Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

toaster

This madness has to stop. I went to Sally's to buy a wide tooth comb as I broke some teeth on my old one. I walked out with 24 1.5 inch magnetic rollers with snaps, roller prong clips to see if that helps with my roots, 32 ounces of wet line xtreme gel (going to try a wash and go next weekend) and the comb I actually wanted to buy.

Setting this afternoon!

And I still plan on buying the capelli rollers once they're in stock!

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
GettingKinky It may have something to do with the amount of time I left it in. It's been in 1 bantu knot for 2 full days. Yesterday I just threw on a headband and wore it in that same bantu knot without taking it down. I coulda went another day but my edges were starting to frizz up something serious so I will just wear it down today. Tonight I'll spritz my edges with a tiny bit of water, moisturize them then apply a little more Hick's edge control and a scarf to tame them overnight. My hair length can go a few more days without moisturizing...my edges dry out the fastest so I have to be mindful of them. I'll put my hair back into 1 neat bantu knot and keep it in until Sat and wear my hair down again. That's why I prefer 1 knot over the 3 I used to do. I can actually wear it in public. Headbands are about to be my best friend! lol

Maybe try a holding product or at least wet them a bit with your moisturizer to help mold them a bit if you just have time for overnight setting. HTH

Last edited:

Blairx0

toaster I got bad news, your spending spree isn't over yet!

I posted the capellicare.com discount code in the vendors forum. The code is to be for paying members only, so please don't post it here ladies.

According to their twitter account there site will be restocked tomorrow!

coilyhaircutie

Here's how my large perm rod set came out. There is a lot of texture in my hair because I didn't use a brush to smooth my hair in the back
View attachment 245833
View attachment 245831
View attachment 245835

Doing this set, I used Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker for the first time.
Mini-review: It has amazing slip, my denman brush just glided through my hair like nothing. It also provides great hold, I can tell this set will last. However, a tiny bit goes a long way. On some of my sections in the front, I used a lot of gel so the curls would "set" well, and now those sections have a film on them :\ I'm going to use less next time.

Hey girls! Just wanted to give a mini-update on the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker that I used for my last perm rod set. The first time I used it, I used Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave-in underneath it. For my last curlformer set a couple of days ago, I used the Curl Maker alone with nothing else underneath it. The next day, there was no crazy film on my hair like the first time. So I think this gel is something that can't be mixed with leave-ins. It's actually quite moisturizing by itself. Next time, I'm going to try it with oil underneath.

Question: Have any of you guys tried using a steamer to revive an old rollerset/curlformer set/etc? A lot of people use steamers to revive curly/natural hair without washing it, and I was wondering if they could be used to revive an old rollerset so you wouldn't have to start from scratch

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
toaster I got bad news, your spending spree isn't over yet! I posted the capellicare.com discount code in the vendors forum. The code is to be for paying members only, so please don't post it here ladies. According to their twitter account there site will be restocked tomorrow!

Oh snap!!! We fancy NI :)

Blairx0 Thanks lady for getting the discount. You rock as always!

toaster

Blairx0 I am soooo excited!!! First thing I'm going to do in the morning is buy the pink and blue hourglass rollers. I know I'll be mad at myself for not buying the white ones though... How many pins do you think I need?!

coilyhaircutie

I think Alicia James on YouTube uses her Qredew to moisturize her blown out hair without it reverting. I'll see if I can find the video and link it here. It seemed to work well with her, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a roller or rod set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC83pQHAjCQ

toaster

Oh yeah, I came on to sound like a broken record about the It's a 10 Product line.

Since I added the serum I decided to use more shampoo than I usually do. Previously I would apply the shampoo to my scalp and let the residue run down my length as I rinsed. I've noticed that the pumps on all the It's a 10 Products are short, so not that much product comes out with one pump. For each quarter of my hair I used one pump on my scalp and one pump on my length. The shampoo lathers nicely but it feels like conditioner on my hair. When you rinse, however, it feels like shampoo in that your hair feel super clean, but not stripped or tangly.

I had the easiest DC and detangling session afterwards. The 17 oz It's a 10 Miracle DC that I thought was empty two weeks ago is still hanging in there. I wish I could see inside the bottle or figure out how to open it up, but I won't be throwing it away until it stops pumping product. Coupled with my oil mix I was able to detangle my hair super easily.

I also like the new wide tooth comb I got from Sally's. I'm pretty sure its a Tool Structure volumizing/styling comb. It has long teeth so it gets through my dense hair. I previously used a Mason Pearson seamless comb, and while this comb has seams, so does my medium toothed Tool Structure comb I use to set my hair, and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

brownb83

for the last few sets I have used a dime sized amount of pressing creme on the last 4 inches of my hair and love it!

the one I'm using now is discontinued so I have to find another one. I also bought oil sheen y'all lol.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
for the last few sets I have used a dime sized amount of pressing creme on the last 4 inches of my hair and love it!

the one I'm using now is discontinued so I have to find another one. I also bought oil sheen y'all lol.

Thanks brownb83 I will be trying this.

toaster

I didn't realize that larger rollers means less head space until it was too late! I ended up using 22 rollers instead of 24, but I probably should have used 20.

That added to my rolling time because I had to maneuver around and figure out how to get the rollers anywhere near my scalp.

The metal pins were pretty easy to use and I definitely have more tension than I had before.

Question: For those interested in the Capelli Care rollers, are you getting the hourglass or the halo? I originally wanted the hourglass because I like the innovative shape, but can you use metal clips with them? It seems like the shape would prohibit that. Do the roller pins work as well as metal clips when it comes to keeping the hair close to the scalp? Since there are no snaps I want to make sure I get as much tension as I can. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

The website says you can use them with pins or clips, but I guess I don't see how that would work.

ETA: I watched a video on their channel and I think I was overestimating the angle of the hourglass rollers. The indent towards the middle isn't as harsh as it looks.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

It just occurred to me that I should roll the back of my head first. That way I can do the most difficult part when I'm the least tired and most patient. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I guess I'm slow. I'm going to try it when I set my hair the weekend after next.

I'm going to try and set twice in March since I'm going to miss February.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
It just occurred to me that I should roll the back of my head first. That way I can do the most difficult part when I'm the least tired and most patient. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I guess I'm slow. I'm going to try it when I set my hair the weekend after next.

I'm going to try and set twice in March since I'm going to miss February.

I start in the back first since it takes the longest time.

Blairx0

I didn't realize that larger rollers means less head space until it was too late! I ended up using 22 rollers instead of 24, but I probably should have used 20.

That added to my rolling time because I had to maneuver around and figure out how to get the rollers anywhere near my scalp.

The metal pins were pretty easy to use and I definitely have more tension than I had before.

Question: For those interested in the Capelli Care rollers, are you getting the hourglass or the halo? I originally wanted the hourglass because I like the innovative shape, but can you use metal clips with them? It seems like the shape would prohibit that. Do the roller pins work as well as metal clips when it comes to keeping the hair close to the scalp? Since there are no snaps I want to make sure I get as much tension as I can. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

The website says you can use them with pins or clips, but I guess I don't see how that would work.

ETA: I watched a video on their channel and I think I was overestimating the angle of the hourglass rollers. The indent towards the middle isn't as harsh as it looks.

I think rririla or Justgrowalready
Could answer

Last edited:

toaster

Thanks ladies!!

Here's the result of my set with 1.5 rollers and using metal clips. I really like how my roots feel!

image-955475065.jpg

image-668222391.jpg

image-2576895992.jpg

image-1802228466.jpg

image-2810022777.jpg

image-329001613.jpg

image-2346013268.jpg

Last edited:

rririla

I think rririla or Justgrowalready Could answer
I use the regular metal roller clips for my capelli rollers, and the tension is really good because the roller itself gives plenty of tension due to the little grips! I only use the straight pins for my french mesh rollers but I think with these regular roller clips would be better. I own the halo rollers though, not the hourglass so I am not sure if it makes a difference.

toaster Blairx0

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Trying to get my set to look like yours! Pretty sure it's never going to happen, but a girl can try.

Girl what?! I'm flattered, but I have NEVER came in here and saw a set that I wasn't drooling over...especially yours!!! We all are gonna be swanging our waist/hip length sets all over the place soon!!!!

NorthernCalGal

I didn't realize that larger rollers means less head space until it was too late! I ended up using 22 rollers instead of 24, but I probably should have used 20. That added to my rolling time because I had to maneuver around and figure out how to get the rollers anywhere near my scalp. The metal pins were pretty easy to use and I definitely have more tension than I had before. Question: For those interested in the Capelli Care rollers, are you getting the hourglass or the halo? I originally wanted the hourglass because I like the innovative shape, but can you use metal clips with them? It seems like the shape would prohibit that. Do the roller pins work as well as metal clips when it comes to keeping the hair close to the scalp? Since there are no snaps I want to make sure I get as much tension as I can. Maybe I'm overthinking this. The website says you can use them with pins or clips, but I guess I don't see how that would work. ETA: I watched a video on their channel and I think I was overestimating the angle of the hourglass rollers. The indent towards the middle isn't as harsh as it looks.

Why did I venture into this thread? Waiting to hear more about these Capelli rollers and then I'll be placing an order too. I'm a sucker for a discount code.

MayaNatural

Full inventory of hourglass rollers in stock now!

Thank you, Blairx0 :)

I can finally compare Capelli hourglass rollers to regular magnetic rollers. I'm a roller set newbie and originally tried the hourglass rollers with out end paper. :nono: I went to Sally's and bought snap magnetic rollers and set my hair doing the ponytail method.. My hair took forever to dry.. I then took off the covers and my hair still took forever to dry. I was over it at that point.. The next day I tried all over again and used Capelli hourglass rollers my hair was dry in 1 hour. I am very impressed and this time I used end papers lol. I'll stick with Capelli rollers in the future.

Edit: I forgot to add the pic of my ponytail method set. After I took out the ponytails, I put my hair in a bun.

Attachments

• image-4192538063.jpg
    image-4192538063.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

I have used metal clips with them. The ones that slide in...double pronged toaster. They worked just fine and were very stable.

BTW, your set came out really nice!

Last edited:

Mjon912

Well I washed yesterday but it got late and ended up blow drying and flat ironing... I'm so mad at myself! I KNOW my hair only looks the way I want after I wash and set but I still have these moments of stupidity/ lazyness! Im a poofy straight haired mess now =(... I guess i will be bunning until my next wash in a week and a half

Blairx0

Well I washed yesterday but it got late and ended up blow drying and flat ironing... I'm so mad at myself! I KNOW my hair only looks the way I want after I wash and set but I still have these moments of stupidity/ lazyness! Im a poofy straight haired mess now =(... I guess i will be bunning until my next wash in a week and a half

I am shocked blow drying and flat ironibg is faster for you! I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted but I am glad to hear you are back on the Rollerseting bandwagon. Lol! I'm sure your bun is cute

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thank you, Blairx0 :) I can finally compare Capelli hourglass rollers to regular magnetic rollers. I'm a roller set newbie and originally tried the hourglass rollers with out end paper. :nono: I went to Sally's and bought snap magnetic rollers and set my hair doing the ponytail method.. My hair took forever to dry.. I then took off the covers and my hair still took forever to dry. I was over it at that point.. The next day I tried all over again and used Capelli hourglass rollers my hair was dry in 1 hour. I am very impressed and this time I used end papers lol. I'll stick with Capelli rollers in the future. Edit: I forgot to add the pic of my ponytail method set. After I took out the ponytails, I put my hair in a bun.

Nice and shiny!