Sewn v.s. Individual braids to grow afro hair long

Myrica

Hi Im new to the board and need advice. Im 17 years old. My last perm was april 2002. Since then I have been trying to grow out my natural hair. From April to December 2003 I wore individual braids. Now that it is January I Have been trying the sewn in weave method. To make a story short. Which method do yall think is best as far as growing hair out. Also if any one else out there is using weave/(braids) or have used weave/(braids) to grow there hair out. How long did you where it? How did you care for it?What was your hair lenght when you started? and How long is it now? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nanyanika

Hello Myrica,

Welcome to the board /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use braids introduced in the, Crown & Glory techniques by Robin Wood, she grew her 4a/4b hair to her waist in two years, her site www.growafrohairlong.com is very helpful, encouraging and insightful into braiding, hair handling techniques, vitamins etc.

I cannot demonstrate for certain in terms of what methods work considerably well for growing long hair, its a matter of individual preferences. However, I'd like to add, braids and weaves which comprises of using glue does not promote long heathly strong hair.Personally, I have received good results using exstentions, once cared for properly it can aid in growing hair long.

Nevertheless, braids aren't for everyone, go with what works for you.

I wear exstentions indivduals for two months at a time. Daily, I moisturise my braids with African Pride Braid Sheen spray and add Infusium 23 original, this keeps hair soft manageable and strengthens it, with proteins to prevent split ends and breakage.

My exstentions are maintained through the process of once a week washing with creme of nature detangling shampoo, or any reputable shampoo that does not strip the afro textured hair. I squeeze out excess water with towel, then add braid spray and strengthener to saturate braids and scalp. I re-wrap braids with towel, to dry.

I started growing my hair seven months ago, using my natural hair. I continue a simlar regime, inclusive of the crown & glory tecniques, difference is i use exstentions recommended by Robin, because they keep style longer than natural hair.

I've always had quite long hair I can't say how long, but here are my photos. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/deniselhaynes

I hope this helps, good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Den1, you have some purdy hair! Did you do your own extensions? And how long have you been natural?

Okay, back on topic. Everyone is different. I had braids and I left 'em in for 3 months, and I ended up having to get a lot of it cut because my hair was a tangled, knotted mess, and I got so mad that I was ripping out the tangles. And then on top of that, I went to a scissor happy stylist, and I didn't know she was scissor happy, til I couldn't grow my hair long! I'm done with her and moving on though.

I had tracks in for 3 weeks (tangled really badly), and I got so much growth in those 3 weeks, it was ridiculous. More than half and inch!

Anyways, I am going to put some micros in my hair maybe next month or so. I bought the the kind of hair, that is braided really smll, and then it is curly. This what I hope it turns out like, or similar, although I don't plan to do them very small.

http://www.sensationnel.com/sens/index.asp

Ebony

Hi and welcome. I agree with Den1. It is personal preference and doing what happens to work best for your hair type. Did you gain growth and also retain the health of your hair while it was in braids all that time (april-dec)? I'm just wondering if it worked for you, then you at least know that individual braids are good for your hair growing process.
I sport a weave every summer. It was more out of convenience when I started since I travel alot that season. I have learned so much from this board and the old ones regarding hair care within the past year. I now know what works for my hair and how to properly care for it with or without wearing my weave. It I had this knowledge 3 yrs ago, it would probably be down my backside /images/graemlins/drunk.gif!
i've just taken out my last one 2 days before Christmas. i haven't measured my hair at all since jan'02. i should have before putting the last weave in, but i was running around preparing for vacation. i've just retouched and will measure when i straighten it. i wear my weaves for 3-4 months at a time, the last one was four. style options are endless and caring for it was easy. i wash it every two weeks and rinse my scalp with acv or seabreeze. i keep my scalp oiled constantly, mostly with natural oils, vit e or wild hair growth oil. if you leave hair out of the weave, you MUST keep it moisturized! i also boiled herbs and rinsed my scalp after washings with burdock, nettle and peppermint. i used sebastian wet when i wore it curly or blow dried it when i wore it straight. i slept with it in a braid and kept a satin scarf tied around the entire hairline and a satin or silk pillowcase. it is awesome! i love it!
i'm actually debating whether to get another sewn in now or try braids. my front hairline is not strong enough for box braids, so i would have to find something with cornrows in the front. who knows, but i hope i was of some help! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ebony

i just wanted to add that i love robin's site! i've pointed all my friends to it. especially the protecting your ends tip! I'm glad you mentioned it Den1. i'm sort of following it, only with weaves, but i am dying to see how braids work out for me.
-karonica be sure to keep us posted on those braid pics. i am so fascinated by folks who can braid their own /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! my sister and cousin do too! actually, they'll be doing mine if that's what i decide /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Nanyanika

Hello Karonica /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the compliments!

Your Quest: Did you do your own extensions? And how long have you been natural?

I wish i knew how! my hairdresser does all my exstensions, I've remained natural all my life. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nanyanika

Hello Ebony /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your quest:being natural all of your life, have you ever had any hair trials?

Of course definitely, even though I have never chemically processed my hair, I've had my fair share of setbacks.

For instance, I attended a local salon for three years,whilst studying my degree in Journalism.

The different hairdressers who styled my hair, made a good job in abusing it, because they could'nt manage its thickness, length and texture; to be brutually honest there is definitely a lack of common knowledge amongst some stylists on caring for peoples hair.

On one a occasion, I visited my local salon to have braids put in, the a hairdresser ripped and damaged all my ends with a small tooth comb, I was literally, Gobsmacked!

To accentuate the damage she braided my hair so tightly, my left hairline thinned out, and every-time I received new growth my hair would break, ends would split, so my hair could'nt get longer than past shoulder-length.

Learnt my lesson, I never returned to that salon. Seven months later and my hair has made a 360 degrees turn for the better.

I employed a new hairdresser and friend who has natural hair, she is brilliant, treats my hair with loving care.

Praise God! :grin /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

AZJeepgurl

Myrica,

Welcome to the board! I used to wear braids and weaves all the time.

First of all, I taught myself how to do both methods to save money and believe me, I've saved tons. Lots of trial and error over the years. But the most important thing I learned about either method is to not leave them in longer than 3 months.

Believe me: that makes all the difference in the world. I definitely prefer individual braids. As I remove each braid, I would gently comb through the newly released hair and finger separate any matted hair.
Lesson # 2: NEVER, EVER WASH BEFORE DETANGLING!
Lesson # 3: Make sure they are not in too tight!

Though I've never had the sewn-in braid method done, I believe it's comparable to wearing weaves and my hair definitely dreaded more with the sewn-in weave.

Ultimately, you will just have to go through your own trial and error period.

HTH,
Tammi
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kitkat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Believe me: that makes all the difference in the world. I definitely prefer individual braids. As I remove each braid, I would gently comb through the newly released hair and finger separate any matted hair.
Lesson # 2: NEVER, EVER WASH BEFORE DETANGLING!

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, this are the most important things to remember when removing braids. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You can do everything else right - not braid too tightly, wash and moisturize your braids, etc. - but if you don't follow those pieces of advice, any length that you achieve will be negated by tangles, knots, and the eventual cutting that will have to follow.

A

AmilLion

I would say, daily maintenance on your own hair. I found that braids and weaves then to thin the hair to a degree. I rather retain ALL hair strands /images/graemlins/smile.gif