NOT covering your hair at night.

Undefeated Queen

I stopped using a bonnet or scarf at night and my hair is holding up much better. I clip the sides of my hair back and sleep on a satin pillow case. When I wear a bonnet my hairstyle gets flat and my hairline and edges hate scarfs. My hair is also growing more evenly since I stopped wrapping it or wearing rollers to bed.

What is your nightly regimene? What works best for you? Thanks ladies. :)

cocowhite

I have to wrap my hair at night or when I wake up it feels and look like the life was sucked out of my hair. My BF doesn't but hey it's bedtime and I am on mission.

Undefeated Queen

cocowhite said:
I have to wrap my hair at night or when I wake up it feels and look like the life was sucked out of my hair. My BF doesn't but hey it's bedtime and I am on mission.

Do you wrap your hair in the same direction or do you alternate? My edges were breaking off when I wrapped my hair. It falls so nicely but I have to keep my edges.

VelvetRain

I have to wear some sort of silk scarf on my head. It helps to contain my hair and keep it smooth. If I didn't my hair would be a jacked up mess the next morning.

toinette

Tricking the president
i hardly ever wrap either. i put my hair up in a high ponytail and i use a satin pillow case.

shellzfoshizzle

i have to use a satin cap or scarf at night or else it just wouldn't be right. i can't imagine sleeping with my hair out all on the pillow and sheets. my main thing is a scarf to keep my edges and newgrowth smooth. im starting to think that i should invest in a satin pillowcase because for some reason my edges and nape is soo freeking slow to grow.

i noticed that sleeping with some sort of protective covering on my hair cuts down on pimples...you know products and oils from your hair get on pillow cases and sheets...then you got a pimple...ya know. that's another reason why i cover my hair at night.

Undefeated Queen

shellzfoshizzle said:
i have to use a satin cap or scarf at night or else it just wouldn't be right. i can't imagine sleeping with my hair out all on the pillow and sheets. my main thing is a scarf to keep my edges and newgrowth smooth. im starting to think that i should invest in a satin pillowcase because for some reason my edges and nape is soo freeking slow to grow.

i noticed that sleeping with some sort of protective covering on my hair cuts down on pimples...you know products and oils from your hair get on pillow cases and sheets...then you got a pimple...ya know. that's another reason why i cover my hair at night.

So far I'm okay. My skin is pretty smooth.

Crystalicequeen123

I sleep with a loose scarf or bonnet at night, but I don't wrap my hair anymore. I found that wrapping my hair EVERY night caused my edges to thin. I'm still trying to recover them. :nono:

I oil my scalp, moisturize, and bun my hair up, pin curl, or leave my hair loose while covering it in a scarf. It seems to work for me!

When I was younger, I was really bad about wearing a scarf to bed. I don't know what I was thinking. I NEVER wore a scarf to bed. lol* Now that I do however, my hair is less tangled, and I think my hair is more moisturized because of it.

Undefeated Queen

I comb the sides back and uses small silver clips to hold my hair in place. For some strange reason my hair grows the fastest when I leave it loose at night. I did this faithfully when I was 17-18 and my hair grow from a short hair cut to a few inches from sholder length in less than a year. :ohwell:

carolina_belle

I put on a satin bonnet, but I don't wrap. Wrapping caused my sides to thin. I just pull it back and tuck under the ends with my hands then put on the bonnet.

leleepop

When I wear rollersets my hair lasts longer when I just sleep on the satin pillowcase also. I just moisturize and seal about thirty minutes before bed.

Synthia

I tried doing this out of vanity.

I bought some all silk pillowcases, but I had these problems: yes, oils from my hair got on the cases, giving me facial breakouts, I tossed and turned, pulling my loose hair, I pulled my cotton sheets and comforter up to my chin, causing them to rub against and steal moisture from my tresses.

I'm still convinced there's a way I can do this right. I guess I'll have to get silk sheets too, don't pull the comforter up too high, and lie flat on my back all night and don't move. I really like not looking like Aunt Jemina when I go to bed....but it's so difficult.

Clair Huxtable never had this problem. All her bedroom scenes had great bed hair. :lol:

Isis

Synthia said:

I bought some all silk pillowcases, but I had these problems: yes, oils from my hair got on the cases, giving me facial breakouts, I tossed and turned, pulling my loose hair, I pulled my cotton sheets and comforter up to my chin, causing them to rub against and steal moisture from my tresses.

