Should I cut my hair....

Iluvsmuhgrass

Sistas I have a question.... and I'm honestly torn. I have relaxed highlighted hair. My hair doesn't like color and so over time the highlights are shedding. My question is this... what should I do? Should I get them cut out by getting a blunt ear bob (which would suck because I'm close to APL) or should I keep them and just do protective styling until the spring? Is there a way to treat the highlights without risking further damage? It's not dry.... just fragile.

I dreamt last night that I cut all of my hair off.... I was so sad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

balisi

My immediate advice is that you shouldn't cut your hair to get rid of the highlights. I'm not sure how heavily your hair is highlighted, but reconstructors alternated with moisturizing deep conditioners should help rebuild your hair's strength. Rollersets and other curly hairstyles should camouflage any damage, as well as be easier on your hair since little manipulation is required. Protective styles are definitely the way to go.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree....
balisi said:
My immediate advice is that you shouldn't cut your hair to get rid of the highlights. I'm not sure how heavily your hair is highlighted, but reconstructors alternated with moisturizing deep conditioners should help rebuild your hair's strength. Rollersets and other curly hairstyles should camouflage any damage, as well as be easier on your hair since little manipulation is required. Protective styles are definitely the way to go.

Tayw29

have you considered darkening your hair to one solid color, or maybe even trying henna. as you can see in my siggy i lighten my hair in the center of my head :confused: and it caused a lot of damage im still recuperating from but once i darkened my hair it changed the health of my hair considerably and stopped the excessive breakage i was experiencing and then i used the henna and that has strengthened my hair even more. so maybe u should think about that before you cut. I wouldnt cut IMO but good luck on ur decision........HTH :)

locabouthair

balisi said:

i agree. rollersets can make your hair look soooooooo much fuller. and they are cute. i shudder when i see my hair without curls but after i rollerset it i get many compliments and it looks a lot fuller. i dont know much about color, i've never had any but i'd say just baby your hair. moistrize and deep condition often. i think with color you have to keep your hair moisturized than usual. HTH.

balisi

locabouthair said:
i agree. rollersets can make your hair look soooooooo much fuller. and they are cute. i shudder when i see my hair without curls but after i rollerset it i get many compliments and it looks a lot fuller. i dont know much about color, i've never had any but i'd say just baby your hair. moistrize and deep condition often. i think with color you have to keep your hair moisturized than usual. HTH.
Yes, I cannot overemphasize just how important it is to keep color treated hair well conditioned/moisturized. Ideally, the conditioning treatments should start in advance of the color service and be continued on a regular basis. The last set of highlights (double process) I received had me worried that my hair was going to suffer some damage. Not to contribute to anyone's PJism, but I immediately began using Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-In Conditioner and thankfully, no color damage. That is what worked for ME.

hairmaster

Deep condition with moisterizing conditioner for damaged hair REDKEN makes a good one and follow up with the ANTI-SNAP leave in by REDKEN ALSO.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thank yall so much. My hair is moisturized but I just noticed that the highlighted hair was breaking so my ends are thinner. I'm tempted to try the henna but I'm so scared that my hair's going to be fickle about that too. I'm thinking about starting a hair diary so when I feel the need to get color, I can remember how it ravaged my hair.

I was just feeling the same way with my hair. I had colored my hair in Feb, and I loved it and so did everybody else. But during the summer I experience bad breakage. My hair has short spots in the middle and my already thin hair is looking extremely thin. I dont want to cut my hair but i was starting to feel like that was my only choice. So my question is what do you do once you already experience the breakage.

crlsweetie912

I had full head double processed color. I didn't do a BC, but over the year, I did a couple of aggresive trims. This was before the board and it was very badly damaged. If I had known what I know now, I probably could have saved that hair. But, either way, you will eventually come out with healthy hair. I still have about 2 inches of colored ends, that I will eventually get rid of as I trim, but I am not cutting them all off at once.

ETA: You can see it in these two pictures, but the colored ends are not damaged anymore.

Last edited:

sexyaqr

I don't believing in cutting(really scared of scissors). But when I was younger I went through the same thing. I highlighted and my hair hated and was coming out by the handfuls. Instead of cutting it off, I conditioned, conditioned, conditioned. No heavy grease or anything like that. I was washing and deep conditioning my hair every three days religiously. I never wore my hair down and it kept my most of my hair on my head until the highlight grew out. In between washes, no combing or brushing either.

Alright ladies well is good to know that I dont have to cut my hair all off at once. Im gonna work on it and hopefully it will be look right in a few months.