Should I relax my hair?

BeatriceFly

I know this seems way left field
And I am always up to something new

But I have been natural my whole life, with the exception of pressing for 5 years
And I am just tired of it
I feel like my hair breaks, tangles, and is dry way more being natural
And I have been looking at the relaxed ladies, and some of ya'll hair looks so healthy and pretty

If I do relax, which relaxer should I use? How often do I have to go? Is it expensive? Should I go the dominicans?

I feel like I'm either going to have to relax it or cut it off

adf23

your hair is gorgeous. puuleaze do not relax. based on your siggy pic, again please do not relax your hair. but then again, it is up to you. (speaking from someone transitioning to natural and would kill for all natural locks)

there are so many options to straighten, without having to do it permanently. Just please think long and hard before making a quick decision.

Last edited:

Integrity

mine....i would love hair like yours!!!!!!!!

phyto seems to be the deal these days, leaving the hair still thick and strong. just research on it and other relaxers. you could relax only three or four times a year to minimise chemical exposure.

SignatureBeauty

I Love your hair and wish that I had it! But Just like the op said I am sure it will look Beautiful either way!!! If that is what you want I say Go for it!!

SpyCats

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't do it...I LOVE your hair.

but then again it is your choice:ohwell:

Lusa

EbonyPerez,

Ultimately the decision is yours but like anything else I would say read up on it, and weigh the pros and cons. Are there other ladies that have the same texture you do that went from that length natural to relaxed? What are those regimens like?

I can understand the frustration of doing the same ole thing but this is big, it would be sad to go through buyers remorse once you've done it.

HTH.

SignatureBeauty

Lusa said:
EbonyPerez,

Ultimately the decision is yours but like anything else I would say read up on it, and weigh the pros and cons. Are there other ladies that have the same texture you do that went from that length natural to relaxed? What are those regimens like?

I can understand the frustration of doing the same ole thing but this is big, it would be sad to go through buyers remorse once you've done it.

HTH.

That is so True! But it sounds like you are just frustrated at the moment:D It will pass over Unless you have been thinking about this for awhile?

BeatriceFly

i am just so tired of being natural honestly
and i dont wanna press it, thats too much heat
and i feel like if i dont like it i'll just BC and start over!!!
im just nervous that it wont come out the way i want it to

Tee

EbonyPerez said:

Hi Ebony,

I will not say yah or naaa. But it really sounds like you want a change. You have stated that you BC either way. Do what you really feel best in your heart right now. Relaxed hair is not the devil. I love mine. Just make sure that is what you really want. Let me know what you decide.
* I love your hair now! It's so pretty.

LynnieB

EbonyPerez said:

But I have been natural my whole life, with the exception of pressing for 5 years
And I have been looking at the relaxed ladies, and some of ya'll hair looks so healthy and pretty

If I do relax, which relaxer should I use? How often do I have to go? Is it expensive? Should I go the dominicans?

hey sis, if your hair is already having dryness issues, a relaxer will only make it worse, right?

i just stalked your fotki (hope you don't mind :D) and i wondered if you colored or highlighted your hair? if so, then relaxing would definitely make things worse......

good luck whatever you decide (hopefully you'll stay natural).

BeatriceFly

absolutely dont mind!!!!
i sprayed some sun-in last year and it didnt change the texture or anything at all
LynnieB said:
hey sis, if your hair is already having dryness issues, a relaxer will only make it worse, right?

i just stalked your fotki (hope you don't mind :D) and i wondered if you colored or highlighted your hair? if so, then relaxing would definitely make things worse......

good luck whatever you decide (hopefully you'll stay natural).

Empress Yahudah

Letitia said:
Hi Ebony,

I will not say yah or naaa. But it really sounds like you want a change. You have stated that you BC either way. Do what you really feel best in your heart right now. Relaxed hair is not the devil. I love mine. Just make sure that is what you really want. Let me know what you decide.
* I love your hair now! It's so pretty.

:lol: At the bolded

I had been natural forever but now have been relaxed for alittle over a year now..AND LOVE IT...I love the versatility of it and I still have texture for wash and goes if i wanna... to each his own U kno :)

pattycake0701

NO!!!:naughty:

Okay seriously, I love your hair but you're young, have fun. If you want a change, go for it. If its not for you, you'll have plenty of support if you chose to trasition back to natural.

loveable37

Its up to U!!!!!

LHCF got amazing tips/advice on

RELAX HER
NATURAL HAIR

I say stay NATURAL,
iI wished i were 100 natural :) cuse it seems like RELAXED HAIR:perplexed really takes a lots of patients/time.so righ now i am taking a challenge goin without a relaxer for 6 months :confused: its hard .

Nice & Wavy

Hey,

I was relaxed before and then I did the BC and now I have been natural since August 2006.

When I was relaxed, I loved the fact that my hair flowed and it was easy to maintain with wraps and or rollersets. I also found that I had lots of styling options.

As a natural, I love the fact that I can just CW and add some products, put in a ponypuff/bun and go. I do use a lot more products in my hair now than I did when I was relaxed, so I spend a lot more, and it takes more time for me to get my hair the way I want it too, and styling options feel limited sometimes, but....I really do love it natural.

Hey, I say this:

Blessed if you do, blessed if you don't!

HTH

P

patient1

EbonyPerez said:

I just wanted to offer up my 7 day rule. If you feel this same way next week, go for it. And employ the no-regrets policy.

I just said this to someone else recently....but it really does help you live with your decision. You'll know it wasn't a whim. :)

p1

SleekandBouncy

EbonyPerez said:

Ignore our opinions and go with what YOU think would look best on your face and would enjoy most. I was natural until age 19. I enjoyed wearing my hair natural and sometimes I miss it, I wore twists and LOVED it. However I also enjoy wearing it relaxed. At some point I might go back for a little while, then again I might also cut it to a funky Rihanna like length.

As for your other questions:
Go to a salon that really cares about hair health for your relaxer. Maybe have a friend go in to a perspective salon for a wash n' set and watch how they apply the relaxer to other clients.
I go to a Dominican salon once a week for a wash and set because I have hard water at home and my hair is too long to rollerset without getting frustrated. I would recommend get relaxers done by a professional, but the maintenance depends on what gives you the best results.
I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil relaxer. I used to use Affirm, but I think it's too harsh for my hair.
Have had both textures I'd say having natural hair again would be so much easier for me now that I have this board. Relaxed hair has it's own trials; frizz, breakage, etc., neither is necessarily "easy" IMO.

ShiShiPooPoo

Have you really weighed the pros and cons?

I'm sure that you know that once it is relaxed, you can't get that natural curl again but...

with natural hair you can get it pretty straight, like a relaxer...

Have you thought about trying the Therma Smooth System by Mizani?

It is supposed to give wonderful relaxer like results with no reversion...and no committment.

Just a thought.:)

Bint Yusef

Same boat.

Ive been natural for 7 years, and I think I want to relax. I tried to a few months back with Phyto I , did not take. I guess technically I am not natural any more, but I have basically the same nappy hair before that experiment. I guess that gave me time to think.

Its bee on my brain for months now. I am going to get some braids for a few months and then see how I feel after that.

MrsHouston

Maybe you should try a lite texturizer. I transitioned for about 27 weeks and then got a texture softner. Mind you I only left it on for about 10 minutes, but it soften the texture just a little, you can hardly tell. This would give you something different and help w/ the dryness, tangles, & breakage. It did for me.

Also I added olive oil to mine too.