Should Christians Listen To Hip-Hop?

sprungonhairboards

Calm down HoneyHips before you burst something :lol: :lol:

I understood you perfectly. I was wondering the same thing (if she was saying listening to music was sinful) when I originally saw the post (Sugaplums post).

melodee

locabouthair said:
This is how I feel. I like a lot of secular music because I like the beat but I don't engage in the negative things they talk about. And there are a few rap/hip hop songs that are positive.

I know how you feel loca, but Eventually you will grow tired of weeding through pure stank garbage to get to anything decent. And then you will find yourself lowereing your standards as to what is decent when the decent stuff still says "MFer" or makes a refence to something unwholesome. I mean people thought DC was safe until they put out this sexually charged and explicit album.

That's what happened to me. I finally realized that it's not worth trying to find that needle in a haystack. I will still listen to some secular stuff like jazz or contemporary, but only on CD's or station dedicated to keeping the hot garbage off the airways.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
HH, is all that really called for? I'm leaving and I just wanted to say that I love you all and I will be keeping you all in my prayers. :)

Good-bye everyone & God Bless You all. :rosebud:

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
Ok...I won't. :lol:
sprungonhairboards said:
Calm down HoneyHips before you burst something :lol: :lol:

I understood you perfectly. I was wondering the same thing (if she was saying listening to music was sinful) when I originally saw the post (Sugaplums post).
Thank you, I was beginning to think I was crazy or stupid. I was like what did I miss? Why don't I get it? :lol:

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
Yes it is. Because if you are leaving b/c of a misunderstanding you don't need to do that. This thing is so simple it is being blown way out of proportion. Plus if you are leaving, leave, why announce it? I never got that on message boards. On other boards we call them board suicides, it is like the people who do them are crying out for extra attn and want people to beg them to stay. I'm not saying you are doing that. But my original reaction, was I know she is not leaving over this. I wasn't even mean or harsh. Just frustrated. Just explain yourself. It really is that simple.
sugaplum said:
HH, is all that really called for? I'm leaving and I just wanted to say that I love you all and I will be keeping you all in my prayers. :)

Good-bye everyone & God Bless You all. :rosebud:

Honeyhips

Lovely
I've done nothing but explain myself, and state my opinion. Yes I think it is uneccessary for you to leave over this. It is a misunderstanding. I don't want you to be so offended by it that you'll just walk away. If you want to fine, but it isn't necessary to do that over something as small as this. I wasn't being mean to you or bashing you.

You don't have to soften what you say with a kissing smiley and a God bless you. If I was offended, that wouldn't magically make it go away.
sugaplum said:
Actually what you've done was unneccessary. :look: God Bless you. :kiss:

Cinnabuns

Honeyhips said:
I didn't say that she couldn't ask questions, what are you talking about?

Sugaplum's question on repentenance does seem out of place b/c this is a thread about music. Listening to music is not a sin. That is why I got confused. I was asking HER, SUGAPLUM, to exaplain herself.

Then I must ask you a question then Honeyhips,

If listening to music is not a sin...then what is it?

Is it pleasing in the site of God? Maybe you should pray first before you answer this question.

And again this is just a question, please don't get offended by it. We ALL here tyring to learn more about walking closer with Christ not attack or yell at one another. The book of Ephesians says that we are to be truthful in love. Do not take any of this the wrong way.

Oh and at Sugaplum, don't leave because of her comments, it's just not worth it.

Last edited:

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
Okay - once again, negativity or shouting at members is not allowed at ALL on the any of the forums, and especially on this Christian Fellowship board. Honeyhips if you could please try to tone it down, I created this board to be a place of fellowship and a place to uplift Jesus Christ, and it hurts me when you hurt other people by shouting at them or being negative. Beverly

Honeyhips

Lovely
I wasn't shouting to talk down to her or anyone. I was shouting to be heard. Nor was I being negative.
beverly said:
Okay - once again, negativity or shouting at members is not allowed at ALL on the any of the forums, and especially on this Christian Fellowship board. Honeyhips if you could please try to tone it down, I created this board to be a place of fellowship and a place to uplift Jesus Christ, and it hurts me when you hurt other people by shouting at them or being negative. Beverly

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
Honeyhips said:
I wasn't shouting to talk down to her or anyone. I was shouting to be heard. Nor was I being negative.

Using bold letters and using all caps are considered shouting in the "Interent World" and is seen as being mean or negative in my opinion, especially when done after a disagreement has taken place. Bev:)

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

beverly said:

I could not agree more.:)

Honeyhips

Lovely
I know it can be perceived that way which is why I explained what I meant. If you and everyone else still want it to mean that, then that's fine. I even tried to portray that, and I admit rather poorly, in the inital shouting post.

Maybe I should start using smileys so people won't think I am trying to be a rude bi&ch.
beverly said:
Using bold letters and using all caps are considered shouting in the "Interent World" and is seen as being mean or negative in my opinion, especially when done after a disagreement has taken place. Bev:)

Honeyhips

Lovely
I guess you need to show me how if I listen to a song today, and die that I will go straight to hell. SO even though my Grandfather confessed Christ as his is savoiur, lived his life according to God's will, BUT b/c he enjoyed Ray Charles on his deathbed he went to hell the night he died. Listening to music is not a direct sin . Oh and b/c my Uncle the Pastor played a Ray CHarles song in his church during the funeral, he is going to hell too?

:kiss: (this seems to work).
Cinnabuns said:
Then I must ask you a question then Honeyhips,

If listening to music is not a sin...then what is it?

Is it pleasing in the site of God? Maybe you should pray first before you answer this question.

