Satin scarf pulling out edges

Growingmyhairlong

Hello Everyone,

I have been noticing that wrapping my hair up at night with my scarf is pulling out my edges. I remember seeing a video of someone that refused to wrap her hair at night because her edges were coming out as well. I am thinking of wearing bonnets only. My problem is that bonnets (and my satin pillow case) are great for protecting my hair but they don't hold a style in place. I mainly wear braid outs. When I wear my braid outs I like to either do a cute up do our wear it down. Anyway, can anyone give me some advice on how to keep my hair flat around the edges and top without waking up to that puffy bedhead look.

Growingmyhairlong

I think its more wrapping my hair at night. I wrap it tight and loose and and no matter what I feel a small burning on my temples. When I look I see white bulbs at the side of my temple. My mother had the same problem but she never figured out what to do. She continues to wrap her hair but she uses a cotton scarf.

Renewed1

I had the same problem. I bought some satin material from JoAnn's Fabric and wrap my pillow at night. But I also put castor oil on the perimeter of my hairline before going to bed.

It has helped alot.

ilong

God's Own
ITA with Lilmama1011 - protect the edges with some type of oil (preferably one that is known to be good for the hair i.e. castor, coconut, grapeseed, olive, etc.) I know vaseline has been used for this purpose but I believe oils are better.
As oppose to a pulling sensation (opposite force), you are probably experiencing friction (rubbing force) which is leading to the hair loss. The oil serves as protection against the two solid surfaces (scarf and hair) rubbing together. They will slide off each other and avoid the friction.

summertimewine

*sips tea*
I remember a member who had the same problem. Instead of wrapping her edges at night she would sleep in a satin bonnet and in the morning wake up 20 minutes earlier. She would wet her edges with water, then oil her edges, then wrap it in the morning while she did her makeup etc. Her edges were flat just like when she slept with the scarf! HTH