Retaining length?..great advice for ends?

BSweet

i get a good amount of new growth..but my ends are a different story..my length is pretty good..but for the growth i get it should be longer...i trim every time i get a relaxer which is every 2 months...and i trim b/c after 2 months my hair always looks like IT NEEDS IT...so any advice on my ends?

moisture, moisture, moisture. keep them protected and try to use as little heat as possible. i notice a huge difference in my hair when i use heat (not good :look: )

I'd say dust instead of trim. It might take you a few weeks of 20 minutes/day, but eventually you'll get most of 'em w/o sacrificing length.

BSweet said:
well i use moisture and seal it in every day...and dusting could be an option..thanks

have you ever tried the baggie method? it is the best thing since sliced bread for my hair.

search under 'baggie method.' and you'll find lots of info on it.

I second the baggie method, kudos to whoever came up with this method. :up:
Also limiting the amount of heat use you can also help.

SweetCaramel1 said:
moisture, moisture, moisture. keep them protected and try to use as little heat as possible. i notice a huge difference in my hair when i use heat (not good :look: )
ITA. When I use heat frequently my ends split. Reducing heat and using a moisturizer sealed w/ castor oil is really keeping my ends from splitting.

the baggie method did not do anything for my hair and i dont go near heat unless im under the dryer for my weekly wash

I am finding that the less I comb through my hair, the better it is for me to retain length. The clip-ins prevent me from combing my hair so often.

Pokahontas said:
ITA. When I use heat frequently my ends split. Reducing heat and using a moisturizer sealed w/ castor oil is really keeping my ends from splitting.
Using castor oil on my ends have helped tremendously.

I would also say use the baggie method. Everynite I put my hair in a ponytail and put NTM leave in creme, profective healthy ends or mango butter on the entire ponytail then I put a baggie on the ponytail and cover my hair with a satin scarf and then a satin cap and in the morning when I wake up. I take the baggie off my pony tail and let it dry after 30 or 40 minutes it is dry and the ends are moisturized and then I use my caruso rollers and my hair is so soft and moisturized after I set my hair and take the rollers out I spray dew moisturizer on my hair especially the ends and then I am off. I use to have mad probs with my ends they are in order now.

tsmith said:
I would also say use the baggie method. Everynite I put my hair in a ponytail and put NTM leave in creme, profective healthy ends or mango butter on the entire ponytail then I put a baggie on the ponytail and cover my hair with a satin scarf and then a satin cap and in the morning when I wake up. I take the baggie off my pony tail and let it dry after 30 or 40 minutes it is dry and the ends are moisturized and then I use my caruso rollers and my hair is so soft and moisturized after I set my hair and take the rollers out I spray dew moisturizer on my hair especially the ends and then I am off. I use to have mad probs with my ends they are in order now.

I agree with this.

Maybe you were using the baggie wrong or using too much or not enough moisturizer. I just can't see this not working for anyone.

Is your hair fine? Mine is, and the baggie did not work for me either. I moisturize with ORS Olive oil, and seal with carrot or castor oil. In my opinion, the carrot oil worked wonders. Also, I don't do it every nite, maybe three days after I rollerset, and then every other nite until I wash again.

Good tips are:
  • no heat
  • no chemicals
  • no combs or brushes
  • protective hair styling
  • moisturize ends daily

Of course all of the no's can be done, but with caution and rarely.

I wonder what your regimen is. Do you sleep with a satin bonnett? Do you use heat regularly, are you wearing your hair down a lot? are you drinking water? We want to know everything so we can prevent this problem.

SweetCaramel1 said:
This worked for me.

I don't have problems with my ends. That could be because I don't use heat and I wear my hair up in a bun a lot. I wasn't fond of the baggie method for me...it kept my ends moist but I just didn't like all the work involved. I dust my ends monthly and keep them oiled with a mix of WGHO and Proclaim 7 Herbal Oil. I also shampoo and condition my hair once a week with Nexxus and Aubrey's GPB.

sareca said:
I'd say dust instead of trim. It might take you a few weeks of 20 minutes/day, but eventually you'll get most of 'em w/o sacrificing length.

your damn right! after 3 months of no trimming i've spent the whole week chopping out splits, every 2 days i spend 30 mins. its great because as the days go by u see less and less splits until u really cant see ONE. i'm glad i can stop now, its tiring but soooooooooooooooooooo very worth it.

lay off the heat

airdry with a good leave in, oil moisturizer and then a grease when dry

two strand twists are great and v. cute, pin them up.

hope that helps!

Back