Should I clarify?

G

When I take my braids out, I was wondering if I should use some type of clarifying shampoo instead of a regular shampoo. Since joining the board, I now realize the importance of frequent clarifying and I was wondering if I should use a clarifier of some sort since my braids have been in for awhile. In the past when I took out all my braids, I always used regular shampoo. As a matter of fact, I never used any type of clarifying shampoo-Never-but now I know it is important to incorporate in haircare maintenance. Questions: Should I clarify for the first shampoo out of braids or not? Would the clarifying shampoo be harsh on hair that is already fragile because it have been in the braids for awhile? I did use a few products (moisturizers, oils, etc) on the braids while they were in-which makes me believe that I may have buildup..I was just wondering if it would be too harsh to use a clarifier or not....

cutebajangirl

I would use oils as I am taking the braids out then I would due a preshampoo condition, then I would use a clarifying shampoo an continue on from there.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
probably not a bad idea to clarify if you used alot of products while you were in braids

G

Thanks for the replies and the link..I found the groafrolong website very helpful.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
probably not a bad idea to clarify if you used alot of products while you were in braids

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

G

Re: Should I clarify?....Need Advice

Okay, someone said that they had tangles in their hair after clarifying..so I'm assuming they clarified after taking out braids and their hair was tangled...I'm not sure if I should clarify or not now-I never done that in the past. Also, I wanted to do a protein treatment (Aphogee) but I'm afraid it might take my hair out too with all the tangling..(I've heard some horror stories about it)I have very thin hair that is worse esp. if I am taking out braids. Should I wait to do a clarifying and protein treatment? Has anyone with braids done this and what was your experience?

YOTEGRA

I did a braidout and then clarified followed by a aphogee treatment yesterday. Now I'm stuck with a tangled mess that I don't know what to do with. I know a braidout is not braids, but I hope this helps anyway.

G

Thanks yotegra for responding...it seems like a bad idea now to me...maybe I will just use a regular shampoo instead of a clarifying one...and if I will hold off on the protein unless I really need it.

G

How does everyone else with braids "treat" their hair when they take it out?

Nonie

Natori, I'll say to you what I said to someone else who asked the same question since I personally don't do anything out of the ordinary when I take my braids out...but that may be a mistake so don't listen to me. I suggested to the enquirer to go to www.growafrohairlong.com and read Robin's regimen after braids regimen. She has the hair to prove her regimen works. Also you might want to check out Den1's regimen. She also is proof that hers works.

LiqueXX

When I take my braids out I just use a regular shampoo. I will probably shampoo about three times. I think I would use a clarifying shampoo if I used alot of products on my hair (I only use braid spray and oil) or did not wash weekly while my hair was braided (I do because of scalp issues). If I did clarify (probably once) after removing braids, then I would definitely use a moisturizing shampoo afterwards.

Zoe

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
How does everyone else with braids "treat" their hair when they take it out?

[/ QUOTE ]
WHenever I have braids and I take them out..

I always untangle my hair before I even wash my hair.. I shampoo with a detangling shampoo and deep condition by sitting under the dryer..

Sometimes I'll use a hot oil treatment but I always sit under the dryer for 15 mins with my cholesterol conditioner..

That helps alot

G

Thanks Zoe, I think that is what I am going to do myself after hearing all these "horror" stories.

tasha

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Okay, someone said that they had tangles in their hair after clarifying..so I'm assuming they clarified after taking out braids and their hair was tangled...I'm not sure if I should clarify or not now-I never done that in the past. Also, I wanted to do a protein treatment (Aphogee) but I'm afraid it might take my hair out too with all the tangling..(I've heard some horror stories about it)I have very thin hair that is worse esp. if I am taking out braids. Should I wait to do a clarifying and protein treatment? Has anyone with braids done this and what was your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just took my cornrows out on Sunday (28th). I had them in for two weeks. For the two weeks I would conditioner wash at least 3-4 times a week with a diluted condtioner. After the cw I would rinse and spray my roots and hair with my distilled water/glycerin/hot6oil mix, surge and braid spray. Morning and night I would use the braid spray and surge. When I took my braids out; I had no problem with tangles. I did a Hot oil treatment for about an hour and half. Then I clarified followed by a moisturizing shampoo. I also did a protien treatment (Nexxus Emergence) and followed that with a moisturizing conditioner. The overall (after braid) experience was fine. I don't think I lost anymore hair than I would over a two week period (it probably was even less)
HTH