Should Christians Listen To Hip-Hop?

Cinnabuns

I’ve just seen the DVD entitled “The Truth About Hip-Hip & Rap.” The video talks about how we as Christians should stay away from the devils music such as, R & B, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc. This video opened up my eyes to what the music industry is doing to our youth and even to us adults. He (Rev. G. Craig Lewis) talks about Snoop Dogg, DMX, Bone-Thugs & Harmony, Jill Scott, etc. I have thrown away all of my CD’s and tapes that do not edify God. Rev. Lewis travels around the world preaching against the devils music and he is coming to my church next week and needless to say we are so overjoyed. I highly recommend the he come to your church and present this amazing message to your congregation. If you would like to buy the DVD and view it first then you can get it at this website. www.exministries.com

I guarantee that this is something that you won’t forget. :)

Koffie

Christian Hip-hop if any, but I can't preach that song to anybody, because I can regurgitate(sp.?) ALOT of secular music that I have listened to over the years.

I wouldn't exactly call it "Devil's Music" because some of these secular artist are christians too.:yep:

pebbles

G. Craig Lewis came to our church twice, and my kids no longer listen to hip-hop music. Yes, it was a real eye opener. :)

mkstar826

supersonic
I think that no one should listen to or expose themselves to things that they feel conflicts with their beliefs. :) i think it's a personal thing though...like i wouldn't stop listening to something just because someone else demonizes it. i would have to listen to it for myself and find out for myself why i believe it does or doesn't fall in line with what i believe.

miracle

mkstar826 said:
I think that no one should listen to or expose themselves to things that they feel conflicts with their beliefs. :) i think it's a personal thing though...like i wouldn't stop listening to something just because someone else demonizes it. i would have to listen to it for myself and find out for myself why i believe it does or doesn't fall in line with what i believe.

ITA!!!!!!! :)

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I didn't view the link but I personally dont have a problem with hiphop. I like the beats, I like the fact that our people and our children are so creative and talented that they can rhyme off the top of their heads. They can tell a story and they lyrics and storyline just flow. Its amazing.

The lyrics in hip hop is something entirely different but you can find offensive lyrics in anything. We need to seperate the content from the genre. I personally don't listen to it a lot or I listen to the radio versions of songs. I tend to monitor my thoughts about things and long ago when I found myself looking at another woman and thinking in my mind "****" I knew there was a problem. I asked myself where that thought came from and I made a conscious decision to limit my exposure to lyrics after that. I personally think that listening to lyrics over and over again affect your mindset and how you relate to others and I was developing a negative attitude about my own people so I knew this had to stop. I used to love eazy-E's voice, but I couldnt take the cussing, it was just to hard on my ears. The funny thing is, a lot of the radio verisons sound better than the explicit ones with all the cussing.

Also you have to know that there are two hiphop elements. True hip hop followers define hip hop as black hip hop and commerical hip hop. Commercial hiphop, with artists like little jon for example, whose music have lyrics with little content or thought, and good beats to make they commercially viable and black hip hop with artists who have truly refined their craft and can spit lyrics with style, rhyme, content, intelligence. Sometimes there is cussing or offensive lyrics, sometimes not. They often complain about artists such as Jayz and Luda whom they say have dumbed down their lyrics for mass appeal and given into pressure from record companies. Record companies also only want to hear sex and violence so artists who would make good music often arent given the chance.

As far as Christian Hip Hop, folx have problems with Hip Hop artists and artists with more modern music like Kirk Franklin which I just dont understand. You have to meet people on their level and if a catchy tune can make someone aware of Jesus or make them listen to a testimony that can change their life whats the problem folx? Jesus got ridiculed for associating with prostitutes and other common folx but he went out to meet them where they were and be with them on a level they could relate to. This debate just seems legalistic to me. When I saw the young boys on Benny Hinn rapping on stage a few years ago and he prayed over them I was in my room jumping up and down clapping. It was powerful and annointed. (Yeah I know some folx dont like Benny Hinn but lets focus people, lol!!)

