Sewn In Weave Tips

options

I know I am sounding rather schizophrenic with my hair ... posting threads about doing correctives, braiding hair and now a weave. But I am very frustrated and I think my next most immediate step is to cover it up, let it grow out some more, give it a rest and then attempt to correct/relax my hair.

I am very familiar with braiding and very good at it. My braids end up looking totally professional; however, they also take too damn long to do, so I am considering getting a sewn in weave. I figure the benefit is that it doesn't take as long and my hair is completely covered and protected.

Now, I have some questions:

1) Do you do your sewn in weaves yourself or get a pro to do it?
2) If you got a pro to do it, how did you go about selecting that person to do it?
3) How was your hair braided underneath it? I usually see pros braid the hair in a circular pattern all over the head.
4) How did you select your hair?
5) Did you leave any hair out in the front for blending, or did you braid your whole head? If so, how did you go about making it look natural in the front?

If you can think of anything else I am am neglecting to ask, please feel free to address it!

PaperDoll

~the original~
options said:
2) If you got a pro to do it, how did you go about selecting that person to do it?
3) How was your hair braided underneath it? I usually see pros braid the hair in a circular pattern all over the head.
5) Did you leave any hair out in the front for blending, or did you braid your whole head? If so, how did you go about making it look natural in the front?

If you can think of anything else I am am neglecting to ask, please feel free to address it!

1- I let my stylist do it. I can't braid :)

2- The salon/stylist I went to was featured in Essence and local mags, plus they had great word of mouth. I went in for a cosultation and was sold!

3- She braids it differently each time so as not to stress the same area repeatedly.

4- She (the stylist) selected the hair. I could have went and found hair on my own but I decided to trust her and she did an excellent job matching my color and texture.

5- My entire hairline is left out and a medium sized amount of hair in my crown is left out as well to cover tracks and blend.

alibi

hair bored

1) I go to a shop – can’t do a sew in myself!

2) I got her name from a flyer at the place where I got my hair – she sends a lot of her clients their to buy their hair.

3) She braided all my hair down except for the entire rim of my hairline. Then she attached a mesh cap and sewed the tracks onto the cap. The whole process took about 2 1/2 hours

4) I paid $130 for the hair at a place in Miami called Lugo's, which is a specialty hair place started in NY. It some of the best weaving hair I’ve seen, and it can be used over and over again. I’ve had this curly hair in for 6 weeks w/o one tangle! Anyways, they will sell you loose hair, or sew it onto a weft, whichever you prefer. I got 8 oz. of 10 inch hair custom blended to exactly my color and very close to my own curl pattern.

5) See #3, and yes, it looks very natural! :yep:

I already posted this, but here's the link to the stylist, it shows some pics of the process so you get an idea of what she did:

http://www.localbiznewsites.com/lachic/GERRI.jpg

You can also look in my album for pics. ;)

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
This is something I am contemplating too and options asked some of the questions that I asked a week or so ago. I have a couple of additional questions.

For those that have sew-in weaves, how often do you wash your hair/weave? Do you condition your real hair too?

Does one have to be extremely careful when washing/conditioning or is it fairly easy to do?

carrie

1) Do you do your sewn in weaves yourself or get a pro to do it? I let a pro do it

2) If you got a pro to do it, how did you go about selecting that person to do it? I met her one day at a BSS, she was passing out flyers to her salon and her hair was BANGIN! I talked to her for long time and then made an apponitment.

3) How was your hair braided underneath it? I usually see pros braid the hair in a circular pattern all over the head.Currently I have a cornrow in the front that follows my hairline from ear to ear and then the rest of the hair is braided straight back

4) How did you select your hair?I am all about the heat resistant synthetics that you can curl. I like to change my hair stlye and color often

5) Did you leave any hair out in the front for blending, or did you braid your whole head? If so, how did you go about making it look natural in the front?I leave out a 1/2" of my hairline in the front. I just moisturize my hair and tie down with a scarf at night and it blends fine. I have 4b hair.

PaperDoll

~the original~
CurlyCrly said:
This is something I am contemplating too and options asked some of the questions that I asked a week or so ago. I have a couple of additional questions.

