Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Blairx0

toaster

I used serum after my leave in to detangle and add shine prior to setting. It was hard for me because i could never use just the right about. I want to revisit, but it can be frustrating to mess up a good set because i didn't apply enough or applied too much

Babygrowth

Are y'all talking about serums in general or a particular serum? I need a good one. I have Garnier fructis anti frizz serum for my weave but don't know how it would do on my rollerset hair.

toaster

Thanks everyone! I set my hair in 8 pre-parted sections. I'm thinking I will wet my hair, apply my leave in, detangle, apply the serum to the detangled section, then split my hair in 3 and roll. I usually re-wet each third of the section prior to rolling so it's soaking wet. I hope it works!

ETA: Babygrowth I'm talking about the It's a 10 Miracle Styling Serum, as that's the one I purchased, but I think the advice applies to all serums.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

I'm in!!!

I was sick last week and I got lazy about everything, especially my hair which already looked a HM because I hadn't really taken care of it since early December. :nono: I was reading this thread on Friday night and decided that on Saturday I would get my hair trimmed and try a roller set.

Since my hair is natural, I was concerned that the stylist wouldn't want to roller set my hair and would try to talk me into blow drying and flat ironing my hair. I was right, she did, but I held firm and my hair turned out wonderfully.

I was not planning to join another challenge, but this is something that I can see myself doing for the long haul, and you ladies are an awesome inspiration as you all have some beautiful hair!

The only downside is that my hair looks poofy and untouchable, but it's actually very soft and springy. I look just like my grandma. :)

Here's a picture of my day 2 hair (Sunday) after I pin curled it. Today, my curls are still very springy and bouncy after pin curling again last night. My roots are a little thick, but that's okay. I plan to wear my hair in two halo braids (french braids/plaits) after today.

I will probably roller set every week because I will sweat my hair out from exercising.

I'll edit this post with my responses to the questions for challengers to answer.

Please pardon Mt. Vesuvius erupting on my cheekbone. :spinning:

Current hair length: SL stretched
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Loose Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: My hair was curled going straight back, and after the curls are out, I protective style with plaits or buns
Current Setting products: Haven't tried on my own yet, but stylist used Nairobi products. Once I start doing them on my own, will update.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: healthy hair, and maximum retention.
How long do you plan to set?: The rest of the year. I am trying to make APL this year, so I need every inch.
Post a beginning picture:

Last edited:

sexypebbly

I just bought the curlformer soft bonnet dryer so gonna use that to set my curlformers with so I dont have to sleep on those darn things. Will let u all know how it is once I get it.

toaster

Under the dryer. I eventually ended up adding the serum before I detangled because my hair was extra tangly today. It just wasn't the best setting night. Not because of the new products, but just because. I hope Thursday will be better and I hope this set isn't a total fail. I'm going to put it in 3 bantu knots tonight anyway so I just need my hair to be stretched.

Blairx0

prettybyrd

welcome! your set came out looking nice. I have heard good things about Nairobi foam. When you start to use it on your own post a review!

prettybyrd

prettybyrd

welcome! your set came out looking nice. I have heard good things about Nairobi foam. When you start to use it on your own post a review!

Thank you, Blair! I certainly will. Before I moved, my standing dryer died, so I will be going to the salon for a few more weeks until I can get my own again. I'm very excited to give this a try on a regular basis.

toaster

Serum is awesome! I've never used it on my natural hair before but my hair is very soft, smooth, and shiny. I ended up massaging my scalp with my sulfur pomade (grow hair, grow!) moisturizing with the Entwine Butter Cream and sealing with SSI Seyani Hair butter. I usually use a little oil first but I didn't need it because of the serum. I put my hair in two bantu knots in the front and one loose bun in the back (apparently I can't form a proper bantu knot behind me, I'll work on it).

I'll see what my hair looks like tomorrow.

I really need the Capelli Care rollers. I think my hair would be much smoother with rollers with grips.