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/Pray/newsletter_archive/December2001/page1.html

Christians are so quick to doom anything new. Tv. Movies. Music.Internet. All this can be used to bring glory to God and instead of embracing new things, we sit back, condemn it, and then "heathens" take it over and spread filth. THEN we want to sit back and complain and use the results as proof that we were right to begin with. *smh*. Most Christian hip hop artists, truly have a heart for God and a powerful message. They are continuing in their craft even tho Christians, the main ones that preach about being non judgemental, are against them, basically persecuting them and speaking against them on a regular basis. Unfortunately I dont have any artists to recommend. I rarely purchase ANY musics, maybe 5 cds or so in the last 2 years and those were mostly gospel. However I have heard a good sampling of the music, and viewed and read some of their testimonies. Yes I know there is a way that can seem right to a man that in the end leads to destruction, but I personally dont think this is the case here.

As far a secular items in general, life is secular. Even the bible has a love story. That period of time had love songs and songs of celebration and songs about everyday life. God is good, God is Holy, He's also practical and I dont think I'm going to hell because I enjoy listening to will smiths "Summertime". In fact no music or anything else on this earth can make me lose my salvation. You will find some one some where to tell you why you are going to hell for doing everything from working on Sunday, wearing makeup, wearing pants, cutting your hair, and all other kinds of things that will keep you in the very bondage Christ died to free us from. We need to find balance in everything we do. Does what I do affect my quality of life? Yes. Do my actions affect my spiritual relationship with God? They can if I am sinning and out of fellowship. I'm not saying accept any and all things that come your way, we need to discern good from evil and its our responsibility to, but I think we still need to be more open minded and less legalistic and not judge someone who may very well be annointed to bring the message of Christ to the younger generations on a level they can relate to. Personally, I dont think God is powerless. Get them saved first and then God can deal with them and walk them though eliminating from their life what is not pleasing to Him - whether its music, behavior, dress, mindset, character, whatever.

*tossing my 2cents (well ok $1.50) and wondering why Latifahs "Ladies First" and "Latifiahs Had It Up To Here" here is no longer on yahoo launch. Oh well maybe I can find my old cassette.*

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
As I started growing in my Christian walk, I started to find a problem with hip-hop and rap music myself. It just stoppped sounding good to me. I would start paying more attention to what they're actually saying than the music and beat played behind it. It's so sickening some of the things these artists sing about...sex, drugs, violence, being in jail, being a pimp/player, smoking, drinking, profanity...if it's bad, it's in that song! And it's sad that it's so appealing to so many people...especially our youth.

I also heard a sermon preached about being a radical for Christ. He talked about movies, videos, music, magazines, the whole nine yards. He talked about how all these things can put impure thoughts in our mind and that we should avoid listening and seeing these things at all costs.

So I'm in the process of finding some nice Christian music to listen to. I sometimes I have a bunch of burned CDs that I don't listen to anymore. They just bring down my spirit. I sometimes listen to the radio to channel that plays hip-hop but from now on, I'm just gonna leave it on the gospel channel. :grin:

I agree that Christians shouldn't be listening to hip-hop music if they want to be closer to God and have a pure heart and mind. Anything that's unwholesome, filthy, degrading, leads to sin, should be avoided.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Blossssom said:
I have never heard of him, but he is correct. Christians should not engage in anything secular.
If this was the case, us college women shouldn't be getting an education for a secular degree! :shocked:

pebbles

G. Craig Lewis exposes the history of hip-hop, and clearly, it's not for the faint at heart. There are a lot of things I NEVER knew about it's history, and then I started paying close attention to some of the lyrics of the music. . . Well, for me, I choose to guard my spirit. Music is one of the most powerful forces on earth, with the ability to influence people without them ever being aware of what is happening. When I think of how certain music by different artist have the ability to put me in different moods, I couldn't ignore it any longer. Neither could my boys, and for the enlightment, I'm eternally grateful to God. :)

Enchantmt

Cinnabuns

Vet27 said:
What did he say about Jill Scott?

