please look at my hair and tell me if I should relax.

Penspringz

Please advise me. I have not relaxed my hair since I was about 10, when I got a curly perm which I only retouched once. I have therefore been natural for about 10 years but my hair is still so short. The ends break off quite easily and i think its because they are curly and get dry easily. I am thinking of relaxing my hair to see if it would maintain length better since the ends would be straight.
I just turned 20 and feel like a change to the usual weaves, braids etc. that I do.

I am thinking that if my hair breaks I'll just cut it off and stop relaxing it. Please take a look at my album and let me know what your thoughts are as to whether or not I should relax. Please leave any comments.

http://public.fotki.com/Penspringz

EMJazzy

Happily retired
:nono: leave the perms alone....you are progressing quite nicely! :up:

Do you have a regimen? Are you taking vitamins?

DahomeyAhosi

I agree...I don't think relaxing is the right thing to do now for the health of your hair. I would also like to see your regimen.

Penspringz

EMJazzy said:
:nono: leave the perms alone....you are progressing quite nicely! :up:

Do you have a regimen? Are you taking vitamins?

Thanks for the reply. I can't say that I do have a regime. I wash my hair about every 2 weeks because I hate how dry it feels after I have washed it. Between washing its in cornows and I use surge. For moisture I use aqueous cream and seal in the moisture with hair grease.
I take multi vitamins when I remember.

Denim And Leather

Do you moisturize your ends? That would definitely help with the breakage (maybe you should try to baggie method.)

Other than that, I agree with the other ladies, I wouldn't relax. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Penspringz

DSylla said:
no, i don't think you should relax.

it'll only lead to more problems IMO.

I just feel like my hair is not growing and I get frustrated with how short it is and want to see some more length. I don't think short hair suites me so that's why I don't wear it out natural. I am thinking that I won't have the problem with shrinkage if I relax.

I was also thinking with regards to my hairline, that relaxing would straighten out the curls and make it look longer. I hope that makes sense.

Penspringz

Denim And Leather said:
Do you moisturize your ends? That would definitely help with the breakage (maybe you should try to baggie method.)

Other than that, I agree with the other ladies, I wouldn't relax. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I moistuise my ends daily and even wear a shower cap to bed.
How do you think I could maximse the length?

Denim And Leather

Have you considered flat ironing your hair? Also, when you wash your hair, do you ever deep condition it? I believe that would be very helpful in combating the dryness you experience after washing it.

DahomeyAhosi

I would add some MTG to your regimen if you are most concerned with fast growth but as far as maintaining the length you have I'd also add a glycerin based moisturizer like s-curl to the list. And instead of sealing with hair grease try some oils like olive oil or jojoba oil. I think the hair grease may prevent moisturizers to get to your hair the next day.

Denim And Leather

Penspringz said:
I moistuise my ends daily and even wear a shower cap to bed.
How do you think I could maximse the length?

Ok, my next question...how long have you been moisturizing your ends on a daily basis?

ETA- I agree with Dahomey on the hair grease, that could actually be keeping moisture out.

*Happily Me*

Penspringz said:
I just feel like my hair is not growing and I get frustrated with how short it is and want to see some more length. I don't think short hair suites me so that's why I don't wear it out natural. I am thinking that I won't have the problem with shrinkage if I relax.

I was also thinking with regards to my hairline, that relaxing would straighten out the curls and make it look longer. I hope that makes sense.

i think you should stay natural until your hair is nursed completely back to health.

about the hairline, i think if you relax, the hairline will look sparce because the hair will be straight. since it curls and coils, it looks fuller.

wait until it fills out more then relax if you still wish too.

IMO

I wouldn't advise you to relax. You seem to be doing fine without the relaxer. I would just use some Stasofro and Profectiv leave-in strengthener. That should help to keep your ends from breaking.

leleepop

I dont think you should relax. Try a braidout of something to kinda stretch your hair out sometimes. Your natural hair is actually quite becoming on you and I would nt chance putting the strong chemicals from a relaxer. Give your natural hair to chance to be in its optimum health and then play around with the thought of a relaxer.imho:)

RainbowCurls

Don't do it!
Your hair is gorgeous!

It probably doesn't seem like it's growing to you because of the shrinkage.

I agree with what others said about flat ironing, braidouts etc. if you want to see the length :)

Penspringz

Denim And Leather said:
Ok, my next question...how long have you been moisturizing your ends on a daily basis?

ETA- I agree with Dahomey on the hair grease, that could actually be keeping moisture out.

Well I have been moisturising my hair on a daily basis for about 6 weeks now. Do you think the breakage will stop?

I will definetely try the oils suggested. I think I have some olive oil, so i'l try that.

