Shea Butter: Someone please educate me

isawstars

I want to purchase shea butter but I am soooo confused~!

I started looking for shea butter online last night and I came across "raw shea butter," "unrefined shea butter," "100% shea butter," and then shea butter than can be used on your skin as well... and shea butter mixed with sage, lavender, rosemary, and avocado... I don't know what is best for hair--I don't even know the difference is between raw, unrefined, and 100% shea butter! Does anyone know which works best? Also, what is a reasonable price? Is $15 a lot for a 4 oz. jar?

Any website recommendations would be great as well. Thanks.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
IMO unrefined shea butter is best. Refined shea butter has been bleached and stripped of a lot of the natural beneficial ingredients. The 100% shea butter that you refer to is refined shea butter that has most likely had other ingredients added to it.

$15 is kind of expensive for 4 oz. I got mine from nasabb.com, one pound for $9.99. They have raised the price to $10 someting now though but it's still cheap. There is also a lot of information on there about shea butter and it's benefits.

Spidergul

Pokahontas said:
IMO unrefined shea butter is best. Refined shea butter has been bleached and stripped of a lot of the natural beneficial ingredients. The 100% shea butter that you refer to is refined shea butter that has most likely had other ingredients added to it.

$15 is kind of expensive for 4 oz. I got mine from nasabb.com, one pound for $9.99. They have raised the price to $10 someting now though but it's still cheap. There is also a lot of information on there about shea butter and it's benefits.

I am also a little confused:confused: I ordered mine from the same site. Did what you order look a little like oatmeal and sort of smell like cigaretts?:confused:
They do provide a wealth of info and even samples.:D

isawstars

Spidergul said:
I am also a little confused:confused: I ordered mine from the same site. Did what you order look a little like oatmeal and sort of smell like cigaretts?:confused:
They do provide a wealth of info and even samples.:D

I saw that they provide samples but you have to pay 4 dollars for shipping.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Yes it does have a somewhat strong smoky smell. I never thought of it as looking like oatmeal, lol but it's kinda yellowish in color and the consistency is like cocoa butter. I really like their shea butter though. I use it on my skin and sometimes my hair even though it's a bit heavy. I mainly use it on the ends.

isawstars

Pokahontas said:
Yes it does have a somewhat strong smoky smell. I never thought of it as looking like oatmeal, lol but it's kinda yellowish in color and the consistency is like cocoa butter. I really like their shea butter though. I use it on my skin and sometimes my hair even though it's a bit heavy. I mainly use it on the ends.

oh, so it doesn't smell good? for for some reason i always thought it would smell good.

curlilocs

Kristenxdollface said:
oh, so it doesn't smell good? for for some reason i always thought it would smell good.

Pure shea butter has an earthy smell. It wouldn't say it smelled bad, but it doesn't smell great either. It has a yellowish pasty color. If you purchased from Nasabb you have the right thing. Shea butter is all purpose for me. I use it on skin and hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Kristenxdollface said:
I don't like the smell. I thought it was so gross when I first started using it. I didn't know if I could tolerate it but eventually I got used to it and plus the smell goes away after a little while anyway. I mostly use it on my face so the smell definitely dosen't bother me as much anymore.

isawstars

I have another question: do you use shea butter on dry or wet hair? or can you use it on both?