Hello Vet 27, :wave:
Jill Scott does not believe in Jesus and believes that God is the black man. I believe it's Koran. I was shocked too until I did a research for myself and found out that she does say and believe in the things mentioned above. These are Jill Scott's words not mine.:)

Cinnabuns

Enchantmt said:
I didn't view the link but I personally dont have a problem with hiphop. I like the beats, I like the fact that our people and our children are so creative and talented that they can rhyme off the top of their heads. They can tell a story and they lyrics and storyline just flow. Its amazing.

The lyrics in hip hop is something entirely different but you can find offensive lyrics in anything. We need to seperate the content from the genre. I personally don't listen to it a lot or I listen to the radio versions of songs. I tend to monitor my thoughts about things and long ago when I found myself looking at another woman and thinking in my mind "****" I knew there was a problem. I asked myself where that thought came from and I made a conscious decision to limit my exposure to lyrics after that. I personally think that listening to lyrics over and over again affect your mindset and how you relate to others and I was developing a negative attitude about my own people so I knew this had to stop. I used to love eazy-E's voice, but I couldnt take the cussing, it was just to hard on my ears. The funny thing is, a lot of the radio verisons sound better than the explicit ones with all the cussing.

Also you have to know that there are two hiphop elements. True hip hop followers define hip hop as black hip hop and commerical hip hop. Commercial hiphop, with artists like little jon for example, whose music have lyrics with little content or thought, and good beats to make they commercially viable and black hip hop with artists who have truly refined their craft and can spit lyrics with style, rhyme, content, intelligence. Sometimes there is cussing or offensive lyrics, sometimes not. They often complain about artists such as Jayz and Luda whom they say have dumbed down their lyrics for mass appeal and given into pressure from record companies. Record companies also only want to hear sex and violence so artists who would make good music often arent given the chance.

As far as Christian Hip Hop, folx have problems with Hip Hop artists and artists with more modern music like Kirk Franklin which I just dont understand. You have to meet people on their level and if a catchy tune can make someone aware of Jesus or make them listen to a testimony that can change their life whats the problem folx? Jesus got ridiculed for associating with prostitutes and other common folx but he went out to meet them where they were and be with them on a level they could relate to. This debate just seems legalistic to me. When I saw the young boys on Benny Hinn rapping on stage a few years ago and he prayed over them I was in my room jumping up and down clapping. It was powerful and annointed. (Yeah I know some folx dont like Benny Hinn but lets focus people, lol!!)

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/Pray/newsletter_archive/December2001/page1.html

Christians are so quick to doom anything new. Tv. Movies. Music.Internet. All this can be used to bring glory to God and instead of embracing new things, we sit back, condemn it, and then "heathens" take it over and spread filth. THEN we want to sit back and complain and use the results as proof that we were right to begin with. *smh*. Most Christian hip hop artists, truly have a heart for God and a powerful message. They are continuing in their craft even tho Christians, the main ones that preach about being non judgemental, are against them, basically persecuting them and speaking against them on a regular basis. Unfortunately I dont have any artists to recommend. I rarely purchase ANY musics, maybe 5 cds or so in the last 2 years and those were mostly gospel. However I have heard a good sampling of the music, and viewed and read some of their testimonies. Yes I know there is a way that can seem right to a man that in the end leads to destruction, but I personally dont think this is the case here.

As far a secular items in general, life is secular. Even the bible has a love story. That period of time had love songs and songs of celebration and songs about everyday life. God is good, God is Holy, He's also practical and I dont think I'm going to hell because I enjoy listening to will smiths "Summertime". In fact no music or anything else on this earth can make me lose my salvation. You will find some one some where to tell you why you are going to hell for doing everything from working on Sunday, wearing makeup, wearing pants, cutting your hair, and all other kinds of things that will keep you in the very bondage Christ died to free us from. We need to find balance in everything we do. Does what I do affect my quality of life? Yes. Do my actions affect my spiritual relationship with God? They can if I am sinning and out of fellowship. I'm not saying accept any and all things that come your way, we need to discern good from evil and its our responsibility to, but I think we still need to be more open minded and less legalistic and not judge someone who may very well be annointed to bring the message of Christ to the younger generations on a level they can relate to. Personally, I dont think God is powerless. Get them saved first and then God can deal with them and walk them though eliminating from their life what is not pleasing to Him - whether its music, behavior, dress, mindset, character, whatever.

*tossing my 2cents (well ok $1.50) and wondering why Latifahs "Ladies First" and "Latifiahs Had It Up To Here" here is no longer on yahoo launch. Oh well maybe I can find my old cassette.*

Interesting perception Enchantmt, I love how you pointed out that getting them saved first and then God can deal with them and walk them, this staement is very true. :)

However, did you know that Africa Bumbada invented Hip-Hop?

www.zulunation.com

KRS-One (who is apart of Zulu-Nation) speaks of putting your faith in yourself and not the holy scriptures and that you are Jesus Christ, and did you know that Hezekiah Walker and the love fellowship family are singing the background to that very song?

It was not until I did my own research and found out these things for myself, and made me think what am I really listening too? Is this edifying God? If you view the link it clearly is not.:)

What amazes me how the Hip-Hop artist get an award and thank God for it! How is this possible when majority of them sing about filth, murder, rape (yes I have heard this in a song), etc. It behoves me. Personally I don't find anything beautiful about rap. It encourages violence, drugs and gangs. :nono: I know that it may seem that it is being condemned but, would you agree that teenagers should listen to this type of music? I'm just asking.:)

Cinnabuns

pebbles said:
G. Craig Lewis exposes the history of hip-hop, and clearly, it's not for the faint at heart. There are a lot of things I NEVER knew about it's history, and then I started paying close attention to some of the lyrics of the music. . . Well, for me, I choose to guard my spirit. Music is one of the most powerful forces on earth, with the ability to influence people without them ever being aware of what is happening. When I think of how certain music by different artist have the ability to put me in different moods, I couldn't ignore it any longer. Neither could my boys, and for the enlightment, I'm eternally grateful to God. :)

Oh yes ITA, it was very inspirational and I have shown this movie to allot of my Christian friends who LOVE Hip-Hop, Rap, etc. I was thankful to God for bringing this into my life. :)

redeemed516

As we all know...Satan is the ruler of the airways (tv, radio, etc) We as Christians can't completly exclude ourselves from what is going on in the world. We have to walk circumspectly and be knowledgable of the times that we live in. As far as hip hop music (and other secular forms of entertainment-ie movies that may not convey a Godly message) we have to be able to listen/watch with a Christian ear/eyes. We don't have to be affected by what we hear and see. If you like rap music for the beat or because you might actually like what a particular song is saying if it is positive/uplifting then I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. I personally like some of it. I can't take all that sex, smack ya momma with a skillet, beat ya girl up, i smoke i drank, sex me till we die type stuff. But i do believe that you shouldn't shun/disregard the entire genre just because you may not agree with what a few of it's representatives are saying. There is that side of Hip Hop that DMX, Tupac, Biggie, Murder Inc. (the INC.), death row and other s represent but the flip side is Hip Hop gospel and CRUNK gospel rap are slowly growing with the Christian youth because they can better relate to it than maybe someone older could.

Enchantmt

I'm not questioning the lyrics. I agree they are horrible, and personally I think they lead to violence against women and a mindset that is damaging. However we didnt really have this problem until things like gansta rap came on the scene, not that the lyrics were spotless before but they were no worse than any other song. And even when gansta rap first came out, it was more or less just telling the story of what was going on. Putting their stories to music didnt change what was a reality in some of the lives of these rappers. Had their living conditions been different their experiences and what they would have known to write about would have been different. Now it has changed to glorify violence and drugs and I agree no one needs to be bombarded with those types of messages. As I said I limit my own exposure because of it and I know a child doesnt have the ability to monitor their thoughts or reactions to a song to be able to judge or address how it affects their behavior and they internalize and act out those messages. Not good at all.

Most of the stuff I agree shouldnt be allowed in homes, Christian or otherwise. I just dont think you should condemn a whole entire genre because parts of it are bad. There are raunchy country songs too, does that make country christian songs bad? There is porn or tv...is tv bad or the programming on it? Does that make the christian shows I watch a bad thing? I just think we need to seperate the content from the genre. It was shunned by mainstream in the beginning but now it influences everything. Clothing, Tv, Food. Everything. Find someone who markets something w/o a hip hop tune now days. Hip hop is very powerful and I think folx are afraid of that power. Instead of running from its influence and power we should use it and make it work for us. I think that children and artists should be encouraged to listen to and write lyrics that are postive and uplifting with out the cursing. Change the lyrics and the message and all kinds of positive things can happen.

Sweet C

I believe that as a Christian you should be very mindful about what you listen to in general, be it tv, movies, music, etc. I try to be more watchful about these areas, but I know this can be hard at times. I threw away most of my secular CDs when I fully gave my life to Christ, and threw away the rest later on after talking to the Lord about this. See, I had no problem with the rap and hip hop, b/c most of that which I owned was very degrading, lots of cussing, etc., but I had a HARD time with the Neo-Soul (i.e. Jill Scott, India Arie, etc.). Then as I started to do more research, I realized that the God these people be professing in songs, is not the same God that i believe in. Jill Scott has spit straight bars from the Koran, and India Arie is on some Buddhist/agnostic sort of vibe in her CDs. And both of them glorify sexual relationships outside of marriage. I don't mind certain songs that they sing like India Arie's "I'm Not the Average Girl" or even Nas "I Know I Can," because I feel like these songs are very uplifting and not degrading. But the rest of their CDs do have questionable content, so I can't continously listen to the CD and then try to figure out why all of a sudden I have sudden urges in the flesh or I am in certain moves.

For those who do like that sound though, I recommend Lisa McClendon's "soul music" (she is off the chain).

I have been to the website before and I agree with him on a lot of stuff, but I don't agree with him with his stand on not using hip-hop as a means for ministering the gospel. He states that the reason you can't use hip hop culture is b/c its origins is evil. Well, I thought that music originated from God and Satan doesn't create, but he just perverts. Didn't Paul use philosophy in Acts 17 to convert the Athens to believers in Christ? I see where he is coming from, b/c some of the Christian rap artists that have made it somewhat mainstream have been in essense hurt by the church or have been pushed out too soon and they weren't ready to handle ministry. But there have been others that preach the gospel, on fie for God, rap, live the lifestyle, and are under the covering of a church home. From reading the article on the site pertaining to this, I am not sure if he is against using the term hip hop, or just the art form of rap itself, or the culture in which it has evolved to present day.

Vet27

I did'nt know that's what she(jill scott) was talking about when she said god in her songs. I do think that indie arie has some good songs like brown skin & jill scott's living my life like it's golden. They are positive songs. But maybe I should go home and listen a little more carefully to what they are saying.

Vet27

Sweet C

Here is the excerpts from a Jill Scott listed from the exministries website:

Jill Scott

From the album "Who is Jill Scott"

A long walk

let’s take a long walk around the park after dark
find a spot for us to spark
conversation, verbal elation, stimulation
share our situations, temptations, education, relaxations
elevations, maybe we can talk about surah 31:18

your background it ain’t squeaky clean sh_t
sometimes we all got to swim upstream
you ain’t no saint, we all are sinners
but you put your good foot down and make your soul a winner
I respect that, man you’re so phat
and you’re all that, plus supreme
then you’re humble man i’m numb
yo with feeling, I can feel everything that you bring

exclusively - from the album who is jill scott

mmm, this morning my man exclusively introduced me
to some good extra lovin'
he was lickin' and suckin' on everything
just the way he should
this morning’s extra lovin' was good
we laid there sweaty, sex funky, happy as we want to be
lovin' exclusively, my man and me
all night all morning
so our stomachs were growlin' hungrily
so I jumped up and rushed to the store
in hopes of coming back and getting a little more of
this morning’s good extra lovin '

excerpt from an interview:

Are you still a practicing Jehovah's Witness? When I was 12, I decided that I wanted to see what else was out there. I believe that all of the religions have merit and that it's man that messes it up. I am more spiritual than religious. Sometimes I feel like a Buddhist and I need to chant; sometimes a Baptist and I need to holler and shout and sometimes I need to be a Catholic and need to purge my sins and confess. It just depends on where I am. But, I know I need to get there.

