Do I Cut my damaged hair

DO I CUT MY DAMAGED HAIR

• Total voters

ronakajones

I have overprocessed my hair and its shedding and breaking like crazy, Especially in the center. . My question is do I Cut my damage hair off and start over fresh or do I not cut and just nuture? I have purchase the entire Aphogee Line and intend on using it from not on.

FlawedBeauty

all depends on you. i opted just to let my broken off side grow out and cut gradually. didnt wanna cut it all at once lol. couldnt let the longer side go :lachen: i always wore it up anyways so no one ever saw it.

locabouthair

Is it thin? If so I would just cut it.

Your hair looks very healthy in your siggy.

If it's one spot thats damaged, I would nuture it. I have two spots like that and if I tried to even everything out, I'd barely have any hair on my head.

MsCounsel

While growing out my hair, I chose NOT to cut. To me it defeats the purpose. I wore my hair up everyday in protective styles and gradually TRIMMED off the bad areas. As you can see from my siggy, my left side was pretty chewed up. I just was patient and then it seemed to simply fill in. HTH

Fine 4s

I decided to trim as I went along...my heat damaged ends break very easily and can't wait to have a full head of healthy hair. Plus, I think I'll be able to retain length even more!

ronakajones

Is it thin? If so I would just cut it.

Your hair looks very healthy in your siggy.

If it's one spot thats damaged, I would nuture it. I have two spots like that and if I tried to even everything out, I'd barely have any hair on my head.

Thanks. Its getting thin. It mostly the front and center. The back is still good.

While growing out my hair, I chose NOT to cut. To me it defeats the purpose. I wore my hair up everyday in protective styles and gradually TRIMMED off the bad areas. As you can see from my siggy, my left side was pretty chewed up. I just was patient and then it seemed to simply fill in. HTH

You hair is great. Its amazing your progress.

I decided to trim as I went along...my heat damaged ends break very easily and can't wait to have a full head of healthy hair. Plus, I think I'll be able to retain length even more!

I may try this.

longhairlover

I know trimming any type of hair is very painful.....but I would trim the damaged ends, because all it will do is just move on up in your hair and more damage will spread.

I just had to do this and now i'm back to sl :( ....tears, but I had to do it, I dont get trims like i should so it had to be done,,,,,dun dun dun......and normally when i'm at sl it grows back faster to apl...but to bsl....dun dun dun.....lmao

hillytmj

I agree with the other ladies, I would nurture it and let it grow in since it's only affecting one small area. When my hair was damaged, I let it go and gradually trimmed off the damage. It didn't take very long to get it healthy again with the proper care, vitamins, etc.

TLC1020

Great thread...
I don't really have any suggestions but what I did was cut my damaged hair. I am wearing my hair up in a bun for the most part but when I shampoo and condition I could not stand looking at the damaged parts so that's why I decided to cut the damage off. I don't suggest that if it's not what you want to do at this time.

ronakajones

I agree with the other ladies, I would nurture it and let it grow in since it's only affecting one small area. When my hair was damaged, I let it go and gradually trimmed off the damage. It didn't take very long to get it healthy again with the proper care, vitamins, etc.

Thats what I'm thinking too. I used Aphogee last night and my hair feels much better. I will be using this weekly and see how it goes. Maybe in January, I will do a small trim and see if its better.

Great thread...
I don't really have any suggestions but what I did was cut my damaged hair. I am wearing my hair up in a bun for the most part but when I shampoo and condition I could not stand looking at the damaged parts so that's why I decided to cut the damage off. I don't suggest that if it's not what you want to do at this time.

Your hair is beautiful!!!

MAMATO

I dont know where your overprocessed hair is ... but if it is in the back, don't even worry the back grows faster in most cases. When I first started last year, my hair had a W shape due to post-pregnancy shedding and breakages, I never cut it, only 2 or 3 dusts since then and guess what I have a V shape now. The back grows incredibly fast and honestly I never thought I had a V shape naturally until I stopped triming and cutting. HTH :)

cmperez

I'm in the same boat. I'm currently trying to nurture my hair, keep the split ends and breakage from spreading and trim it a little every month as it grows out. I can't bring myself to chop it all off. I'd probably have to cut it chin length if I do. :sad:

Solitude

I voted no. However, when I started my journey I cut off about 2 inches and nurtured my hair with moisture. I think it depends on how much damage you have. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have cut. I think my hair was not as bad as I thought. It just need the split ends dusted and some TLC.

ceedeelight

I actually had to call a friend and ask her to cut my damaged ends off Tuesday. She cut about an inch off. I tried to keep it dusted over the months, but my hair was doing some crazy shedding and just wouldn't stop. Today it's so much better---Now I just need to maintain and keep it protected.

If the Aphrogee keeps working, keep doing that, but if you don't see the results you want over time, you might have to cut it.

MoniintheMiddle

IMO, it depends on whether you desire to wear it out or not. If you have severe breakage/damaged ends and you wear it out, it usually doesn't hold a curl and it doesn't look all that great. However, if you are wearing it up...especially now that the weather has changed...I would trim gradually and bascially let the damage heal itself being sure to nurture it with the right products.

marla

all depends on you. i opted just to let my broken off side grow out and cut gradually. didnt wanna cut it all at once lol. couldnt let the longer side go :lachen: i always wore it up anyways so no one ever saw it.

That is exactly what I am doing now. My nape is only NL and my sides are almost APL. there is no way I'm cutting my hair to NL, so I am gradually dusting/trimming, babying it, and bunning! So far so good. No one can tell because I wear it up!