I'm still convinced there's a way I can do this right. I guess I'll have to get silk sheets too, don't pull the comforter up too high, and lie flat on my back all night and don't move. I really like not looking like Aunt Jemina when I go to bed....but it's so difficult.

Clair Huxtable never had this problem. All her bedroom scenes had great bed hair. :lol:
I sleep on silk pillowcases and wear a silk or satin scarf, usually with a silk bonnet over it. No oils on the cases and my hair stays moisturized. This can be an alternative. :)

rosalindb

I wear a satin scarf and sleep on a satin pillowcase as sometimes the scarf comes off.

If I apply shea butter or coconut oil as a overnight deep conditioning treatment, then I will sleep with a satin bonnett.

camellia

I never cover my hair at night. I just use satin or silk pillowcases. Sometimes I put a little Humectress and butter in my hair before bed but lately I've been slacking.

Arcadian

I'm trying to alternate between wearing a headwrap and not. My hair does get a little messy when I don't wear my headwrap but I don't notice any extra dryness.

I'll continue to alternate to give my head a break every now and then.

-A

baglady215

I wear a scarf, but if I lay down at 11 I swear that thing gets up and walks across the room at 11:30. :lol: So that made me buy satin pillowcases. Now sometimes I'll wear a scarf, sometimes I don't even bother.

Cichelle

I usually put my hair up (pineapple) and just use a satin pillow case. Bonnets and scarves were either falling off or bothering me.

Doremie13

I sleep with a satin pillowcase and take it with me when I travel. I've been wearing my hair in a satin scarf since I've been stretching because it helps keep the newgrowth down.

blackbarbie

Even if I am going to shampoo my hair the next day, I still have to put something (usually a bonnet) on my head at night or else it is a hot, tangled mess the next morning.

But I can say that I have experienced first hand the breakage from wrapping and once I pinpointed it, I came up with a solution! Most of the breakage comes from tying the scarf too tight and leaving some of the hair out of the sides and having it snap off right there. Well, after I wrap it, I use one of the little black net things they use at the salon (some are made of satin and some are little nets, but they have a velcro closure on them; about 2 inches wide) to go right around my edges to make sure no hair is peeking from under the satin scarf when I put it on. THEN I put the satin scarf on.

That way, nothing has a chance to be "snapped" anywhere! Since I have been stretching, I use sylver's scarf method and just bun it up the next day anyway, but during the few weeks right after my relaxer, I usually do 2 big pin curls, NTM Silk, and put a satin scarf on. Otherwise, hair is as dry as a bone!

Undefeated Queen

Synthia said:

:lol:

I do sleep on silk or satin sheets and I sleep on my side. I can stay in one position the whole night.

Undefeated Queen

blackbarbie said:
Even if I am going to shampoo my hair the next day, I still have to put something (usually a bonnet) on my head at night or else it is a hot, tangled mess the next morning.

But I can say that I have experienced first hand the breakage from wrapping and once I pinpointed it, I came up with a solution! Most of the breakage comes from tying the scarf too tight and leaving some of the hair out of the sides and having it snap off right there. Well, after I wrap it, I use one of the little black net things they use at the salon (some are made of satin and some are little nets, but they have a velcro closure on them; about 2 inches wide) to go right around my edges to make sure no hair is peeking from under the satin scarf when I put it on. THEN I put the satin scarf on.

That way, nothing has a chance to be "snapped" anywhere! Since I have been stretching, I use sylver's scarf method and just bun it up the next day anyway, but during the few weeks right after my relaxer, I usually do 2 big pin curls, NTM Silk, and put a satin scarf on. Otherwise, hair is as dry as a bone!

Your hair is beautiful! I love the color.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I learned years ago that I must cover my hair at night. I sleep on a satin pillow case but I always cover my hair when I lay down even if I am just dozing on the couch. I have plenty of scarves around (even one in the car and in my purse).

PinkPeony

michelle3147 said:
I have to wear some sort of silk scarf on my head. It helps to contain my hair and keep it smooth. If I didn't my hair would be a jacked up mess the next morning.
same here,if I don`t bun my hair and wear a bonnet every night it looks like a hot mess!:ohwell:

*ElleB

shellzfoshizzle said:

I need a satin pillow case....I sleep with a silky scarf nightly, but it comes off and/or slips up. And when my edges rub against the cotton pillow....UGHHH, its all over. It's dry and hair and just urggh....When I don't feel like wrapping I just lay the scarf over the pillow and go to sleep and that works fine. Thats y I'm going to get satin pillowcase and use scarfs and bonnnets only when I want to preserve the style.