why there hasnt been a thread on this before:confused:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This is interesting. I love doing doobie's but I've never tried it w/ saran wrap. So basically it's roller set, wrapped using a moisturizer, then wrapped w/ saran wrap and sit back under the dryer? I'm going to try this. I don't know if I can sit back under the dryer for 30 minutes after already being under there for an hour and a half, lol. I hate sitting under the dryer. I wonder if 15 minutes would be enough? I think I can handle that.

kally

My sister are both natural and this is what they get. I never knew until now what it was called nor do they. I will have to tell them. I had them tell me what their stylist does and this is exactly what they say. I does turn out very pretty.

sassyhair

Feather wraps are big here in Baltimore, the style is maintained but pincurling the hair. But I have not seen anyone use saran wrap for it.

glamazon386

Sassyhair and TowsonGirl are right. They were really big a few years ago. I don't see them as often anymore. I had my hair like that for easter back in 05. I've had a feather wrap (or a dry wrap) plenty of times when I was relaxed and mines wasn't done like that. No saran wrap. You know Farrah Fawcett had her hair feathered back away from her face? Same thing. The hair is curled in layers and feathered going away from the face. But it kind of lays flat to the head. That's a feather wrap. It's done on dry hair. It's all in the way you curl it to get it to fall that way. Your hair has to be in layers for it to be done though. And it really only works on shorter hair. Like neck to shoulder. Anything longer than that and it doesn't stay right. I did it on my weave before but it didn't stay. You have to pin curl it at night for it to stay and I hated doing it so I usually just wrapped mines after a few days and wore it straight. Or recurled it in the morning. IDK what this saran wrap talk is about. That must be something else. That must be the silk wrap thing. I've never heard of that.

ETA: I found a picture. I curled my weave like that for christmas but the hair was too heavy and it fell. I couldn't get the hair to lay flat to my head no matter how much spritz or clips I used before leaving the house. In this picture you can can get the idea. It looks much better on shorter hair though. The black hair on the top stayed flat the way it was supposed to but the brown on the bottom was just too heavy bc of the length. Oh yeah, most people part the hair down the middle and have both sides feathered the same way. I had to do mines to the side like there was a side part because of the way my bangs were sewn in.

Last edited:

seeminglysweet

Those are just layers to me...I never heard of a feather wrap but I guess it makes sense. You're right it does look better on shorter hair-I'm always jealous when I see a soft bob with the back feathered.

I've read threads on here before about the saran wrap after combing out a rollerset. I haven't tried it but I may try on my next wash. The steam from the saran and moisturizer is supposed to be sauna-like, sort of infusing the hair with moisture.

sassyhair

I have seen it done with a rollerset instead or curlers. It is the way they lay the curls on top of each other and separate them like with the end of a rattail comb. Kinda hard to explain it like I am thinking.

Dee-Licious

I rolled and dried my hair a little earlier. I'm sitting with saran wrap around my head now. I'm scared to remove the wrap. :lachen: :lachen:

glamazon386

sassyhair said:
I have seen it done with a rollerset instead or curlers. It is the way they lay the curls on top of each other and separate them like with the end of a rattail comb. Kinda hard to explain it like I am thinking.

Exactly. :lol: It's hard to explain. I'm gonna see if one of my friends has a picture of their hair like that. I had one from that easter but it's from the front so you can't really see my hair. Just the part down the middle.

ETA: Here y'all go... I hope she doesn't whoop my ass for posting this lol

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j294/bmoreflyygirl/hair.jpg

Last edited:

zora

I didn't realize this was a 'Baltimore' style, but I have seen it quite a bit here. Usually I see it at the Dominican salon, and from what I've seen, it actually looks better on longer hair than shorter hair.

glamazon386

zora said:
I didn't realize this was a 'Baltimore' style, but I have seen it quite a bit here. Usually I see it at the Dominican salon, and from what I've seen, it actually looks better on longer hair than shorter hair.

How are they getting it to stay on longer hair unless it's just the bangs in the front? I couldn't get it to do it for the life of me. Same thing with my moms hair. It falls. I only see shorter hair girls with it around here.

ETA: Ohhh I know what you're talking about. I saw it done in the Dom salon. It looks kind of flipped? It's not quite the same thing.

Dee-Licious

Pokahontas said:
How did it turn out?

It actually worked!!! :D

Usually when my hair is so far post relaxer my hair after a rollerset even after being wrapped for days is still puffy (think 80s pageant hair in Texas:eek: )

I took my rollers out, smoothed my hair into a wrap with a wrap brush, covered all of my hair even the top with the saran wrap and went back under the dryer for about 15 minutes. Was scared to remove it so I waited about another 40 minutes and my hair is actually laying down like a real wrap :) !!!

It doesn't look like i flatironed it, but it is smooth, flat, and pretty looking!! SOoooOoO worth a try!

Chinagem

when i relaxed, my stylist used to give me silk wraps. my hair would be so straight, bouncy, and silky that you'd swear that i was born with type 1 hair. she rollerset me, combed the rollerset out and wrapped my hair around my head, added something to it (maybe a glosser?), wrapped it with plastic, and stuck me back under the dryer. When she combed it down, oh my goodness it would just be so pretty.

baglady215

MsDee4 said:
It actually worked!!! :D

Usually when my hair is so far post relaxer my hair after a rollerset even after being wrapped for days is still puffy (think 80s pageant hair in Texas:eek: )

I took my rollers out, smoothed my hair into a wrap with a wrap brush, covered all of my hair even the top with the saran wrap and went back under the dryer for about 15 minutes. Was scared to remove it so I waited about another 40 minutes and my hair is actually laying down like a real wrap :) !!!

It doesn't look like i flatironed it, but it is smooth, flat, and pretty looking!! SOoooOoO worth a try!

Did you use a moisturizer before the saran wrap? This is very intersting. :)

morehairplease

Chinagem said:
when i relaxed, my stylist used to give me silk wraps. my hair would be so straight, bouncy, and silky that you'd swear that i was born with type 1 hair. she rollerset me, combed the rollerset out and wrapped my hair around my head, added something to it (maybe a glosser?), wrapped it with plastic, and stuck me back under the dryer. When she combed it down, oh my goodness it would just be so pretty.

once I get enough hair, I am going to ask my stylist to do this.

zora

bmoreflyygirl said:
How are they getting it to stay on longer hair unless it's just the bangs in the front? I couldn't get it to do it for the life of me. Same thing with my moms hair. It falls. I only see shorter hair girls with it around here.

ETA: Ohhh I know what you're talking about. I saw it done in the Dom salon. It looks kind of flipped? It's not quite the same thing.
Oh ok, then the flipped style is what I must be thinking about. The end product ends up looking Farrah Fawcett-ish. It looks cute.

anti_starlet

I really don't understand this, you rollerset it then you brush it out and wrap it?? How do the curls manage to stay in?! All my curls fall out within half an hour of me taking our the curlers...

buttaflye03

anti_starlet said:
I really don't understand this, you rollerset it then you brush it out and wrap it?? How do the curls manage to stay in?! All my curls fall out within half an hour of me taking our the curlers...

I think they are talking about two different styles.

The silk wrap is the one using the saran wrap. It makes your hair shiny and silky.

The feather wrap is the one with the flipped layers that are close to your head.

Am I right ladies?

I am very interested in trying out the saran wrap next time I rollerset. I would love to know what moisturizers people are adding to their hair before they put on the saran wrap.