Your mother gave you freedom at 12-years old to explore your spirituality? Not necessarily. I took it on my own. It was my grandmother who wanted me to remain a Witness.

Now u have to ask your self is this music really positive, or is it in a sly way promoting double mindness, fornication, and idolatry. Positive to me is that is doesn't formally preach the gospel, but yet it doesn't lead to compromising God's word, but her lyrics and this interview excerpt suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Vet27

In positive I meant I would rather my younger couisn sing about loving her brown skin than being bootyluicus.(sp?) That's all I am saying. When I have my couisn's in the car I no longer allow them to listen to rap in my car. They know all the songs, I can't stand to here a 3 or 5 yr old sing about sex. But can't tie there own shoe. But they hear it eveywhere else, @ there friends, in someone's car, maybe on a walkman. On Jill Scott's lastest cd, she talks about talking to young women, and letting them know that they are more than just a piece of meat, they can do anything they put there minds too. Not everyone has a role model in there home, in there neighborhood, and certainly not on t.v. I did lokk at his website, he has some good things to say & I see he will be in my area in June. But, I am not sure that creating a anti-hip hop youth group is the answer.

Just a comment.

Vet27

Cinnabuns

blaxalrose said:
People can say what they want to, but that song "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West probably touched more people last year than any other gospel song.

Hmmm...maybe it did touch people, but I just don't agree with all the cursing in it. :ohwell: I feel that is possible to sing gospel without using those words. IMHO

dreamgurl

Hmmm...I don't buy Hip-Hop, Rap or even R&B music. I buy mostly Christian, Inspirational, and Instrumental music.

BUT...I have watched a few videos and listened to a few songs on the radio in passing.

This was something I was fighting within myself about awhile ago because I felt I was disobeying God by watching some of these music videos and listening to the music. After much communication with God and giving some time to listen to Him and His Word. It was revealed to me that we are to live in this world, but not be of the world. With that being said, the worldly people are the ones who need to be reached, but how can I effectively witness/minister to them without knowing a little something about their world? Let's not forget there are worldly people sitting right there in the pews.

Another example of God's confirmation...I used to not want to watch the news because of all the violence I would hear about around the world, but one night as I was praying for my son before his bedtime, I felt the Holy Spirit move within me and started praying for a situation in another country I knew absolutely nothing about. At first, I didn't know what to think and just didn't make too much of it, until I sat down at my computer to see in the corner where the news is announced and noticed that the very situation I was praying for had a direct link to it and was considered one of the top stories. That was God's way of letting me know that I cannot isolate myself from the things happening in the world we live in and to open my eyes and ears and take note, so I can know how to pray for people and situations.

Let me just say this, if I may, there are some "Christian" artists I might be careful of listening to, because not all people who profess at being Christian are such. Some are just there making what sounds like good music because they are talented. But there is a difference in someone being talented and annointed. Some of the music in the Church is a bit questionable to me which is why it is so important to study God's Word for thyself. Discernment is key as well, even if you don't think you have it, I would certainly start praying for it. Trust me it is a real eye-opener.

Enchantmt

dreamgurl said:
Hmmm...I don't buy Hip-Hop, Rap or even R&B music. I buy mostly Christian, Inspirational, and Instrumental music.

BUT...I have watched a few videos and listened to a few songs on the radio in passing.

This was something I was fighting within myself about awhile ago because I felt I was disobeying God by watching some of these music videos and listening to the music. After much communication with God and giving some time to listen to Him and His Word. It was revealed to me that we are to live in this world, but not be of the world. With that being said, the worldly people are the ones who need to be reached, but how can I effectively witness/minister to them without knowing a little something about their world? Let's not forget there are worldly people sitting right there in the pews.