Cooyah

IF YOU DAAAAARRRREEEEEEEEE, I WILL SWIM TO ENGLAND AND FLOG YOU

The ladies have given you great suggestions, if your hair is unhealthy now it will not be healthy after relaxing, that will make it worse. Baby your hair to help it back to health. If after it's healthy you want to relax, then by all means, but a relaxer is NOT going to make it healthy.

ajargon02

DON'T PERM! Try to let thoes edges heal a bit hun. I think the perm might make it worse. Wait a bit, then after your hair heals a bit, think of doing it then.

Cheleigh

Maybe I missed this in your album, but what caused your hair loss around the hairline?

Yes, a relaxer will minimize/eliminate the shrinkage factor. But it may open up a whole new can of problems for you.

-If I'm to be perfectly honest, your hair, in its natural state, is a bit more flattering on you than the straight hair--actually, it looks gorgeous on you.

-You probably have a sensitive hairline, and that's going to be the case whether you are natural or relaxed. Be sure to keep tight braids, headbands away from your hairline. The more I manipulate my hair, the more tangled it becomes. I strive for minimal hair manipulation, especially after it's dry.

-Make sure you are getting plenty of water and moisture in that area. Do you condition wash instead of using shampoo? My natural hair cannot tolerate sulfate based shampoos, but loves conditioner washing and can tolerate occasional non-sulfate poos. My hair needs LOTS of moisture, and the best moisture out there is water (soft).

-If you don't want to get your hair soaking wet each day, you can spritz your scalp/hair with a moisture spritz. Here's my recipe:
-Filtered water w/honey
-Aloe vera juice
-Glycerine
-Jojoba oil
-Peppermint, rosemary, rosewater, sage essential oils

I agree with others--wait until you have mastered a healthy natural hair routine, and then make a decision about next steps after that. Bon chance ma soeur.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
DSylla said:
i think you should stay natural until your hair is nursed completely back to health.

about the hairline, i think if you relax, the hairline will look sparce because the hair will be straight. since it curls and coils, it looks fuller.

wait until it fills out more then relax if you still wish too.

IMO

ITA!! :yep:

SILKE74

Continue to do what you are doing plus try to moisturize more and DO NOT RELAX. Your progress is doing great it just doesnt seem like it to you because you see your hair everyday but dont let it get to you. Keep your head up

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Please don't relax your hair right now. You had to take a creme to help your scalp, right? That will just make things worse. The fact that u can braid your hair is a big plus. If I knew how to braid, I would never have relaxed my hair. Your hair is beautiful the way it is now.

Denim And Leather

Penspringz said:
Well I have been moisturising my hair on a daily basis for about 6 weeks now. Do you think the breakage will stop?

I will definetely try the oils suggested. I think I have some olive oil, so i'l try that.

Just be patient, since it sounds like you're new in your regimen. It takes awhile to get your hair back in good health, and you're already on your way to that! :yep: I think there will always be a broken strand of hair here and there, but if you continue to baby your hair like the other ladies on her have suggested, you will see significantly less breakage.

Denim And Leather

Cheleigh said:
Maybe I missed this in your album, but what caused your hair loss around the hairline?

Yes, a relaxer will minimize/eliminate the shrinkage factor. But it may open up a whole new can of problems for you.

-If I'm to be perfectly honest, your hair, in its natural state, is a bit more flattering on you than the straight hair--actually, it looks gorgeous on you.

-You probably have a sensitive hairline, and that's going to be the case whether you are natural or relaxed. Be sure to keep tight braids, headbands away from your hairline. The more I manipulate my hair, the more tangled it becomes. I strive for minimal hair manipulation, especially after it's dry.

-Make sure you are getting plenty of water and moisture in that area. Do you condition wash instead of using shampoo? My natural hair cannot tolerate sulfate based shampoos, but loves conditioner washing and can tolerate occasional non-sulfate poos. My hair needs LOTS of moisture, and the best moisture out there is water (soft).

-If you don't want to get your hair soaking wet each day, you can spritz your scalp/hair with a moisture spritz. Here's my recipe:
-Filtered water w/honey
-Aloe vera juice
-Glycerine
-Jojoba oil
-Peppermint, rosemary, rosewater, sage essential oils

I agree with others--wait until you have mastered a healthy natural hair routine, and then make a decision about next steps after that. Bon chance ma soeur.

I totally agree with this! :up:

Aalize

Cheleigh said:

I'd like to know too.

You need to address how your hair got this way before you dare think about applying any chemical treatments.

sweetgal

It's really up to you to meak your decison. However, seeing that in the past you had breakage I would avoid perms. Also if you natural hair is already weak then a perm will only make you natural hair weaker. I would just leave you beautiful soft hair alone and lighly flat iron once in a while for a change.

I relax my hair but not bone straight and that's only beacause I can do any better for the time being. Good luck girl

Ebonygurl00

Relaxing is a no-no right now for you. Please let your hair get as healthy as it can, and then if you really want to relax, go for it.