Shampoo Before or After Protein Treatment

julzinha

Hey Ladies,

I'm trying out a stronger protein treatment of Neutral Protein Filler tomorrow when I remove my braids. I plan on clarifying after a coconut oil preppy. But I was wondering if I the next step should be the protein treatment then a moisturizing poo afterwards with a final moisturizing DC. Or if I should just do the protein treatment then moisturizing DC with no moisturizing poo.

I'm curious, if using a moisturizing poo after the protein treatment will minimize the effects of the treatment?

Evolving78

Hey Ladies, I'm trying out a stronger protein treatment of Neutral Protein Filler tomorrow when I remove my braids. I plan on clarifying after a coconut oil preppy. But I was wondering if I the next step should be the protein treatment then a moisturizing poo afterwards with a final moisturizing DC. Or if I should just do the protein treatment then moisturizing DC with no moisturizing poo. I'm curious, if using a moisturizing poo after the protein treatment will minimize the effects of the treatment?
that sounds like a plan. I've read from a few stylists that practices this to remove the residue from the treatment.

Britt

that sounds like a plan. I've read from a few stylists that practices this to remove the residue from the treatment.

I agree. I always do a light poo after I use a heavyish protein treatment. It removes some of the residue and makes it much easier for the moisturizing treatment to really balance the protein. I've been doing this for yearssssssssss using protein treatments like Emergencee and Penetraitt back in the day. Now I use Komaza and even with that I prefer to lightly poo afterwards and then apply my moisturizing treatment. It makes the moisturizing treatment literally melt into my strands and my hair feels awesome. When I used Komaza and didn't do a light poo I could feel a coating on my hair and my moisturizing conditioner didn't really penetrate as it normally would.

I clarify beforehand.

mshoneyfly

I just started using the Nexxus Polymedic Emergence Reconstructor. The instructions say to poo and DC afterwards but it says apply to clean wet hair.

So I did just what you said OP: prepoo with coconut oil, clarifying poo, reconstructor, moisturizing poo, then DC. I've only used it twice but I can see a noticeable improvement in shine, breakage and hydration :yep:

I LOVE this HHJ!!

ManeStreet

This is the order I use.

Shampoo
Protein treatment (nexxus emergencee)
Shampoo (necessary if the directions on the protein ask for it)
Deep condition (a must!)

Deep conditioning does not undo the protein treatment, it's actually very beneficial to add that moisture back into your hair because protein treatments tend to make the hair dry so the deep conditioner balances it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I shampoo before and after, because that's what the directions say (Nexxus Emergencee). The first lather is to remove buildup, the second lather is to get the excess protein off of your hair. After the second wash I follow up with a moisturizing dc.

CodeRed

I just started using the Nexxus Polymedic Emergence Reconstructor. The instructions say to poo and DC afterwards but it says apply to clean wet hair.

That's funny. Apply to clean wet hair but no instructions to shampoo until after the treatment :lol:

So I did just what you said OP: prepoo with coconut oil, clarifying poo, reconstructor, moisturizing poo, then DC. I've only used it twice but I can see a noticeable improvement in shine, breakage and hydration :yep:

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I am doing the same thing with the Nexxus Polymedic. Pre poo, shampoo, polymedic, poo then DC. I've only used it once but I LOVED the results. I am gearing up to splurge on a larger bottle.

I'll alternate weekly between that and Nexxus Emergencee. Those two have become my staple strengtheners. I transitioned from Aphogee 2 minutes. I've never used a heavier protein than these three products.

I am in a little bind as far as the followup DC. Harmon's stopped stocking Nexxus Humectress Deep conditioner which is the only moisture DC I used. Deep ceramides moisturizing conditioners are rare.

biznesswmn

Well at least i figured out why polymedic seemed to be a fail!
I wasnt shampooing it out. Just conditioning.

Gonna hav to try that again one day, the right way. Thanks LHCF

mshoneyfly

I am doing the same thing with the Nexxus Polymedic. Pre poo, shampoo, polymedic, poo then DC. I've only used it once but I LOVED the results. I am gearing up to splurge on a larger bottle. I'll alternate weekly between that and Nexxus Emergencee. Those two have become my staple strengtheners. I transitioned from Aphogee 2 minutes. I've never used a heavier protein than these three products. I am in a little bind as far as the followup DC. Harmon's stopped stocking Nexxus Humectress Deep conditioner which is the only moisture DC I used. Deep ceramides moisturizing conditioners are rare.

I ordered my Humectress from Amazon. I'm gonna look into the ingredients for the Emergencee bc I want to know whats the diff. If anyone finds an ingredients list, please post if you have time.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

CodeRed

I'm glad I read this thread - the posts to a good job of explaining the "residue" a protein treatment can leave. I did a protein treatment yesterday and debated on whether to co-wash with a clarifying conditioner first then moisturizing conditioner... I didn't do the clarifying conditioner first because while washing the protein treatment out it felt really soft so I just did the moisturizing. I dried my hair and now it feels a slightly crunchy... It may just be me but I should've used the clarifying conditioner to wash some of the residue off. I'm probably going to co-wash today to do that.

soulglo

Shampoo before
But i guess it depends on thr conditioner and direction
I use aphogee

Last edited:

julzinha

Thanks ladies for all the advice.

I took out my braids yesterday. I prepooed and baggyed with olive oil and coconut oil overnight.

Then I clarified/chelated my hair with a mix of VO5 Kiwi Clarifying and ORS Aloe

Next, I mixed a heaping tbsp of AO GPB as a base and two tbsp Neutral Protein filler.
I have to say this was the BEST protein treatment I've used thus far. My hair sucked it up, was soft and strong. I don't know why I waited so long to try Neutral Protein Filler it is one of the best and affordable protein treatments out there. This product is pretty much pure protein and is a new staple in my reggie.

Then, I did a light shampoo with CON Argan Oil, and rinsed.

Last, I DCed with Curl Junkie Curl Rehab mixed with oils. I love this DC, it would be a staple if it wasn't for the price.

Finished, with the Kimmaytube leave in mix.

julzinha

I'm glad I read this thread - the posts to a good job of explaining the "residue" a protein treatment can leave. I did a protein treatment yesterday and debated on whether to co-wash with a clarifying conditioner first then moisturizing conditioner... I didn't do the clarifying conditioner first because while washing the protein treatment out it felt really soft so I just did the moisturizing. I dried my hair and now it feels a slightly crunchy... It may just be me but I should've used the clarifying conditioner to wash some of the residue off. I'm probably going to co-wash today to do that.

CodeRed I would suggest a light poo possibly diluted with water instead. Try a moisturizing shampoo or light cleanser like Jessicurl Cleanser.