PLEASE RECOMMEND A GOOD PROTEIN TREATMENT FOR ME!

Wolftrap

I realized I use Keracare Humecto and that is a moisturizing treatment. I wanted a protein treatment. Can any recommend a good one for me? Also how necessary is it for this protein treatment? How often should you do one and can you do both a moisture treatment AND protein treatment at the same time?

myco

I'm a 4a also and I really like Keraphix mixed with or followed by the Humecto. I had been doing "test" deep conditions with some other things, but my hair was so dry and felt really brittle. Just two treatments with these two conditioners and I feel like I have a different head of hair from the previous treatments.

I wonder if mixing the two allows one to drag the other deeper into the hairshaft. I'm not sure if that's actually possible, but that's my theory. As an eternal PJ, I think that is going to be my new deep conditioning regimen. For now . . .

moneychaser

Emergencee, I haven't seen over 5 broken hairs since I relaxed (5 wks). I have been using it weekly since I just recieved my first relaxer after coloring.

EDT:
For weekly protein treatments I recommend dudley hair rebuilders /images/graemlins/grin.gif

webby

Think Slim
I love Nexxus KerapHix and Emergencee. I follow up with a deep moisturing conditioner after both. I had some serious shedding and it stopped instantly.

moneychaser

Protein treatments has kept my breakage at a minimal...
For me yes they are necessary, because my hair is permanently colored. I am relaxered, also and relaxers break down the protein bonds in hair, ekkkkkkk leaving it weak and susceptible to breakage.
Protein fills in the gaps on the cuticle=making it stronger

Wolftrap

I am thinking I am going to try Penetrait from Sebastian. My stylist used this on my hair a few times. I will see how this works out.

myco

I think they are for my hair, since it's relaxed. Especially as the hair gets older. I think it gives my hair more structure and "uuumph". That way it doesn't look as worn and thin on the ends as it gets longer. Also I think my hair can get "mushy" when using moisturizing conditioners that really bind to the hair. But I think consistently using a clarifying shampoo along with protein conditioners takes care of that.

candibaby

Nexxus Keraphix is the BEST EVER!
but Nexxus Phyto Organics Enphuse is a very close second /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith

So, if one is using Keraphix which is a protein conditioner do they need Emergencee too? I jsut don't see why both are needed. Don't they do the same thing?

myco

I think Emergencee is more intense, while Keraphix would be on more of a maintenance level. I just have the Keraphix, since I don't have any breakage issues right now. (Knock on wood)

LABETT

Dudley's DRC is best protein treatment for my hair and I usually follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
I use DRC every six weeks and it is very effective I will never be without this product.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum

I dont think they're necessary only because I never used a protein treatment before joining this forum and my hair grew long and strong anyway!

bettydavis

Aubrey Organics GPB. I will never use another deep conditioner again.... I don't even need to follow it up with anything, it's a very gentle protein treatment that leaves your hair soft AND stops breakage. I use it weekly when I'm not in braids. If I am, I dilute it and use it once every 2 weeks.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
So, if one is using Keraphix which is a protein conditioner do they need Emergencee too? I jsut don't see why both are needed. Don't they do the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, except that Emergencee is way stronger and cannot be used nowhere near as often as Keraphix. If you're looking for a protein conditioner you might want to try Keraphix, but if you want an actual protein treatment to use only when you're having breakage problems, I'd say go with the Emergencee.

Faith

Hmmm, so I guess I will use the Aubrey GPB as my protein conditioner instead of buying more products and use Emergencee as my protein treatment since I didn't really like the aphogee one. Thanks all. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

northernbelle

Kera Care makes the Protein Reconstructor. You may want to try it. I do not use it, but since you use the Humetco, I figured you may want to consider it.

My hair responds to Aubrey Organics GPB okay. The same for the Joico K-Pak.

I tend to allow my stylist to apply the protein treatments as needed.

northernbelle

northernbelle

harigeek

Hi Wolftrap - I've been using UBH Conditioner as a protein treatment twice a week since February and it has worked wonders for me. I am natural and my hair has gotten so much fuller since I started using UBH.

I wash with a regular shampoo and then apply the UBH. I sit under a hooded dryer for about 30 minutes. I do this about twice a week and I cannot believe what it's doing to my hair. The difference between the bottom of my hair and top is like night and day. The top is see-through and the bottom is not and in some parts I can't push my fingers through my hair without some effort.

So --- I highly recommend UBH Conditioner! But please remember to moisturise well with a water-based moisturiser after wards because it will make your hair hard.

It's worked for me and I hope it works for you!!!

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
Aubrey Organics GPB. I will never use another deep conditioner again.... I don't even need to follow it up with anything, it's a very gentle protein treatment that leaves your hair soft AND stops breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote is for GPB too /images/graemlins/up.gif

RachelL

I use GPB on a routine basis, but every six weeks I use Dudley's Hair Rebuilder. My hair always feels noticeably stronger after using this.

Faith

I have that Affirm reconstructor northernbelle (the 5 in 1???) it's ok. But, I think I'll save it for my step 4 of my relaxer process.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
I have that Affirm reconstructor northernbelle (the 5 in 1???) it's ok. But, I think I'll save it for my step 4 of my relaxer process.

[/ QUOTE ]

No; I don't believe it is the 5 in 1. It is a stand-alone reconstructor.

northernbelle

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably referring to the Keracare Super Reconstructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. Thank you; I could not remember the name at the time I posted my remarks.

northernbelle

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Are protein treatmens necessary? This is really my big question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are,especially if one's hair has been chemically altered some way, i.e. relaxer, curl, color.

I believe, however, that most over-use them, and/or do not really understand what proteins actually do to and for the hair.

My mother, for example, who is natural and presses her hair, may only need a protein treatment once every other month.

northernbelle