Shout-out to Nichi and her marvelous hair!!

Beaute Noire

Yes Nichi your hair is beautiful and you have truly been an inspiration to me...even though I've been on the board for less than a year I've always admired your gorgeous hair :)

Barbie83

ITA with all the ladies, Nichi your hair is such an inspiration and you deserve all this praise and then some. Thanks again for the speedy, detailed responses to my plethora of questions :) You've been so helpful. I can't wait to get my summer install!

FtrDrO

Absolutely beautiful!!! And i'm also echoing the Naija sentiments already mentioned. You are a definite inspiration!!

preciouslove0x

you are also my naija inspiration as well!! i love to see african women on this board reach their goals. it just makes it that much real for me to know that i too can have healthy and long hair

thank you!!

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Oh, it's a hair moisturizer I made and it's the only product I use in my hair asides from heat protectant. I warm up shea butter block, not too much, just enough so that it melts when squeezed. I then add coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and either peppermint or rosemary oil (for scent/tingle) and whip it. It turns into a creamy, buttery spread that I use on my scalp and hair from roots to ends. All my friends use it now, it's so soft and moisturizing. I love it. I dont buy any other hair product to use on my hair.

Can you tell us the ratios on this mix?

Thanks

Kneechay

Oh, it's a hair moisturizer I made and it's the only product I use in my hair asides from heat protectant. I warm up shea butter block, not too much, just enough so that it melts when squeezed. I then add coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and either peppermint or rosemary oil (for scent/tingle) and whip it. It turns into a creamy, buttery spread that I use on my scalp and hair from roots to ends. All my friends use it now, it's so soft and moisturizing. I love it. I dont buy any other hair product to use on my hair.

Can you tell us the ratios on this mix?

Thanks

I'm going to be real honest, I dont measure. I put what 'feels right' in the mix. I put enough of the oils relative to how much shea butter I'm using. I hope that makes sense. You can add as much as you want of the oils because the shea butter creates the thick, creamy effect. I made a mix for my container and I use a fist-size block of shea and I used a quarter cup of olive and castor oil and like half a cup of coconut oil because I like it the most of the oils and like a teaspoon amount of peppermint oil before I whipped.

Tif392002

your hair is so pretty... im thinking about trying the jason biotin shampoo for my fine strands. would u say it help thicken your hair>?? your hair is lush

Taleah2009

I'm going to be real honest, I dont measure. I put what 'feels right' in the mix. I put enough of the oils relative to how much shea butter I'm using. I hope that makes sense. You can add as much as you want of the oils because the shea butter creates the thick, creamy effect. I made a mix for my container and I use a fist-size block of shea and I used a quarter cup of olive and castor oil and like half a cup of coconut oil because I like it the most of the oils and like a teaspoon amount of peppermint oil before I whipped.

I am all types of confused about the shea butter. is it that yellow shea butter that you can get at the BSS? the 100% african shea butter. I want to start using shea butter in my hair, especially when I am 100% natural but I am confused about how to use it.

Adaoba2012

Does the Shea butter mix make your hair feel greasy? And what about the weave? Would you say it is a mix more for naturals or would it work just as good on relaxed hair too?

Kneechay

your hair is so pretty... im thinking about trying the jason biotin shampoo for my fine strands. would u say it help thicken your hair>?? your hair is lush

Hey there, thanks!
I don't think I can adequate attribute my thickening to using that shampoo, I would say it is a great cleanser. I think my thicker hair is from 1) going natural, 2) reduced heat usage 3) my shea butter moisturizer. I think less manipulation and moisture overall are what helps. I do like the Jason line though.

I am all types of confused about the shea butter. is it that yellow shea butter that you can get at the BSS? the 100% african shea butter. I want to start using shea butter in my hair, especially when I am 100% natural but I am confused about how to use it.

