Rollerset then did a messed up saran wrap on natural 4a hair. Now what? Pics!

PhonyBaloney500

I tried a roller set again on my natural 4a hair.

I use the purple magnetic snap-on rollers, Giovanni leave-in, ORS Olive Oil Wrap and Set Mouse, and Fantastia Straightening Serum as a heat protectant.

First it looked like this. Kinda cute. Not as Shirley Temple as before.

Stretched...

There were DEFINITELY a lot of crinkly roots due do the rollers not being tight enough but overall not too bad...

THEN the problems started.

I decided to saran wrap it. I didn't really know what look I was going for but just wanted something a bit stretched out. I didn't blow dry the roots first because the other time I tried that.... :nono:

I looked at some tutorials online. I didn't put anything else in it, forgot to add hair spray. Oh did I mention I'm bad at wrapping? I brushed it out a bit while wrapping with my boar bristle brush. I had to do it a second time because it was all wrapped wrong.

I sat under the dryer for 15-20 minutes on low.

I took out the saran wrap and got...

Dag! It looked better before!

OK so now what do I do with it? How should I sleep on it later on tonight? Try to pincurl? Put in rollers? Wrap it again?

happylife

If I were in your shoes, I would stop manipulating it for now. I put some oil on the lengths and my ends and pin /bun it up in a cute.
style.

My hair has the same end result you got if it is not totally dry.

MsSonya

Sorry, no advice. Just wanted to say that IA! If I did a "bad" rollerset like that I would be happy. :yep:

NikkiGirl

I would probaly just put it up in a cute updo. I thought the set was so pretty without doing the wrap.

pookaloo83

If you wrapped it correctly, I think your hair would have been straight and not curly. Idk, but that's what I think. I would just do a messy bun. I like it curly! I think over time the curls would have fell. :yep:

KatKronicles

It looked great to begin with. Im old fashioned I like for my curls to drop on thier own.
I cant wait til I have enough hair to do this with.
Practise makes perfect, but for me, My hair plus saran wrap equals revert. I am natural, but even if I were relaxed it would still spell disaster.

PhonyBaloney500

Thanks y'all! Sigh! I will try it again soon and LEAVE IT ALONE!

How do you suggest I sleep on it when it's in rollerset? Just pin it up or pin curl or?

chasturner84

I'm confused as to what you were going for. Based on the set (it looked like a rod set), I would have not tried to wrap it. You should try the larger magnetic rollers (gray ones or something) if you are doing a body wrap/doobie.

With what your'e working with now, I'd put a light coating of oil and pin it up for a messy updo or pull i back for a messy pony.

PhonyBaloney500

I'm confused as to what you were going for. Based on the set (it looked like a rod set), I would have not tried to wrap it. You should try the larger magnetic rollers (gray ones or something) if you are doing a body wrap/doobie.

With what your'e working with now, I'd put a light coating of oil and pin it up for a messy updo or pull i back for a messy pony.

Those were magnetic rollers. :look: The purple ones (a bit smaller than the grey...which could be part of the problem as my hair may be too long for them?). They looked weird huh?

Last edited:

LivingDol1

I wish we saw a photo of your hair wrapped b/c that would explain the end result... at least I think it would. I would assume your wrap wasn't tight enough.

I agree with some of the others. let it be and wear a cute messy updo.

Keen

It looks like your hair reverted. Maybe moisture got it in during the Saran wrap process. You can see if you can make sure that does not happen next time.

CarolinaGal

OP, ITA that a nice updo would work for now. Saran wrapping does not work on my hair at all. I always get the same results as you. So, I stopped trying the saran wrap. I usually do a few pin curls or bantu knots to help keep the rollerset. Good luck!

KBA

When wrapping with Saran, you have to be sure the wrap is pretty smooth before putting on the saran wrap. Otherwise, you'll end up with a crinkly situation. I also usually put another net wrap around the saran and a stocking cap to really smooth the hair down.

Your roller set was really nice, I think its just in your wrapping technique. Also try larger rollers for your hair length, you don't want curl, just pull taut with the next roller size up.

At this point, I'd moisturize and wrap it before going to bed. It may smooth out a bit, or just pincurl it to preserve the cur.
:)

PhonyBaloney500

^^Thanks! I really hate pinning rollers (I don't have great hand coordination) so I prefer the snap-on ones. The biggest I've seen are the purple ones...maybe I'll check online and see...or maybe even try mesh.

Lesson learned--wrapping is not for me. I can't wrap well anyway and the results are a hot mess.

Here's day 2. :-/

LadyPaniolo

It looke cute in the first pic... if you would have left it alone the curls would have dropped in a day or two. I agree that the wrapping didn't go so well... :ohwell: I am a total loser when it comes to styling, so I don't even really bother anymore... :cry3:

aquajoyice

I tried rollersetting and saran wrapping about a month ago. And wasn't totally happy with the results but made it work. I didn't want to manipulate it anymore since it already felt like too much. So I slicked it back put it in a bun and wrapped. By the time i unwraped the next morning it was a lot better. Just make sure you moisturize your ends before wrapping to give your hair a little R&R. Then the next day maybe you can do a pin curl if you feel the need to. But aside from that I thought it looked great, a lot like a braid out. I would rock my hair out like that!