Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
So for the weekend, I tried something completely out of my comfort zone....a dry flexi rod set on my previously roller set hair. Y'all be nice cause I had no clue what I was doing!!!

I started from the back and parted my hair horizontally. I did this because I wanted the curls to have a layered effect. I ended up with 4 layers and each layered section got 4-5 flexi rods.

To set: I misted a tiny amount of water in my hands, smoothed it into the hair then followed it with a small amount of Hairveda whipped gelly. I did this for each flexi rod. I didn't want my hair to be wet nor damp just coated as to not revert it.

Sat under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes, then just let them sit in for an hour while I did laundry

Separated and fluffed!

I will pineapple at night to see if that will make the curls last. I really only need to it to last until my doctor's appt on Monday. After that I'll just throw it into 2 goddess braids until I'm ready to wash again at the end of next week.

Do you love it as much as I do? Even if you don't...just lie to make me feel good cause I'm headed out on a late lunch date and think I look cute. lol

Be back later to check out the sets that y'all are doing for the weekend.

Last edited:

faithVA

So for the weekend, I tried something completely out of my comfort zone....a dry flexi rod set on my previously roller set hair. Y'all be nice cause I had no clue what I was doing!!!

I started from the back and parted my hair horizontally. I did this because I wanted the curls to have a layered effect. I ended up with 4 layers and each layered section got 4-5 flexi rods.

To set: I misted a tiny amount of water in my hands, smoothed it into the hair then followed it with a small amount of Hairveda whipped gelly. I did this for each flexi rod. I didn't want my hair to be wet nor damp just coated as to not revert it.

Sat under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes, then just let them sit in for an hour while I did laundry

Separated and fluffed!

I will pineapple at night to see if that will make the curls last. I really only need to it to last until my doctor's appt on Monday. After that I'll just throw it into 2 goddess braids until I'm ready to wash again at the end of next week.

Do you love it as much as I do? Even if you don't...just lie to make me feel good cause I'm headed out on a late lunch date and think I look cute. lol

Be back later to check out the sets that y'all are doing for the weekend.

That was cute.

Not lying. Your curls came out really cute.

GettingKinky

lulu97 that came out really well!!! I wonder if it would work on air dried hair? That seems much easier than a regular roller set. I'll have to try that before I convince myself that I need a Pibbs.

toaster

I actually ended up ordering the blue capelli rollers on amazon. I had a gift card, so it was cheaper than using the discount code. I went with the blue size because I think that gives me the look I'm going for with my length for now. I'll probably order the pink from the actual site around June or July.

I'm going to be sad if my package comes after everyone else's!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I picked up some jumbo flexirods and permrods from Sally's to go with my others rollers and Curlformers. After this, I shouldn't need to purchase rollers of any kind for the next 10 years.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a large flexirod set for big curls.

Mjon912

blairxo it's not much faster then roller setting but my 8month old wakes up when I have the dryer on. My DH was watching him while I blow dried and then I just got in the bed and flat ironed so he could go to sleep (my son sleeps in the pack and play at the end of our bed =\)

But my plans got cancelled for today so I spritzed my hair and rollerset it, I've got it wrapped now but I didn't really like the results, now I'm a poofy curly mess lol

This is what it looked like this morning
image-1371644909.jpg

This is in rollers after I spritzed it and got under the dryer
image-422341078.jpg

This is my curly poof ball lol, it's a lot poofier then it looks in the pic. I might end up trying to flat iron it after I take down my wrap if it's still not sleek looking

image-1791988475.jpg

image-2549984279.jpg

image-4088985712.jpg

Attachments

• image-113469093.jpg
    image-113469093.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 60

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
blairxo it's not much faster then roller setting but my 8month old wakes up when I have the dryer on. My DH was watching him while I blow dried and then I just got in the bed and flat ironed so he could go to sleep (my son sleeps in the pack and play at the end of our bed =\) But my plans got cancelled for today so I spritzed my hair and rollerset it, I've got it wrapped now but I didn't really like the results, now I'm a poofy curly mess lol This is what it looked like this morning This is in rollers after I spritzed it and got under the dryer This is my curly poof ball lol, it's a lot poofier then it looks in the pic. I might end up trying to flat iron it after I take down my wrap if it's still not sleek looking

Mjon912
I think it's pretty just the way it is already!

