Refined vs. Unrefined Shea Butter

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I was looking on a African Braiding website, and ran into some jars of unrefined shea butter in their online store. I came across some info on the difference between refined and unrefined. The refined is chemically processed and has colorants and such. The unrefined is not processed and the has a true cream color without colorants. This also has no fragrance like mango, as is the case with some of the other shea butters out in the market. I'm going to purchase the unrefined jar of shea butter so I can make my own hair butters and pre-no 'poo treatments. Word to the wise: Just because you see 100% shea butter on the jar, doesn't mean that it is the unrefined shea butter. So make sure that the consumer looks at the ingredients first before making that purchase.

To the relaxed and natural sisters: 1. Are you using shea butter on your hair or in your homemade butters?

2.Are you using unrefined or refined?

3.If either one, which would you rather use and what results you're getting? </font>

morehairplease

I would like to know too. I was told that unrefined was better but I forgot why
. Sorry about that. May I ask what site you saw the shea at?

shebababy

unrefined shea butter has retained the vitamins and minerals naturally found in the shea nut, refined shea butter is stripped of some of those properties

Healthb4Length

unrefined shea definately has a distinct "odor", I love the results I get with shea but I am still trying to figure out how I get rid of the smell.

1. I am using unrefined shea and mango butters, I am texturized.

2. unrefined
3.I tried the refined years ago but it did nothing for me, I took a chance and tried the unrefined and have had nothing less than great looking hair. I get so many compliments on my braidouts.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
tishee said:
I would like to know too. I was told that unrefined was better but I forgot why
. Sorry about that. May I ask what site you saw the shea at?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">There's a website that has the information. www.africanbraids.biz/caring_for_braids.htm.

Rather than for you to go there, I have the explanation of using unrefined shea butter for you to take have a look. </font>

<font color="blue">Another great ingredient to have at hand during your braiding period is unrefined Shea Butter ( Coconut oil and shea butter are now available on our braids and hair page). This is the master of moisture and healthy groom. There are many fake shea butter out there, please beware. Never use refined shea butter, it's been chemically process. The Original Shea butter is cream in color and as often as many beauticians try to tell people that shea butter can come in many shades. It doesn't. I spent 25 yrs in West Africa and shea butter is a must have house old item over there. I grew up with shea butter and the color has never been other than cream . The color is Cream. The smell cannot be explained, it's close to being odorless, yet it's not. It's not offensive at all. shea butter is all purpose moisturizer. Your skin will thank you and your hair will rejoice. If you don't have coconut oil or shea butter use braid sprays such as African pride instead but get your hands on one of the ingredients above as soon as you can. Always oil your scalp at least 3 times a week to retain moisture and prevent flaky scalps or dandruffs.</font>

lsubabiedee

even though i havent tried pure shea butter yet, i suggest u get the unrefined...better for ur hair than refined!

CarolinaAfro

I use shea butter straight on my hair (and skin)

I like the unrefined. I didn't think I would try the refined..kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
i get mine straight from the nut. unrefined and i LOVE IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabrielle2-
Where do you get yours from? I'm in the ATL and would like to get mine straight from the nut, too!

gabrielle2

info from the lady's business card..................

sista girl's gift (specializing in al your gift giving needs)

owner..NAdiyah Al'Mumin

silver jewelry, african shea butter, also available customized gift baskets

email [email protected]

phone--404 538 3343

wholesale/retail

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
info from the lady's business card..................

sista girl's gift (specializing in al your gift giving needs)

owner..NAdiyah Al'Mumin

silver jewelry, african shea butter, also available customized gift baskets

email [email protected]

phone--404 538 3343

wholesale/retail

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you soooo much!!! Are her prices fair in your opinion? What size tub/container do you get?

ChocoKitty

I use unrefined shea butter on my hair when I'm wearing my hair natural for protection and moisture. (got pics in my album) I just recently discovered that my curls hold better when I mix it in the palm of my hand with my citre shine curl booster.

I've read that refined shea looses it's properties when chemically processed. That's when people buy certain shea products they contain coco butter and other ingredients.

I get my shea butter from www.nasabb.com!

gabrielle2

i think so..i just weighed my plastica container...7.75 ounces and i have been wearing it out for 2 wks and that was 5 dollars. double that for 10.

the thing is..that stuff goes a LONG way!

gabrielle2

yeah..i order from nasabb too...but i use that on my skin. the kind i buy straight from the nut..lol..i will use on my skin (really clearing up some child hood scars) and use in my hair butters.

Teva

That shell that they place it in is not the way it comes naturally. The shea butter goes though a long process before its made into the butter that you know of. The Calabash in the picture is just for decoration.

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
That shell that they place it in is not the way it comes naturally. The shea butter goes though a long process before its made into the butter that you know of. The Calabash in the picture is just for decoration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhhh.... thx for clearing that up!