And again this is just a question, please don't get offended by it. We ALL here tyring to learn more about walking closer with Christ not attack or yell at one another. The book of Ephesians says that we are to be truthful in love. Do not take any of this the wrong way.

Oh and at Sugaplum, don't leave because of her comments, it's just not worth it.

Cinnabuns

Honeyhips said:
I guess you need to show me how if I listen to a song today, and die that I will go straight to hell. SO even though my Grandfather confessed Christ as his is savoiur, lived his life according to God's will, BUT b/c he enjoyed Ray Charles on his deathbed he went to hell the night he died. Listening to music is not a direct sin . Oh and b/c my Uncle the Pastor played a Ray CHarles song in his church during the funeral, he is going to hell too?

:kiss: (this seems to work).

:kiss: <---- Yes, it works for me.

God decides who goes to heaven or hell, it is not up to me Honeyhips.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I think this is just a topic we are going to have to agree to disagree on. The bible doesnt regulate every single aspect of our lives. We are freed from that kind of bondage. We have to make decisions for ourselves.

The bible doesnt address listening to music per se, and we know that the Jewish people had their own cultural songs, love songs, war song etc. There isnt just one facet to life to celebrate. If you have a bad attitude, start fantasizing about immoral things, you backslide or your behavior changes negatively as a result of listening to music, watching certain tv shows, hanging around certain folx, visiting certain places like clubs, then be self aware and make the changes necessary to as a mature and responsible Christian to protect your walk with God. If God is convicting you of listening to certain music, then by all means stop. The bible states that if you consider a certain act a sin, than it is sin to you. However, not everyone is at the same place in their spiritual walk, and not everyone is being convicted of the same things at the same times. I respect everyones right to refrain from engaging in behavior that negatively affects their spirit, it is the wise thing to do. Just keep in mind we all have certain strengths and weaknesses and not everyone is going to be negatively affected by what they see or hear.

sprungonhairboards

I agree with you Enchantmt.

Some people may be convicted from spending so much time on hair boards because they could/should be using that time to serve the Lord or whatever and the vibe isn't always cohesive and the boards definately aren't full of saints. Does that make hairboards sinful? I dare anyone to find it in the Bible. To say definatively music, all music period is sinful is an opinion to me. Not a teaching of Christ.

I've never seen that in the Bible but I have seen things to the contrary encouraging us to sing and rejoice and enjoy music.

Honeyhips

Lovely
I totally agree.
Enchantmt said:
I think this is just a topic we are going to have to agree to disagree on. The bible doesnt regulate every single aspect of our lives. We are freed from that kind of bondage. We have to make decisions for ourselves.

The bible doesnt address listening to music per se, and we know that the Jewish people had their own cultural songs, love songs, war song etc. There isnt just one facet to life to celebrate. If you have a bad attitude, start fantasizing about immoral things, you backslide or your behavior changes negatively as a result of listening to music, watching certain tv shows, hanging around certain folx, visiting certain places like clubs, then be self aware and make the changes necessary to as a mature and responsible Christian to protect your walk with God. If God is convicting you of listening to certain music, then by all means stop. The bible states that if you consider a certain act a sin, than it is sin to you. However, not everyone is at the same place in their spiritual walk, and not everyone is being convicted of the same things at the same times. I respect everyones right to refrain from engaging in behavior that negatively affects their spirit, it is the wise thing to do. Just keep in mind we all have certain strengths and weaknesses and not everyone is going to be negatively affected by what they see or hear.

Cinnabuns

Honeyhips said:
Yes it was. :smirk:

What a shame

You are so much more than a "B" why are you calling yourself that? You are a child of God and he does not create these if you are of His.

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

Honeyhips said:
Then who are you to determine if listening to music is a sin?

Then I would have to ask you this question then: Who's to say that it isn't?

Did you pray before you answered the previous question? You might want to do that because no matter what I say you are going to do it anyways, that's up to you and God not me and you. It looks like you are getting angry at the wrong person here.

Listen to music if you must, but for me I won't.

Last edited:

bludacious

Oh, my God this thread has gotten so far off the chain.

I started not to post. But, young sisters, the bible and God's will has been questionable by many. The will of God is interpreted differently by many, also. That's why it is so important for us to read the bible and to pray to God for understanding. My best friend is of a different denomination than I am. We truly have different belief. But, I respect her belief and she respects mine.

Basically, I would like to say that all this going back in forth is not called for. Agree to disagree and pray for your fellow sister(s). One thing we all can agree on is God is Good!

Cinnabuns

bludacious said:
Oh, my God this thread has gotten so far off the chain.

I started not to post. But, young sisters, the bible and God's will has been questionable by many. The will of God is interpreted differently by many, also. That's why it is so important for us to read the bible and to pray to God for understanding. My best friend is of a different denomination than I am. We truly have different belief. But, I respect her belief and she respects mine.

Basically, I would like to say that all this going back in forth is not called for. Agree to disagree and pray for your fellow sister(s). One thing we all can agree on is God is Good!

Amen, I love the way that you put this bludacious.

bludacious

Cinnabuns said:
Amen, I love the way that you put this bludacious.

Thanks Cinnabuns! I can tell that you are truly a strong Christian. But, I just would like to say to you that. There is no need for you to defend your beliefs. (this is one reason I don't like to take part in Christian threads) You just pray to God to send you the wisdom to understand his will. We have all sin and come short of the Glory. When judgement day comes, we will all have our chance to stand before the king! So, stay strong!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I am gonna be honest...I don't think that is Honey Hips posting...maybe someone got a hold to her account because this doesn't seem like her at all.:nono: