Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm getting ready to start my wash day and do my curlformer set. It's raining today and I have a dinner at 6. I'm not sure how my hair is going to hold up :ohwell: I would hate to be a poofy head at dinner.

Your hair doesn't hold moisture better with some kind of heat?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Blairx0

I'm getting ready to start my wash day and do my curlformer set. It's raining today and I have a dinner at 6. I'm not sure how my hair is going to hold up :ohwell: I would hate to be a poofy head at dinner.

Whay kind of hold product do you use?

MayaNatural

I just did my first roller set not including curl formers. I attempted many times but could never figure out the right positioning and would give up. I used Komaza Coconut Pudding and yellow hourglass rollers. I spritzed Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer before sitting under the dryer. I'll post a pic when my hair dries.. I'm hoping roller setting will stretch my natural hair better than curlformers.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm gonna condition overnight. I don't feel like setting tonight and I need the moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MayaNatural

Ok, here is my results. I need to practice more but overall I really like it. I asked my Mom to teach me her method, her roller sets are always perfect. Sorry the lighting in my house is terrible. I did a length check and I'm really close to BSL :yay: I only wish I had thicker hair.

Attachments

• image-3616912181.jpg
    image-3616912181.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 91

Blairx0

Your hair came out really nice MayaNatural.

How by rollers did you use? I have my eye on some hourglass rollers and wanted to know how many to purchase.

Also what was your dry time like? I know I know so many questions, but I am so curious!

Last edited:

Blairx0

Under the dryer with my weekly set.

Pictures to come! I wish I had time to set more than once a week, but alas I'm far too lazy

MayaNatural

Blairx0
Thank you!! You don't have a lot of questions. :) I bought 2 packs of yellow and 2 packs of aqua on BF. I think I used 16 rollers.. This was my first set so it wasn't uniformed maybe I could had used less. I have a LCL dryer and it took about 1 hr to dry but I only spritzed my hair lightly with water and applied Komaza coconut pudding. I like these rollers but my hair was getting caught on the spikes when I was removing the rollers. Maybe next time I'll use roller paper or different rollers.

NaturallyATLPCH

Blairx0
Thank you!! You don't have a lot of questions. :) I bought 2 packs of yellow and 2 packs of aqua on BF. I think I used 16 rollers.. This was my first set so it wasn't uniformed maybe I could had used less. I have a LCL dryer and it took about 1 hr to dry but I only spritzed my hair lightly with water and applied Komaza coconut pudding. I like these rollers but my hair was getting caught on the spikes when I was removing the rollers. Maybe next time I'll use roller paper or different rollers.

With those type of rollers, I'd definitely use end papers. :grin:

I was the roller set queen when I was relaxed, that was all I did to my hair. Never flat ironed it. I would roller set now but working out and sweating 5 days a week won't cut it.

I plan on maybe doing it on a special occasion or something.

MayaNatural

NaturallyATLPCH
End papers.. I couldn't think of the name lol!! I plan to bun my hair again but I need a method to really stretch my hair all the way down to the roots. My hair stays moisturized longer when it's stretched and buns are smoother. I'm glad to know you a pro. :yep: :) I have many questions. :grin:

NaturallyATLPCH

NaturallyATLPCH
End papers.. I couldn't think of the name lol!! I plan to bun my hair again but I need a method to really stretch my hair all the way down to the roots. My hair stays moisturized longer when it's stretched and buns are smoother. I'm glad to know you a pro. :yep: :) I have many questions. :grin:

MayaNatural, Hey, I will try to answer! I didn't think about that. I should do that to stretch mine out, I probably have a bun lol...I am just always handling it in it's shrunken state. I think I will buy me some large magnetic rollers and stretch my hair into a bun as well. Thanks for the idea.

And your set came out nice! Don't make me go and order some. Komaza Coconut pudding lol...

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I like the white hourglass rollers Blairx0. They added more tension to the hair as I rolled it. Took about an hour to dry under my LCL.

toaster

Once a week seems like a lot to me. I struggle to set once a month.

I set twice a week and it's about 7 hours of my time per week. It seems like a lot on wash days but compared to my cowashing and wet bunning every day/ every other day and having to be wet for hoursssss it's a pretty good trade off for me.

Plus my buns look better. It's so early for me to see if roller setting is going to hinder my retention (I don't think it will) but smoother buns are worth it for me.

MayaNatural

NaturallyATLPCH
Thank you!! I'm still learning. Komaza coconut pudding is really winning for me. I use it as a styler for everything braid outs, twist outs, wash and go, sleek down my hair for buns and setting product. It makes my hair soft with out a crunchy hold. :yep: I have to stretch my hair also or I wouldn't have a bun. :nono:

MayaNatural

Does anyone wrap a scarf around their hair while under the dryer? I want to roller set weekly but don't want to cause damage.

TIA

GettingKinky

GettingKinky what's your wash day routine then? Do you only air dry?

Lurkee - I just air dry and then bun. Sometimes if I'm not too lazy I will do a braid out. Rollersetting takes me at least 40 minutes to set and 2 hours to dry so that's a lot of additional time. There's no way I can do that on a weeknight and weekend time is precious.