Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

toaster

My favorite part of my rollerset hair is how it looks after the curls have dropped and I've been moisturizing and sealing it at night.

image-207404345.jpg

image-4149154282.jpg

Tonight is cowash night and I always lightly finger detangle before I apply the conditioner or shampoo if it's shampoo day. I don't add any product because my strands are lubricated from my products the night before. I just thought my hair looked funny after I completed one side.

image-1633860772.jpg

I'll be back to discuss my wash and go dilemma in a way only other ladies on a hair board would understand.

toaster

I want to punch somebody, but I guess that somebody was me.

1) Trying to use magnetic rollers without snaps just did not work for me. I hope the mesh rollers are better.

2) 1.5 inch rollers do not work for my hair in the quadrant method. I wish I had figured that out before I was 7/8 done with my hair.

3) The mohawk method really isn't that hard, and it only took me about 25 minutes to set my hair that way. I wish I had just tried that (with snaps) from the beginning.

Finally under the dryer. Starving and angry. I hope my hair comes out okay, but I re-do it on Thursday's anyway.

toaster

My wash and go dilemma:

I really want to wear one! I didn't wear any wash and go's really the last time I grew my hair out because I wanted my hair to grow fast, so I kept my ends protected. It work, but I got bored with my hair.

Now I LOVE my rollersets. Especially how detangled my hair is from one set to another, even if I shampoo. Having to detangle for each roller really keeps my hair stretched and it's nice. Also having stretched hair makes for better buns and styling.

I was thinking about getting a Deva-style hair cut over Easter weekend. That means I need to decide now if I'm going to wear wash and go's (weekends only, rollersets during the week) so I can try to get them to where I can go to the salon for a consultation and eventually the cut.

I'm not sure if the detangling I'd have to do to turn a wash and go into a roller set is worth it, whether or not I'll even wear the wash and go's out, and wanting to stick with my roller sets because they're pretty.

Help?

Last edited:

toaster

toaster

You should try to do a couple of WNG's, before you cut based on it. Make sure you like them first.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I almost did one tonight, because I was so frustrated having to set and then re-set my hair. My plan is to try one this weekend.

I was thinking about leaving in a lot of a slippy "curl" conditioner (maybe Pantene or Herbal Essences) and using the Wetline Xtreme Gel I just bought from Sally's. I plan on shampooing and deep conditioning beforehand, making sure my hair is really detangled, applying the product in the shower to soaking wet hair, and sectioning my hair so that I can evenly apply the product.

We'll see.

Blairx0

I have never done a wash and go, but always wanted to. I resist now thinking how much work it would be to get a product combo and figure put how my hair is going to dry. Maybe I will think again come summer.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I almost did one tonight, because I was so frustrated having to set and then re-set my hair. My plan is to try one this weekend.

I was thinking about leaving in a lot of a slippy "curl" conditioner (maybe Pantene or Herbal Essences) and using the Wetline Xtreme Gel I just bought from Sally's. I plan on shampooing and deep conditioning beforehand, making sure my hair is really detangled, applying the product in the shower to soaking wet hair, and sectioning my hair so that I can evenly apply the product.

We'll see.

Let us know the results! I have too many textures for WNGs.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

toaster

Thank you MileHighDiva!! I'll be sure to try that before I apply the products. I'd hate to end up with white balls and icky hair. That would ensure I never did another wash and go.

GettingKinky

toaster I really want to try wash n gos too. That's why I'm working on cutting off my bonelaxed ends. But I know finding the right product combo will take a lot of time and effort. I totally understand your dilemma. I never even thought about the tangles.

Why didn't 1 1/2" rollers work with the quadrant method?

toaster

GettingKinky

Girl, I don't even know. It worked last time just fine! Well, but just fine I mean I managed to get 22 rollers on my head instead of the 24 I used with the 1 1/8 inch rollers.

I think I made a few mistakes this time, the worst being that I tried to use the rollers without the snaps. I think the snaps help me get the roller closer to my scalp so I can maneuver the other rollers better. I also think the double prong clips work well for my hair, but I wish I had tried long bobby pins instead. Blairx0 would long bobby pins work to clasp the mesh rollers to the scalp?

I'm just not used to working with the larger roller, but I'll figure it out eventually. On the other hand, the mohawk method wasn't very difficult. I had some trouble with the sides because I'm not used to rolling in that direction, but I bet I could get a handle of it with more practice.

Right now my hair is in 3 bantu knots, so hopefully that will get rid of some of the crinkles I got with this set, and I can have smooth buns for the rest of the week. I'm going to go ahead and try to wash and go this weekend, but if I can truly master the roller set I'd be willing to postpone my wash and go experiments for a while.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I want to punch somebody, but I guess that somebody was me.

1) Trying to use magnetic rollers without snaps just did not work for me. I hope the mesh rollers are better.

2) 1.5 inch rollers do not work for my hair in the quadrant method. I wish I had figured that out before I was 7/8 done with my hair.