Another example of God's confirmation...I used to not want to watch the news because of all the violence I would hear about around the world, but one night as I was praying for my son before his bedtime, I felt the Holy Spirit move within me and started praying for a situation in another country I knew absolutely nothing about. At first, I didn't know what to think and just didn't make too much of it, until I sat down at my computer to see in the corner where the news is announced and noticed that the very situation I was praying for had a direct link to it and was considered one of the top stories. That was God's way of letting me know that I cannot isolate myself from the things happening in the world we live in and to open my eyes and ears and take note, so I can know how to pray for people and situations.

Let me just say this, if I may, there are some "Christian" artists I might be careful of listening to, because not all people who profess at being Christian are such. Some are just there making what sounds like good music because they are talented. But there is a difference in someone being talented and annointed. Some of the music in the Church is a bit questionable to me which is why it is so important to study God's Word for thyself. Discernment is key as well, even if you don't think you have it, I would certainly start praying for it. Trust me it is a real eye-opener.

You make a very good points. Alot of people,especially younger people, see Christianty as just a list of rules and regulations of what you CANT do. They don't know about Gods grace, they arent being told about it.They dont know the joy of God, His peace, His message of deliverance because all they hear about is fire and brimstone. That has its place, and many folx need to hear about it, but a lot of people feel that Christians are sitting in judgement of them, (sadly often with good reason) talking down to them, and just out to make them over into something with no joy, and none of the facets of life that make it fun. They run into people who consider drinking Koolaid a sin because its not natural and violated the temple of God. They are told that is is unGodly to care for yourself and want to be attractive, when caring for yourself and presenting yourself is what is expected of us, and there is nothing wrong unless you get on the side of vanity. Folx come to church from the world, dressed like the world, seeking God, and the people of God will look at them like they have two heads, turn up their noses, and act like they were always on top and that God didnt bring them to a better place.Get folx saved and then deal with stuff like that. SMH.

I agree 100% on the news. Even when I'm driving and the traffic report comes on about an accident I say a prayer for those involved. And I normally say a silent prayer before I get on the road for myself and others.

You are absolutely correct about the music as well. Unfortunately you have some folx who have realized that you can commercialize on gospel music/especially hiphop. The lyrics dont do much and the dancing is not appropriate. Vultures are trying to pervert this as well, and I have often read about Christian artists complaining of record companies trying to get them to stick to a formula instead of being led by God. Here in ohio we used to have a station that played christian hip hop early Sunday mornings. I dont know if they still do because my hours changed and I'm at work before the show starts now, but I can tell you this, I have heard songs that gave me chills they were so powerful. And it would drive me nuts because I would be on my way to work, they never announced the artist and I could never find out who it was. So to each their own, do what you are led to do, but I know that Christian hip hop has the power to positively affect the young people, because I know what little exposure I have had has done for me.

Blossssom

Cinnabuns said:
Hmmm...maybe it did touch people, but I just don't agree with all the cursing in it. :ohwell: I feel that is possible to sing gospel without using those words. IMHO

A gospel song with CURSE words? Oh God. I've heard EVERYTHING!

These people have dropped to a whole new LOW!

Dutchess

Look at it like this. If you know what the scriptures say about being unclean and anything morally wrong, then wouldn't you want to give Hip-Hop music some serious thought. Is there profanity in the lyrics? Do the lyrics bring praise or honor to God? Could you listen to that kind of music in your place and worship? Do the lyrics promote Satan and his lies? Do the lyrics glorify Satan or God? You know that God's eyes see everything and of course his ears hear everything too, so could you be comfortable reading your Bible with Hip-Hop music playing in the background. It's a contradiction. The scriptures say that you cannot slave for two Masters.

Blossssom

Dutchess said:
Look at it like this. If you know what the scriptures say about being unclean and anything morally wrong, then wouldn't you want to give Hip-Hop music some serious thought. Is there profanity in the lyrics? Do the lyrics bring praise or honor to God? Could you listen to that kind of music in your place and worship? Do the lyrics promote Satan and his lies? Do the lyrics glorify Satan or God? You know that God's eyes see everything and of course his ears hear everything too, so could you be comfortable reading your Bible with Hip-Hop music playing in the background. It's a contradiction. The scriptures say that you cannot slave for two Masters.

Thank you! Nuff said!

And trust me, Kanye's gospel-curse song didn't touch anyone. Not the way you would want it to. How could it?

It's just another rap song with a funky beat; people like bumping, grinding and drinking to it, and this Negro has the nerve to use YOUR religion to promote this filth and increase his wealth! It's a sacrilege!

If there is a hell, he and his ilk will definitely burn in it!

I agree with your post 500%, Dutchess! Kanye and his kind are another type of anti-christ.

Dutchess

Satan know how to use people, it's his specialty, his craftiness is what makes people think or reason that it's okay to listen to music that does not bring honor to God. Is that how you show respect for the ransom sacrifice that Jesus made for you? We should be living our lives to reflect that we are thankful for Jesus coming to the earth to die for sinners. Satan uses the internet, music, pornography videos, pornographic magazines, television, movies in ways to turn people away from serving God. Satan owns much of the entertainment industry. Why do you think rappers always thank him for their awards. They are not thanking the Almighty Creator because the Creator doesn't give people the lyrics to write and sing about filth. God is clean and pure and holy and anything that isn't doesn't come from him. This is why we have to be on the alert constantly and ask ourselves that if God were physically right by our sides would we do certain things.

dreamgurl

redeemed516 said:
As we all know...Satan is the ruler of the airways (tv, radio, etc) We as Christians can't completely exclude ourselves from what is going on in the world. We have to walk circumspectly and be knowledgable of the times that we live in. As far as hip hop music (and other secular forms of entertainment-ie movies that may not convey a Godly message) we have to be able to listen/watch with a Christian ear/eyes. We don't have to be affected by what we hear and see.

I AGREE TOTALLY.

My thing is this, I have a son and daughter who, although attend a Christian school does not mean that kids whose parents allow them to listen to such music won't come to school and try to cloud my children's minds. The difference is that I have a certain level of understading that my kids and other kids until educated do not, so I have to know what is out there in order to educate my kids and maybe even someone else's for that matter. It is simply not enough to say to kids these days, that you shouldn't listen to that stuff because it is bad, you have to educate them on why it is bad, but how can you, if you don't give it a listen yourself. Some of this music is subliminal and so are cartoons and movies and stuff that comes on on the Disney channel.

When I was struggling with whether or not I should listen to secular music, I didn't pay any attention to the words at all in some of these songs just the beats, and since I listened to them on the radio and videos, they would not have the profanity in them. But when, God let me know that the followers are the very people who needed Him, there was no way I could approach one of them and start talking about Jesus and expect them to listen without letting them know I knew a little something about the world they were a part of.

For example Kanye's song Jesus Walks did nothing for me spiritually and I was aware there were curse words in that song because I heard the bleeps. Now my son, who is almost an early teen, listened to the beat first, thought it was hot, and then started paying attention to the lyrics and thought at first listen, it was okay, until I had to sit and listen with him and let him know exactly what was so hot about it. But how could I let him know what was what if I had not given it a good listen myself.

Belle Du Jour

Poohbear said:
As I started growing in my Christian walk, I started to find a problem with hip-hop and rap music myself. It just stoppped sounding good to me. I would start paying more attention to what they're actually saying than the music and beat played behind it. It's so sickening some of the things these artists sing about...sex, drugs, violence, being in jail, being a pimp/player, smoking, drinking, profanity...if it's bad, it's in that song! And it's sad that it's so appealing to so many people...especially our youth.

I agree that some songs that used to be my JAM a few years ago (yes, I said jam!) are borderline sickening to me. That being said, I am mentally strong enough to know that the things I hear in song do not represent my reality, and my beliefs. I like to dance and hip hop provides a good beat.

I think kids today are much more vulnerable to do the things they hear in songs because they don't know how to differentiate between the music world and reality.