The shea butter I have is straight from Africa. The girl made it as I shopped and I should've watched her, but I was too busy, distracted looking at African cloth :rolleyes:
My shea isn't yellow, it's like an off white, very light grey. Ive seen lots of types and color of shea butter, but this kind is the one I use the most. Ive never seen raw shea at any BSSes I've been to. Dont be confused, there are youtubes to help with finding the best way to use shea. Lots of resources out there. Many people mix it with oils. Check this girl's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RusticBeauty (LOVE HER) and here's her shea butter mix vid: 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DY5zvIlpQ, 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akxT0gJ67oo

Does the Shea butter mix make your hair feel greasy? And what about the weave? Would you say it is a mix more for naturals or would it work just as good on relaxed hair too?

Yeah, the mix makes my hair greasy, but it doesn't LOOK greasy. It makes my twistouts soft and bouncy and hair shiny. I dont put it on my weave, if it gets in the weave, I bend over in the sink and wash it out. I think the mix is great for ANY hair, but I'd say most for hair that isn't always using heat or always has to be straight. I think if you want to have straight hair, you can use less, I do when I flat iron. I also think it's great for wash and gos. I think the fact that I love to use this mix so much, causes me to use less heat because then I can saturate my hair in it.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Have you ladies seen Nichi's siggy picture :lick:

Nichi, you've been my hair idol for a minute and I just saw your siggy pic and I was like DANG!!! I need to get my protective style on.

I love it!! Especially that pony tail pic :drool::drool:...way to lush...ok...I'm done!!

LAWD ha' Mercy.... I scrolled down and :thud:

WOW!!!!! Gorgeous!!!!! - I need popeye's now :giggle:

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

i might try that mix with avocado butter instead. my hair hates shea butter in any non-commercial form for some reason, but avocado butter works great and isn't greasy. i agree, my product list should be really short, and it is, i just have so many DIFFERENT conditioners. LOL!

something i forgot....how are you getting your hair so straight (ex the ponytail)? is that a pro job, or DIY??? i always have this fuzzy "halo" around my head.

PDub

Now that's a ponytail!! I love it!! One day, one day.........I too will have a ponytail like that!!!

soulfusion

... and boy did you do a good job of it! What I like is that your reggie isn't overly complex. You hit some of the basics .. low manip, moisture, oil and worked it ... definitely food for thought.

Thanks, doll!! That weave PS will shock you! As for before I started, here is a pic of what it looked like, I was just grazing APL by the tip of my V

I felt I was so stuck at this position because it took FOREVER to get past it, so I took matters into my own hands.

amara11

Beeeeyoooteeful hair sis! :yep:
I have to add something else, too. Between you and Amara and Rabs, I'm so proud to see African women growing long hair.

Wow. So heartfelt. Thank you and you're sooo right about the bolded. A lot come to this country and in an effort to blend in, go over the board with the bad weaves and it leads to damage. Even in Nigeria, there's no real hair care mindset, most just cut it all off. I hope you post pics one day I am sooo curious about you and your hair too. Amara and Rabs are two of my hair idols and I'm only try to get to their level.

Yall are so sweet. :grouphug:

Lucky's Mom

i might try that mix with avocado butter instead. my hair hates shea butter in any non-commercial form for some reason, but avocado butter works great and isn't greasy. i agree, my product list should be really short, and it is, i just have so many DIFFERENT conditioners. LOL!

something i forgot....how are you getting your hair so straight (ex the ponytail)? is that a pro job, or DIY??? i always have this fuzzy "halo" around my head.

I don't do well with Shea products either - but - hey - each person is different...

Kneechay

tell me how you like it with avocado, i may try that with mine too.

I get my hair straight by blow drying after detangling well. My dryer has a comb attachment. Then after my heat protectant is applied, I flat iron at around 385 and then i silk wrap with saran wrap and sit under the hair dryer for 15 minutes. I then wrap with my satin scarf over night and it's straight.

NaturalBoss

True inspiration! I really love the ponytail because I don't like to wear my hair down. I can't wait til my hair is that long! Hmmm, silk wrap??? Never tried that before but I will put it on my "to try" list.