Why are my edges thinning?

T

Tee

I've noticed that my edges are looking thinner. There's only one thing different I've been doing the last several months, wrapping my hair at night and wrapping it tightly with a scarf. Could it be caused by my wrapping the scarf too tightly? I always have a scarf and/or hat on whenever I'm not at work or going out. Is it the scarf, the hat, or both that is causing the thinning edges? Or is it wrapping my hair so frequently? Help!

pebbles

Hi Tee,

Maybe it's the scarf that you're wrapping too tightly? The friction can thin out your edges. /images/graemlins/look.gif

elliot

You may be wrapping your hair too tightly. I have wrapped my hair for years and have never experienced thinning. However, sometimes when I wrap too tightly I wake up in the middle of the night with a headache.

You should check in the recipe section for an oil concoction to rub on your edges nightly. (I am a strong advocate of rosemary oil and jojoba oil. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif) Anyway, I am sure they will grow back quickly once you give them a little TLC.

I know I am sounding like your mom now, but don't forget to take your vitamins and have a healthy diet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kitkat

Tee, as you're trying to figure out why your edges are thinning, why not use something specifically for thinning areas of the hair? There have been recent threads on Nioxin Follicle Booster and ORS Temple Balm. You might find one of these items helpful.

Tara

Also what material is the scarf you are using? I remember my edges were getting really bad also about a year ago, and I was using a satin scarf!!

Turns out that the "satin" scarf that I bought at Sally's is actually just a polyester/lycra blend and as I examined it closer the "spaces" were wide which of course did exactly as cotton does......allowed my hair to get caught in the fabric and cause breakage.

If you can run to the fabric store, try to go there and that way you can be sure you picked up real silk or satin to tie your hair with.

T

Tee

Good idea, Kitkat. I've actually been using the Nioxin Follicle Booster on my right temple with good results. I just didn't notice the thinning on my edges until I had my roots blown out. I'll start using the Nioxin on my edges too.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tara said:
Also what material is the scarf you are using? I remember my edges were getting really bad also about a year ago, and I was using a satin scarf!!

Turns out that the "satin" scarf that I bought at Sally's is actually just a polyester/lycra blend and as I examined it closer the "spaces" were wide which of course did exactly as cotton does......allowed my hair to get caught in the fabric and cause breakage.

If you can run to the fabric store, try to go there and that way you can be sure you picked up real silk or satin to tie your hair with.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what I do. I buy 100% silk and 'real' satin.
I also make my own scrunchies from silk I buy from the fabric store...that way I know for sure they are real thing. Also when I wrap I do not wrap tight and I also tie mine 'below' the hair line...not on it.

T

Tee

I've been wearing a silk scarf. I did wrap it pretty tightly, so I'll drop that habit and hope things turn around. Thanks!

T

Tee

Sweetcocoa, how do you tie the scarf below your hairline? Do you tie it on your forehead? I was tying my scarf in the front (after wrapping it twice around my head), but I've switched to the back. I think I might switch to a bonnet for awhile.