3) The mohawk method really isn't that hard, and it only took me about 25 minutes to set my hair that way. I wish I had just tried that (with snaps) from the beginning.

Finally under the dryer. Starving and angry. I hope my hair comes out okay, but I re-do it on Thursday's anyway.

What happened w/the magnetics w/out snaps toaster?

Amazing! It still takes me about 45 minutes. :ohwell:

toaster

Froreal3 I just had a hard time getting the hair taut and keeping the roller from eventually falling off. I don't think I'm experienced enough to not use snaps.

My capelli rollers should be here Wednesday so I hope they will give me some more tension.

GettingKinky

toaster you can do your whole head on 22 1-1/8" rollers? It takes me at least 30. If I could get down to 22 I could save a lot of time. But then it would probably take longer to dry and I hate sitting under the dryer.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My wash and go dilemma: I really want to wear one! I didn't wear any wash and go's really the last time I grew my hair out because I wanted my hair to grow fast, so I kept my ends protected. It work, but I got bored with my hair. Now I LOVE my rollersets. Especially how detangled my hair is from one set to another, even if I shampoo. Having to detangle for each roller really keeps my hair stretched and it's nice. Also having stretched hair makes for better buns and styling. I was thinking about getting a Deva-style hair cut over Easter weekend. That means I need to decide now if I'm going to wear wash and go's (weekends only, rollersets during the week) so I can try to get them to where I can go to the salon for a consultation and eventually the cut. I'm not sure if the detangling I'd have to do to turn a wash and go into a roller set is worth it, whether or not I'll even wear the wash and go's out, and wanting to stick with my roller sets because they're pretty. Help?

toaster I think you can do both. A Deva cut for wash and go-s will probably also give your roller sets a nice layered shape as well.

I like your idea of roller setting during the week and doing wash and go's on the weekend. I still do roller sets during the hotter months but when I don't feel like roller setting and sitting under the hell box dryer for an hour, I'll do a wash and go curly bun.

I do the same process as you would with a wash and go, sit under my hooded dryer for 15 minutes to set then throw it into a high pineapple until it dries fully. I still have a lot of relaxed ends so I don't wear it down and probably never will because I prefer the look of the curly buns instead.

toaster

GettingKinky I could set my whole head with 24 1 1/8 inch rollers. I divided my head into four quadrants, and each quadrant was divided vertically into two sections. So I had 8 sections and each section got 3 rollers.

brownb83

Have any of you ladies tried nariobi hair products?

I bought the leave in conditioner and im under the dryer now..

So i liked the leave in conditioner alot. It can be back up for when i run out of my normal stuff.

I think im going to make a target run next week to get its a 10 look

faithVA

Here is my curlformer set from Valentine's Day weekend. I didn't get decent pictures when I separated the curls. I was running late and trying to take pictures on the run.

Can't wait until my hair is longer so I can hang out with you ladies more often.

DSCN0998 (447x424).jpg

DSCN0997 (451x340).jpg

DSCN1012 (593x430).jpg

toaster

faithVA

I love how straight you got your roots and how you styled the front of your hair. I still have trouble with making the front look nice.

faithVA

faithVA

I love how straight you got your roots and how you styled the front of your hair. I still have trouble with making the front look nice.

I love how straight it gets as well. My roots and hair come out very well. My hair doesn't come out this straight when I press it. Now my dang ends are a mess :lol: Hopefully by summer they will be fine.

I curled the front to the front this time instead of too the sides or back and that helped me come up with something.

I plan on doing another set this weekend.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here is my curlformer set from Valentine's Day weekend. I didn't get decent pictures when I separated the curls. I was running late and trying to take pictures on the run. Can't wait until my hair is longer so I can hang out with you ladies more often.

Love it! The roots are straight and your strands are smooth! That's the best combo in keeping moisture in the hair and tangles far away! Gone head faithVA with yo bad self!!! :)

Blairx0

Looking good faithVA!!! I always enjoy reading your post. You may not recall, but I was in the APL 2012 challenge and read all your post. I have been following your journey in various threads since. It is impressing to me the way you chopped, but didn't stop the journey! Your hair is looking good and your fight in the hair game is what I aspire too.

faithVA

Thank you!

Looking good faithVA!!! I always enjoy reading your post. You may not recall, but I was in the APL 2012 challenge and read all your post. I have been following your journey in various threads since. It is impressing to me the way you chopped, but didn't stop the journey! Your hair is looking good and your fight in the hair game is what I aspire too.

Thank you! I do remember my short stay in the apl challenge. That seems so long ago. I'm over this fight. You can have it. :lol:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Here is my curlformer set from Valentine's Day weekend. I didn't get decent pictures when I separated the curls. I was running late and trying to take pictures on the run. Can't wait until my hair is longer so I can hang out with you ladies more often.

It looks gr8 faith! I love how full it is. And you did an excellent job getting your hair smooth. I likie!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF