Sewn In Weave: Good for hair growth?

gsu_girl

Has you ever had a sewn in weave? What were your experiences, good or bad? Do you think if properly maintained they would be good for hair growth? I'm considering one.

HairFanatic01

I've never had a sewn in weave, but my my friend has. Her hair grew tremendously while she kept her hair in the weave. Now I think there wouldn't be anything wrong with it as long as you can wash it on a weekly basis and have access to it.

HonEB

My mother wore weave for about 5 years non stop and the longest i have seen it before she cut it was about way past her bra strap

AngelaP

I had sewn in weaves for the majority of last year and my hair grew a lot even without me taking care of it. If I had taken care of it, the growth would have been better.

As long as you wash it and take care of it, I don't see why it wouldn't be good for growth.

gsu_girl

Any tips on getting making it not so bulky looking? I'm not doing it myself but had it once before and it looked bulky and thicker than I wanted it to.

lalah

I had it three times and yes it does grow your hair tremendously. As long as you take proper care of your own hair while it is in, you want have to get it cut off once you take it out.

caralexis2005

how do you take care of the hair underneath with the weave in? like how do you wash and with what? and how do you condition and with what? I would like details so I can picture it in my mind.
thanks

Karonica

Re: Sewn In Weave: Good for hair growth?

The first time I had one, I got super growth out of it. I only kept it in three weeks though. I've done a few on my own, but have never experienced that amount of growth I did the first time. Maybe it was my technique. But it can be a great protective style.

I don't like to keep them in long because it's hard to shampoo my scalp underneath and my hair needs to breath. I could never condition it, I just applied liquid leave-in to my scalp and it hit my hair under there too.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
gsu_girl said:
Any tips on getting making it not so bulky looking? I'm not doing it myself but had it once before and it looked bulky and thicker than I wanted it to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wore a sewn in weave for the longest time. You can tell where the braids were because it is the longest part of my hair now.
It was nice to wear curling iron styles, and not have to worry about doing damage to your real hair. Everyone thought it was my real hair too
. Weaves shouldn't be left in for more than 2 and a half months though. I stopped wearing one last month when I started my new regimen. When you wash your hair, the weave tends to coil around your real hair and turn into a mess! I like to condition my hair 3 or more times a week now...so it is no longer an option. I like seeing the results too. With the hair in...I couldn't really see what was happening.

I always had the bulky look after washing when I first started wearing them. The best thing to do is brush the hair out from root to tip before washing it. Use some hair pins or hair clips to separate the rows so they don't become tangled. Then wash the hair. After it dries...oil it and use a flat iron...or a curling iron to smooth out the hair near the base. It really does help. If you try this...let me know how it turns out.

gsu_girl

I'll let you all know how it turns out in terms of care/conditioning/hair growth when I get it done. I'm on a college student budget so it will probably be a month or so.
Hopefully right before spring break which is in March, maybe before then.

GrowthSpurt

I just had a sewn in weave. I took it out last night. I had it in for a few days short of a month. I'll be honest and say that I never washed it, and the only reason I took it out was because my head was funky and I needed to

Let me tell you...all I used on my hair was Profectiv 3-in-1 phase oil and that clear scalp serum stuff. My hair was so soft, so smooth, and I had over an inch of growth. I was

Today I cornrowed my hair and I got a new wig. a $19.99 Full Cap Pony Tail style San Fransisco Girl. It's basically a wig. I wouldnt wear it as anything else. My hair is going back into a sewn in weave ASAP.

I usually was it more often. But I'm taking 4 classes 4 days a week and I work full time. I just didn't have time. My head smelled like Love Spell and sweat for the last week. Nasty, but I had to.

GrowthSpurt

I just had a sewn in weave. I took it out last night. I had it in for a few days short of a month. I'll be honest and say that I never washed it, and the only reason I took it out was because my head was funky and I needed to

Let me tell you...all I used on my hair was Profectiv 3-in-1 phase oil and that clear scalp serum stuff. My hair was so soft, so smooth, and I had over an inch of growth. I was

Today I cornrowed my hair and I got a new wig. a $19.99 Full Cap Pony Tail style San Fransisco Girl. It's basically a wig. I wouldnt wear it as anything else. My hair is going back into a sewn in weave ASAP.

I usually was it more often. But I'm taking 4 classes 4 days a week and I work full time. I just didn't have time. My head smelled like Love Spell and sweat for the last week. Nasty, but I had to.

Karonica

I hear yuh. That's the one inconvenience about weaves, you can't scrub your head like you want to.

lilchanel

I had a sew in weave and it actually thinned my hair out. Maybe it was the person that did it. I still don't know why it happened.

GrowthSpurt

Okay, can I tell you ladies that I am LOVING, I mean LOVING this wig.... I get so many compliments on it it's insane. You've got to check this wig out. I wish I could find the Shake-n-Go website. I can't seem to locate it.