Last edited:

theprototype

I've been waiting weeks for Capelli to restock their Halo rollers, 'cause I really want to try them out. So they've finally restocked, but shipping to Canada for 4 packs of white halo rollers is $36 (including a $15 handling fee). So disappointed. :(

toaster

I've been waiting weeks for Capelli to restock their Halo rollers, 'cause I really want to try them out. So they've finally restocked, but shipping to Canada for 4 packs of white halo rollers is $36 (including a $15 handling fee). So disappointed. :(

theprototype would it be cheaper on amazon? They sell there as well.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
So for the weekend, I tried something completely out of my comfort zone....a dry flexi rod set on my previously roller set hair. Y'all be nice cause I had no clue what I was doing!!! I started from the back and parted my hair horizontally. I did this because I wanted the curls to have a layered effect. I ended up with 4 layers and each layered section got 4-5 flexi rods. To set: I misted a tiny amount of water in my hands, smoothed it into the hair then followed it with a small amount of Hairveda whipped gelly. I did this for each flexi rod. I didn't want my hair to be wet nor damp just coated as to not revert it. Sat under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes, then just let them sit in for an hour while I did laundry Separated and fluffed! I will pineapple at night to see if that will make the curls last. I really only need to it to last until my doctor's appt on Monday. After that I'll just throw it into 2 goddess braids until I'm ready to wash again at the end of next week. Do you love it as much as I do? Even if you don't...just lie to make me feel good cause I'm headed out on a late lunch date and think I look cute. lol Be back later to check out the sets that y'all are doing for the weekend.

Omgosh so gorgeous Lu!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

coilyhaircutie

Mjon912 lulu97 cute sets! both of your hair 'dos came out lovely.

I tried bantu knots after doing curlformers for the first time last night, after looking at toaster's pictures. It came out pretty well- thanks for the idea! Just wanted to share some pics with you all. My roots came out really flat and straight this morning, it was kind of surprising. I almost wish I had a little more volume. I didn't know bantu knots could get my roots to lay so flat. I did about 9-10 bantu knots all over. It's a great base for a braid or an updo!
DSCF2448.jpg
DSCF2458.jpg
closeup b-knot.jpg

Blairx0

Decided to give perm Rods a go and I think this may be the first and last time.

They are taking forever to dry. I did this set a finishing out my dc and I rung out my hair. I applied leave in and no extra water. Still it has been over an hour under the dryer.

I think I will be sleeping in these. I really wanted that curly bob look, but my ends my never dry, so I will have stretched roots, wavey lengeth and curly ends. Ugh.

coilyhaircutie

thank you Froreal3 :)

Blairx0 aw, don't give up! I feel your pain- perm rods do take forever and a day to dry. that's one of their cons. but when they're done right and your hair dries, it looks beautiful. I think perm rod curls look more natural than curlformers. they also give more volume. I hope you'll try them again.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Decided to give perm Rods a go and I think this may be the first and last time. They are taking forever to dry. I did this set a finishing out my dc and I rung out my hair. I applied leave in and no extra water. Still it has been over an hour under the dryer. I think I will be sleeping in these. I really wanted that curly bob look, but my ends my never dry, so I will have stretched roots, wavey lengeth and curly ends. Ugh.

The last time I did those, my stylist used lotta body and it dried in about an hour. She also use a lot of lotta body.

What leave-ins did you use?

toaster

coilyhaircutie you know I got that Bantu knot idea from lulu97 but yours looks great!! I usually only do three because I already have a ton of volume to my hair after setting. I do like how straight the roots get.