Marry to an Un believer

Shinka

The passages bold are scripture. The unbold is commentary from a bible study website(http://www.ais-gwd.com/~cdevans/1Cor7.htm). Do you think the commentary is fair? I think is contradictory. I see it as the second passage is saying that a non-believing husband is dead. Which is true because until we are saved our body is dead. However, with that in mind a wife can remarry( which I assuming involves divorce) from this spirtually dead husband.

In the last bold verse. Paul advices that a woman stay with an unblieving husband as long He wants to stay. I know these verses are Paul's advice as Paul says in the scriptures it's not the Lord's commandments ( the first bold passage is the Lord's commandment...a woman should not depart from her husband)

But which is right or do they compliment each other. Are they complimentary in the since that: Is it okaying for the wife to leave an unbeliever as long as the unbelieving husband doesn't want to stay? Is it one of those "limited" times when a women is allowed to leave her husband?

1 Corinthians 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband

To the married, Paul issues a personal message. Again, it is good advice for a married woman not to leave her husband. There are rules under which a woman may leave her husband, but they are very limited.

1 Corinthians 7:39-40
39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

The law, and marriage covenant, binds a wife as long as her husband lives. But, a Christian woman must remember that if she marries a non-believer---she is marrying a man that is already dead in trespasses and sins.

It is Paul’s opinion that if a Christian woman’s husband dies (believer or non-believer), she is better off remaining "single again."

1 Corinthians 7:12-14
12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Paul restates that his advice is not a commandment. Paul was wise enough to know when it was his advice and when it was God’s command.

If a Christian man has non-Christian wife, and she wants to continue in the marriage, he is not to divorce her.

If a Christian woman has a non-Christian husband, and he wants to continue in the marriage, she is not to divorce him.

The non-Christian husband or wife is sanctified through the believing spouse, and their children are made clean in the eyes of God through the believing spouse.

phynestone

By being sanctified, does it mean the unbeliever spouse is saved by the saved spouse? I've never understood this.