For those that have sew-in weaves, how often do you wash your hair/weave? Do you condition your real hair too?

Does one have to be extremely careful when washing/conditioning or is it fairly easy to do?

I washed mine every 2-3 weeks, in between I used this latherless shampoo to cleanse my scalp and the hair, it works really well.

I would condition my hair more than the weave, (I did not have a net over my braids), I believe in oiling the scalp (mine anyway LOL) so I would do that too.

I was able to keep my weave WAY longer than I should have by using the latherless shampoo and babying the weave like it was my own hair (I wore it up most of the time and used heat infrequently)

HTH! :)

carrie

Right now, i am washing 1x a week with Paul Mitchell moisturizing shampoo and following with Panteene SS. I use a latherless also in between. Mine is by better braids. I also have a mixture of braidspray and hot six oil I put in a an applicator bottle and use on my scalp and hair underneath.

DangerouslyShy

options said:

I do mine myself...

IT depends on how I want it to be styled usually I braid it vertically!! than sometimes horizontally...

Indian remi hair is the best to me...it matches my hair texture

Ialways leave some out in the front and my edges!

QUOTE]

hOnii

do it myself

N/A

depends on the style i'm going to wear it.
i try different brands, in hopes to find the PERFECT HAIR. they all pretty much hold up well, but still searching. also depends on what texture i want.

of course! i leave out the beter part of the front half of my hair. works better for blending.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
options said:
I know I am sounding rather schizophrenic with my hair ... posting threads about doing correctives, braiding hair and now a weave. But I am very frustrated and I think my next most immediate step is to cover it up, let it grow out some more, give it a rest and then attempt to correct/relax my hair.

I am very familiar with braiding and very good at it. My braids end up looking totally professional; however, they also take too damn long to do, so I am considering getting a sewn in weave. I figure the benefit is that it doesn't take as long and my hair is completely covered and protected.

Now, I have some questions:

1- myself
3-pictures attached
4- i realized indian remi was the best out there and that int he long run im still saving money.
5- i always leave hair out. i think whem people dont leave hair out it looks wiggish

hair braiddesigns (the horizontal is just done quickly, but the braids should be alot smaller when getting it done for real):

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 000_0035-vi.jpg
    000_0035-vi.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 59
  • wve1.jpg
    wve1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 66

AngelicRose07

CurlyCrly said:

when i shampoo, i like to go row by row(weft) starting from the back. i kinda "part" one weft up and the 1st weft down, i then shampoo my hair in between. then i moveup to the next row and shampoo. its kinda hard getting to the scalp so i just do my best. after allt he rows are done, i shampoo all my left out hair. then i comb all the indianhairs down and shampoo that like normal flowing hair. then its rinse time =). i position my head under the water stream to get all the shampoo from my "blending" hair and the indian hairs. then i go row by row again and rinse until i can feel the water hit my scalp a few seconds(this time i start from the top). after im done with all of that i do one final rinse(about 1 minute). then i repeat the process with conditioner, only i use cooler water to rinse out.

cutebajangirl

Weave- Do the horizontal braids make the weave bulky? Also how did the weave with the braid pattern in thumbnail #1 come out? I am interested in leaving out none of my sides but I'm scared that it will look wiggy.TIA.
CBG

options

For those who sew it in themselves:

1) What kind of thread do you use?
2) How closely do you make the stitches?
3) How do you ensure that the hair lies right?
4) Do all of your rows go straight across, or in different directions depending on the area of the head (the front, for instance)?

carmend

Cuteb, you didnt ask me but I will answer: :) All of my weaves have been w/horizontal braids. Although my patterns have been slightly different then the one weaveitup has. I will see if I can find that diagram I did. I never leave my edges out. But if u are gonna braid up edges I would suggest u sew the weft along the hairline (like the braid in my mannequin head pic). Otherwise when the wind blows u will see the braids.

Options, I use the regualar weave thread sold at the BSS. I stitch about 1/2 inch apart. I try to lay the wefts in btw the braids (only makes sense if braids are horizontal) instead of on top of the braids to help it lay flat. I have found that the weave looks best if the part right on top of ur head near the leave out hair is braided straight back and then everything else is horizontal (like on the mannequin).

CurlyCrly

Is the yellow rectangle the leave out hair?

What does the red line represent?

Thank you all for providing so much advice to all of us. :)

carmend

Sorry I forgot to explain the pic... Yes the yellow box is the leave out hair. The red lines are where I sew the wefts on backwards (opposite direction) and then flip/comb in over itself and in w/the rest of the hair. This helps to hide the tracks on top that are near ur hair. This only really works when using curly weave hair IMO. B/c with straight hair it can start to look a lil bulking.. You can look in my fotki album for more pics and explaination of the "reverse method" b/c its kinda hard to explain w/words...

fotki: http://public.fotki.com/carmend3/
pw: africa

CurlyCrly said:
Is the yellow rectangle the leave out hair?

What does the red line represent?

Thank you all for providing so much advice to all of us. :)

CurlyCrly

carmend said:
The red lines are where I sew the wefts on backwards (opposite direction) and then flip/comb in over itself and in w/the rest of the hair. This helps to hide the tracks on top that are near ur hair. This only really works when using curly weave hair IMO.

That is an EXCELLENT idea!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Edited to ask question: Do you only sew one weft in backwards or all of the top level wefts, including the sides?

Last edited:

AngelicRose07

cutebajangirl said:
Weave- Do the horizontal braids make the weave bulky? Also how did the weave with the braid pattern in thumbnail #1 come out? I am interested in leaving out none of my sides but I'm scared that it will look wiggy.TIA.
CBG

if i were to do it on myself then yes, it would be bulky b/c i couldnt get at all the right angles to make it flat. it works better for me to do it on other people.

but the 1st THREE pictures in my other post are of the horizontal sew in. the 2nd and 3rd pics show the hair just sewn in and how it looks blended. it lays pretty flat.

are you asking for a side shot to see if the edges will look bulky when being braided in? if so, here ya go...

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18

AngelicRose07

no. actually, thats the 1st time i ever put a weave on a mannequin. i found it lying around all my moms crap. she has a antique shop and i guess she was going to use it to display clips and stuff... i duno. lol. hopefully she wont notice its missing *innocently looks around* lol

but other than that i learn from practicing on myself or watching other people. i catch onto hair concepts pretty quick by watching them, im a visual person....which is why i have all these pics demonstrating my concepts. i sound like a idiot when i try to just describe things with words.

CurlyCrly

Well, we all benefit from your visualness. :) Pictures are better at describing some things and words simply cannot compare.

cutebajangirl

carmend said:
Cuteb, you didnt ask me but I will answer: :) All of my weaves have been w/horizontal braids. Although my patterns have been slightly different then the one weaveitup has. I will see if I can find that diagram I did. I never leave my edges out. But if u are gonna braid up edges I would suggest u sew the weft along the hairline (like the braid in my mannequin head pic). Otherwise when the wind blows u will see the braids.

Options, I use the regualar weave thread sold at the BSS. I stitch about 1/2 inch apart. I try to lay the wefts in btw the braids (only makes sense if braids are horizontal) instead of on top of the braids to help it lay flat. I have found that the weave looks best if the part right on top of ur head near the leave out hair is braided straight back and then everything else is horizontal (like on the mannequin).

Thanks Carmend :)

cutebajangirl

weaveitup said:
if i were to do it on myself then yes, it would be bulky b/c i couldnt get at all the right angles to make it flat. it works better for me to do it on other people.

but the 1st THREE pictures in my other post are of the horizontal sew in. the 2nd and 3rd pics show the hair just sewn in and how it looks blended. it lays pretty flat.

are you asking for a side shot to see if the edges will look bulky when being braided in? if so, here ya go...

Thanks Weave !

carmend

curlyc.... i got the bliss machine weft deep curly. but also got an ounce of handtied to use on the top near the leave out. .. i did the reverse on the 3 tracks/(red lines) on the mannequin...

options

This might be a silly question, but how do you manage to sew it on the back yourself? I mean, I think I would be puncturing my scalp. Also, when you sew the hair onto the cornrows, do you sew the weft on the bottom of the cornrows, the middle (thickest) portion or the top?