Should Christians Marry or Remain Single?

momi

Tim Keller speaks on the 1 Corinthians 7 passage:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/t...singlehood-vs-marriage-gospel-message-115611/

"If you have a wife, do not seek to end the marriage. If you do not have a wife, do not seek to get married. But if you do get married, it is not a sin. And if a young woman gets married, it is not a sin. However, those who get married at this time will have troubles, and I am trying to spare you those problems. But let me say this, dear brothers and sisters: The time that remains is very short. So from now on, those with wives should not focus only on their marriage," Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 7:27-29 (NLT).

"What this means is we do get married, we do buy and sell, we do find employment all in light of the future. If you are married it's good, if you remain unmarried then that is okay too. All things should be done in light of the future."

I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire message, but I appreciate his views on this scripture that I've found in the past to be a little difficult to interpret. Just thought I'd share ...

(SN - he doesn't start speaking until about 10 or so minutes in...)

momi.... Is he married? :look:

The person on the video? :lol:

I'm being snarky. :lol: I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for sharing, Sweetheart. :yep:

momi.... Is he married? :look:

The person on the video? :lol:

I'm being snarky. :lol: I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for sharing, Sweetheart. :yep:

:lachen:I know right.

Yes he is. He is the author of one of my favorite books on marriage.
Tim Keller "The Meaning of Marriage".

This sermon was delivered at a singles conference.

It seems that it's the 'married' ones who 'be' telling single Christians not to be so focused on Marriage. Okay, it's easy for them to say. :rolleyes:

But then we have singles trying to abstain from pre-marital sex.

It's obvious, I have yet to watch the video.... :rofl:

In my Ministry I fully persuade singles to marry and I help (push) them to the Altar as much as I can. :yep:

My famous theme: "It IS God's Will for You to be Married" :yep: and it is, indeed, God's Will.

I'm not the most seasoned Christian but if Christians don't marry where will Lil Christians come from? I also didn't watch the video.

That was not what he taught in the video ladies. Lol

He was giving an explanation on the 1 Corinth scripture which is necessary because this passage is problematic for many.

He actually ended with the conclusion that yes - Christians should indeed marry.

Good post, momi...

I agree with how he broke down the difference between marriage from a biblical perspective and marriage from two perspectives: Western and traditional cultures, which both, IMHO, help contribute to heartache and disappointment.

Look at our society today - it's reported more people can now divorce because the economy is getting better, so they can afford to move out and get a new place, not get gouged by child support, etc. What does that say? To me, it says people are marrying to fulfill their own individual needs, until they are met. Then the marriage is no longer needed. I don't believe that's what marriage is about. Not everyone is Christian, of course. But it is things like that that underscores God's way is the best way.

And when he this:
"On the one hand, what this means, is this exalted view of marriage where I give myself…to my marriage partner to help my marriage partner be everything that Christ wants him or her to be. It's supposed to be a way of service and not just self-fulfillment," said Keller. "On the other hand, marriage can never give you all the things that you are really looking for. It's only in Jesus' arms that you can ever really find what you are looking for in a spouse and it's only in the family of God and the church."

a hearty Amein~

Good post, momi...

I agree with how he broke down the difference between marriage from a biblical perspective and marriage from two perspectives: Western and traditional cultures, which both, IMHO, help contribute to heartache and disappointment.

Look at our society today - it's reported more people can now divorce because the economy is getting better, so they can afford to move out and get a new place, not get gouged by child support, etc. What does that say? To me, it says people are marrying to fulfill their own individual needs, until they are met. Then the marriage is no longer needed. I don't believe that's what marriage is about. Not everyone is Christian, of course. But it is things like that that underscores God's way is the best way.

And when he this:

a hearty Amein~

Laela - thanks for your sharing your observations. I will have to go back and watch it in its entirety - as I don't remember hearing him share about the differences between cultures, but he did expound on that in his book.

Yes - I absolutely agree with the quote above! Couples are divorcing too frequently because of dissatisfaction with one another and in some cases this is due to unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
That was not what he taught in the video ladies. Lol

He was giving an explanation on the 1 Corinth scripture which is necessary because this passage is problematic for many.

He actually ended with the conclusion that yes - Christians should indeed marry.

I love you momi :yep:

I'm sorry... I grew a tree of shade on this subject. I'll be able to watch the video before the week is out. I promise.

:bighug:

They need to start announcing these conferences worldwide so a sista can attend lol. Lemme go watch the video:yep:.

I love you momi :yep: I'm sorry... I grew a tree of shade on this subject. I'll be able to watch the video before the week is out. I promise. :bighug:
It's all good Sis. Shimmie. You'll get nothing but love from me :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you momi! Watched all the videos and they surely blessed me, gave some perspectives that I hadn't thought of before. For other singlistas who might be interested: you can download with vidtomp3.com to your computer and listen to it at a later time ;).

Thank you momi! Watched all the videos and they surely blessed me, gave some perspectives that I hadn't thought of before. For other singlistas who might be interested: you can download with vidtomp3.com to your computer and listen to it at a later time ;).

I'm so glad you were able to get something useful from it :)

Paul is really just speaking commentary.. it is his opinon.. My faith views the NT as this... Torah as Scripture.. Matthew Mark Luke John and Revelation as Scripture.. Everything else is just commentary.

^^ I disagree. Romans is not just commentary. And for the ones that are his opinion, the Apostle makes a clear distinction that it is he who is speaking and not the Lord.

^^ I disagree. Romans is not just commentary. And for the ones that are his opinion, the Apostle makes a clear distinction that it is he who is speaking and not the Lord.[/QUOTE

Thank you.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Back