Blairx0

toaster

I wrote the company about the hourglass rollers are they estimate they will be back in stock by the end of the week. They are also supposed to be writing a Lhcf members only discount code. The code will be posted on vendor's forum so only paying members can see it, but I will post here when they reply to my email

Last edited:

toaster

The result of my Bantu knots/loose bun from last night. I'm a creature of habit so I ended up putting my hair in a bun. I'll wear it out one day. Maybe Friday after I set again Thursday night.

image-49839753.jpg

image-1119510259.jpg

image-935144185.jpg

toaster

Those are some lush beautiful curls. What size rollers did you use?

Thanks! I just used my 1 1/8 inch rollers. I think the bantu knots/loose bun had more to do with my curls than the actual set. I'm loving the lack of poof at my roots due to the knots/bun. I know that my run tonight will ruin that, but oh well. I considered bantu knotting my hair every night, but that seems like a lot of manipulation and I try to run 5-6 days a week. At least I looked nice today.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Today's set and notes (for me and for you since I often go back the day before I roller set to see how I can improve from the last set)

Still practicing the mohawk method. I'm getting better but still struggling with the back rollers.

I now have to sit sideways under the dryer cause my tummy is getting huge and the baby goes into ninja mode if I try to sit up straight. And yes, I'mma be rolling until lil man decides to make his debut. Can't stop, wont stop! *Insert hair flip*

The last 4 or 5 sets, I noticed that my hair is longer than my arms can reach and I find myself getting on my tippy toes a lot when I'm rolling. *Giggles and inserts double hair flip*

Securing the roller first with the metal clip before adding the snap on cap keeps the roots a little firmer and is also helping me get used to using bigger rollers that can't fit the snap on cap.

Music makes me forget about the time it takes to set and dry. Bob Marley's Legend album was like Calgon and straight up took me away.

Oh and Products/Roller setting regimen same as always but I'll list again for the new Ladies joining us:
*Pre-shampoo treatment overnight with coconut oil
*Next day:Cleansed with Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
*Deep conditioned under steamer with Hairveda Sitrinillah
*Used it's a 10 leave in to set
Short, simple and sweet always gives me the best results.
Picture TIMMMMEEE!
Pic 1 & 2 My roller pattern
Pic 3
Close up of final results after separating the curls a bit and adding a little Hick's Edge control to my edges. I loved the results so much, I had to put it in black and white! Well that and I'm trying to play around with changing my profile picture here. lol
You can tell where I struggled a bit with the back rollers because a few bottom layers are not reaching it's longest curly point. (The roots are not straight back there if that makes sense) Also my hair was so freaking moisturized and shiny, I didn't need any additional products after. That's the funny thing about regimens...they are nice and all but how my hair behaves and feels ALWAYS trump a strict regimen. If it feels lush and juicy, why moisturize? It's so cool when you start to evolve and realize that at some point along the way, your hair will be the best determining factor in deciding what it needs. It will be up to you to listen and follow suit.

Pic 4
How I plan to style later on in the week...high bun with a side bang.

Pic 5: Bonus pic for your laughing pleasure :)
Sitting sideways under the dryer fighting my 7 month preggo jelly belly.

Last edited:

MayaNatural

prettybyrd toaster lulu97
Your hair came out beautiful!! I'm loving roller sets right now. My hair is so smooth and soft.

I also went back to Walgreens to pick up it's a 10 LI that was on clearance and it was gone. :( I'll try Target, either way I'll buy it.

