Should I do a protein treatment or a moisture treatment before braids?

deontaer

Hi Fam,

Question..I'm going to get feed-in flat twist conrows either tomorrow or Thursday and I wanted to know if you think it's best to do a protein treatment, a moisture treatment or both before I get them done? Also, if I do the protein treatment, should I do a heavy treatment, like the aphogee that makes your hair hard, or the 2 minute?

remnant

I really don't know, but as natural I have decided to do aphogee (FOLLOWED BY A VERY MOISTURIZING TREATMENT) before my individual braids with extensions (Crown and Glory) (every 6weeks)

MzOptimistic

I would do a protein treatment. I have never used the heavy duty Aphoghee treatment but if your hair is shedding alot or breaking and if you have used it before you could use that but follow up with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. If your hair is not damaged, you can use the 2 minute treatment, sit under the dryer for 30 minutes with the 2 minute treatment if you use it. HTH:)

Bosslady1

I have been doing C&G since febraury this year. So far, So good! I have an extra 2 inches of hair on my head!:yep:

What I normally do is use a mild protein treat (aveda dr) before I braid and follow up with moisture until I take my braids out. Once I take my braids out, I do another protein treat.

deontaer

Thanks ladies. I don't have any breakage or shedding other than just the norm - but my last 2 texlaxs didn't come out too hot and I have some really underprocessed areas and some straight areas, so I just want to make sure my hair is as stong as possible before braiding.

MzOptimistic

deontaer said:
Thanks ladies. I don't have any breakage or shedding other than just the norm - but my last 2 texlaxs didn't come out too hot and I have some really underprocessed areas and some straight areas, so I just want to make sure my hair is as stong as possible before braiding.

You can do a light protein treatment, since your hair is not breaking.

CAPlush

Choose a balanced treatment. Something that will give your hair some elasticity and help it to retain moisture going into the braids seem best. The Aphogee 2 min is a good choice.

Proudpiscean

I would do both. Something like Duo tex, followed by a moisturizing deep conditioning with plastic cap & heat :)