4A's who wear individual braids

klb120475

Hey ladies! :hiya:My hair is 4A (fine) and I'm currently wearing individual braids. This is my first time wearing them. I've had them in for about 3 weeks...and I luv them.:supergrin:

Now, I'm looking for praise reports from other women who have 4a fine hair who has worn individual braids successfully. Meaning, when you took out the braids....you didn't break down crying because your hair fell out.:hair:

Don't ya'll come in here, ruining my "high" about my braids and how they gon damage my hair. :nono: I need edification, so advice on how to care for my hair while braided up is welcomed.:yep:

Blackoutzangel05

Aint nothing fine about my hair...its thick! But I still experience damage on the edges..how is that working out for you?? that is why I am scared to get braids..my edges are already thin

loveable37

Well let me say this i lost about 10 inches :wallbash:

the reason for it cause i dint take care of my braids for the whole 4 weeks their was in and make it so bad i used my own hair instead of extension thinkin i didnt have to do anythin to em.

klb120475

Well let me say this i lost about 10 inches :wallbash:

the reason for it cause i dint take care of my braids for the whole 4 weeks their was in and make it so bad i used my own hair instead of extension thinkin i didnt have to do anythin to em.

**Gasp** I'm sorry to hear that.

OT: Girl, you from Memphis too??:grin:

Misseyl

I've been wearing individual braids now for 4 months and haven't had any problems w/them. I do them myself so I'm able to leave my edges out but I have new growth and I don't seem to lose more hair other than dead hair that I would probably lose if I were to comb my hair everyday.

I rebraid every 4/5 weeks and keep it moisturized with Profectiv healthy Ends and Scurl...I'm not planning on relaxing any time soon so I'll keep you updated in another couple of months.

klb120475

I've been wearing individual braids now for 4 months and haven't had any problems w/them. I do them myself so I'm able to leave my edges out but I have new growth and I don't seem to lose more hair other than dead hair that I would probably lose if I were to comb my hair everyday.

I rebraid every 4/5 weeks and keep it moisturized with Profectiv healthy Ends and Scurl...I'm not planning on relaxing any time soon so I'll keep you updated in another couple of months.

Thanks for responding. How do you shampoo?

Mecca_Goddess

I have some in right now as well..... So far it has been 16 days.... I use Jamaican Lime no itch (or something like that) once a day just about.
I have taken each of the braids at my temples out once, just to make sure that my hair was not breaking.
I finger combed those areas and actually seem to have lost LESS than I normally do with any other style. I have washed once....

InnerSoul

when I had my braids(micros...) I left them in too long so of course I had breakage and major shedding(since it couldn't shed from being tangled up in the braids) I will never get micros again because it's too hard to untangle....but I love boxbraids and maybe getting them or twists in about a month. The boxbraids are bigger so I shouldn't have too hard of a time removing them and also I won't leave them in for too long like i did in the past.

I also plan on washing with my braids in the shower...that should keep my real hair soft and hopefully prevent too much tangling. We'll see how all of my plan goes when i get them.:look:

klb120475

when I had my braids(micros...) I left them in too long so of course I had breakage and major shedding(since it couldn't shed from being tangled up in the braids) I will never get micros again because it's too hard to untangle....but I love boxbraids and maybe getting them or twists in about a month. The boxbraids are bigger so I shouldn't have too hard of a time removing them and also I won't leave them in for too long like i did in the past.

I also plan on washing with my braids in the shower...that should keep my real hair soft and hopefully prevent too much tangling. We'll see how all of my plan goes when i get them.:look:

How long is too long?

sareca

I'm 4a and I've been wearing kinky twists since Dec 2006 with 1-2 week breaks every 2 months. My hair's thick. I don't have any hairline damage and it's always healthy and soft after takedown.

klb120475

I'm 4a and I've been wearing kinky twists since Dec 2006 with 1-2 week breaks every 2 months. My hair's thick. I don't have any hairline damage and it's always healthy and soft after takedown.

Sareca...I've always luved your hair. :blush:

I guess, I'm kinda concerned about the new growth. Since I take Msm my new growth grows in soft and straight :)yep:), but do I need to be concerned about the braids weighing down my hair. Does that make since?:look:

DeepBluSea

I basically follow the crown and glory. I used synthetic hair. I shampoo and condition every 11/2 -2 weeks with diluted shampoo and condish. I spray once daily with a mixture of S-curl, distilled water, Infusium 23, and a leave in condish. I have toyed with some of Sareca's methods like the DC and steaming the braids. I'm going to try to do them more often this time around. I did not have any excess hair loss.

I hope you have success with your braids.

sareca

Sareca...I've always luved your hair. :blush:

I guess, I'm kinda concerned about the new growth. Since I take Msm my new growth grows in soft and straight :)yep:), but do I need to be concerned about the braids weighing down my hair. Does that make since?:look:

:yep: I follow ya. Really the only way to know is to keep checking your hair and respond to its needs even while braided.

I take one braid down each week to see how my hair is doing. Last night, I took one down and it took a long time to get it untangled. I tried a second one and it took just as long. It's time for them to come down. I was planning to wait until this weekend, but I might do it today or tomorrow. :yep: I also check my hair's porosity, strength and elasticity. If there's something going on I use the appropriate conditioner. I use everything but hard protein and henna while braided.

klb120475

Thank ya'll for responding, I really appreciate it!:thankyou:

Now, maybe I can pump myself up to get on Shynessqueen's braid challenge...:look:

Last edited:

DeepBluSea

:yep: I follow ya. Really the only way to know is to keep checking your hair and respond to its needs even while braided.

I take one braid down each week to see how my hair is doing. Last night, I took one down and it took a long time to get it untangled. I tried a second one and it took just as long. It's time for them to come down. I was planning to wait until this weekend, but I might do it today or tomorrow. :yep: I also check my hair's porosity, strength and elasticity. If there's something going on I use the appropriate conditioner. I use everything but hard protein and henna while braided.

:notworthy When Sareca or Nonie talks braids, I listen. Yall are the braid gurus.