ronie

Today's set and notes (for me and for you since I often go back the day before I roller set to see how I can improve from the last set) Still practicing the mohawk method. I'm getting better but still struggling with the back rollers. I now have to sit sideways under the dryer cause my tummy is getting huge and the baby goes into ninja mode if I try to sit up straight. And yes, I'mma be rolling until lil man decides to make his debut. Can't stop, wont stop! *Insert hair flip* The last 4 or 5 sets, I noticed that my hair is longer than my arms can reach and I find myself getting on my tippy toes a lot when I'm rolling. *Giggles and inserts double hair flip* Securing the roller first with the metal clip before adding the snap on cap keeps the roots a little firmer and is also helping me get used to using bigger rollers that can't fit the snap on cap. Music makes me forget about the time it takes to set and dry. Bob Marley's Legend album was like Calgon and straight up took me away. Oh and Products/Roller setting regimen same as always but I'll list again for the new Ladies joining us: *Pre-shampoo treatment overnight with coconut oil *Next day:Cleansed with Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse *Deep conditioned under steamer with Hairveda Sitrinillah *Used it's a 10 leave in to set Short, simple and sweet always gives me the best results. ****************************************** Picture TIMMMMEEE! Pic 1 & 2 My roller pattern Pic 3 Close up of final results after separating the curls a bit and adding a little Hick's Edge control to my edges. I loved the results so much, I had to put it in black and white! Well that and I'm trying to play around with changing my profile picture here. lol You can tell where I struggled a bit with the back rollers because a few bottom layers are not reaching it's longest curly point. (The roots are not straight back there if that makes sense) Also my hair was so freaking moisturized and shiny, I didn't need any additional products after. That's the funny thing about regimens...they are nice and all but how my hair behaves and feels ALWAYS trump a strict regimen. If it feels lush and juicy, why moisturize? It's so cool when you start to evolve and realize that at some point along the way, your hair will be the best determining factor in deciding what it needs. It will be up to you to listen and follow suit. Pic 4 How I plan to style later on in the week...high bun with a side bang. Pic 5: Bonus pic for your laughing pleasure :) Sitting sideways under the dryer fighting my 7 month preggo jelly belly.

Such a great post: informative and funny with beautiful pics. Your set as another poster said is so neat, and your hair came out gorgeous.
Love the belly pic too. Wishing you a quick and painless ( as painless as can be) delivery.
If you re 7 months, that means little man is due in April? That's my birthday month yayy. Love April people, lol.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
lulu97

I went back to the Mohawk method. I used less rollers. I think I might stick with it from now on.

I don't get at much volume from the larger rollers, but I get a decent ponytail now.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2722430985.jpg
    image-2722430985.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1625926030.jpg
    image-1625926030.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 77

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
ronie Thanks Lady!!! Well they gave me a due date of May 7th but I'm hoping he will come at the end of April. I don't understand how the doctors say 40 weeks is full term which equates to 10 full months of pregnancy. Ummm no ma'am!

Blairx0

@ lulu97

I hope your new addition comes right on time! I am not in the mommy club, but as my mother says a healthy baby is worth the wait!

Besides that means you will be squeezing under the dryer and making me envious with those gorgeous sets for a few months longer. You hair is looking lush and lovely. I am sure you are going to be hottest mom on the block!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Lulu...why didn't I know you was preggo? Or did I...lol my brain is crazy hahaha! Congrats if I haven't said it before. :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

werenumber2

My hair's a little frizzy because it was the end of the night, but this was the result of my rollerset and wrap the other day:

werenumber2

Wow you got your hair so straight and smooth. What products did you use? And what size rollers?

GettingKinky - I get mine done at the salon. I'm all thumbs when it comes to trying to curl my own hair :lol:.

I do bring along my own bottle of Lacio Lacio leave-in for them to use. I'm not sure what size rollers they put in my hair, but they definitely do the Mohawk technique.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Same ole, same ole. Hair has been in one big bantu knot since my set. I'm starting to prefer maintaining in one bantu knot. The curls are looser and resembles the curls of the actual roller set. If I do it neat enough, I can just throw on a headband and wear it as a style....which I've actually been doing. Speaking of headbands...they are great at camouflaging my roots since the one bantu knot does not get them as straight. Gotta go shopping for more.

My hair is nice...but missing the bounce I like. Co-cleansing did not remove enough of the coconut oil as I wish it did as a pre-poo. The good part of that is I haven't had to moisturize because my hair feels good and is shiny but it lacks that uummph I like. Gonna try and push this set for 10-14 days so next wash will def be a shampoo wash. If I can get it to last that long, going to stick with that wash frequency for a while to see how I like it. Will stick with shampoo for a while too because co-cleansing is blocking my roller set bounce!

Last edited: