Naturals(4a/4b)...How to get healthy ends

NIK

What do you do to get healthy ends? Mine feel brittle and when I straighten my hair, my ends do not look smooth

I do dust and sometime trim my ends but since I'm trying to grow it long, I try not to do that too often (trim - every 4-6 months, dust - every 1-3 months)

Thanks!

delitefulmane

Have you tried bagging your ends when your hair is NOT straight? I tried it a few days ago and my ends feel really soft afterwards!

NIK

Thanks ladies for your responses.

I do not really use heat on my hair. If I straighten my hair I usually do a rollerset.

Most of the time, my hair is in a bun. And sometimes I baggy under a faux pony. But when my hair is straight, my ends aren't really smooth and looked "chewed up".

I wonder if it's because of my wet buns.

Muffinz05

I do not really use heat on my hair. If I straighten my hair I usually do a rollerset.

Most of the time, my hair is in a bun. And sometimes I baggy under a faux pony. But when my hair is straight, my ends aren't really smooth and looked "chewed up".

What products do you use on your ends?

AtlantaJJ

Subscribing for good tips. I just started using coconut oil on my ends, it really helps to keep them moist.

GabbanaGirl

I just started using an extra virgin coconut oil infused w/nettle, and horsetail - I also added a smidgen of Amla extract, and a bit of Jojoba. I am telling you, I have DEFINITELY noticed a difference with how my ends look. HTH:yep:

flower

I just started using an extra virgin coconut oil infused w/nettle, and horsetail - I also added a smidgen of Amla extract, and a bit of Jojoba. I am telling you, I have DEFINITELY noticed a difference with how my ends look. HTH:yep:

your hair looks nice.

lwilliams1922

This is a great topic.

My ends seam to do ok with me sealing (castor oil, coconut oil sometimes shea butter or mango buttter and I plan to try vaseline.

I have wondered lately if my sock bun causes any problems. i've noticed that when I bun the last inch or so that gets tucked under looks less happy than the rest.

ajoyfuljoy

I am 4a transitioning. I used coconut oil on my hair last weekend (wash day). I haven't put anything on my hair all week and it is still soft and such (and not all drawn up) from the coconut oil. That stuff really is the truth. I will definitely be using it every week.

Try it. You will like it!

ShaniKeys

Moisturize twice a day (focusing on the ends) with a water-based moisturizer and seal with a natural oil, this helps.

FindingMe

i am a 4a transitioning with stressed, relaxed ends, but pure shea butter is working wonders for my ends....

Dearlove

Depending on the tightness of your coil, a roller set may not fully straighten your ends. Heat (the chase method) may be necessary to smooth them out. You sound as if your trim consistently, which is good. Try a deep condish with steam and the sealing. You will see a difference. HHG

brownsugarflyygirl

I would suggest doing a protein treatment. If you are doing mostly protective styles and baggying, your ends can get a bit weak from all the moisture. After being natural for two years and NEVER using a hard protein, I decided to do an Apoghee treatment...WOW...it made a HUGE difference in the way my ends felt.

I think over time the manipulations strips down the hair shaft just like a relaxer would so by using a hard protein it fortifies the cuticle and strengthens the hair. I would try it. Not to say you would need to do it frequently, but every once in a blue moon definitely helps.

NIK

Thank you ladies for all your replies and suggestions!

I did a protein treatment today and steam my hair. Then I'm going to baggy it...I hope that helps my ends.

Has anyone noticed breakage by doing baggy buns for an extend amount of time?

Minty

I have this problem too. I straightened my hair but the ends are not smooth at all. I trimmed and straightened again the next week with my flat iron, still the same thing.

But I just started using Black Castor Oil (LondonDiva-girl thank you,thank you, thank you!) I haven't straightened again yet, but when I twist, I don't have to smooth my hair so much as I did with my Coconut butter mix.

I have a mix of 3c-4b hair and the Black Castor Oil has been the only thing I've used for the past couple of days (besides a little Emu Oil in the mornings). My hair is very smooth.

Faith

You may have to use the rattail comb to get the ends smooth around the rollers. I actually tried rollersetting my natural hair again and it turned out very well. I think the only thing missing was using a rattail comb to make sure the ends are on the roller properly.

ETA: I don't think the wet buns help...That just invites the strands to curl around each other imo.

Mimi22

I have this same problem! When my stylist staightens it, the ends are amazingly smooth :grin:
But me? Heh...its brittle and dry and screams like a desert! I've tried baggying...no luck...and as for moisturizing? heh, it's what I do all day e'eryday baby....lol...:lachen:

I've ordered some shea butter, I hope it helps cuz everything is fine when natural, but when straightened? It feels like I have the most unhealthiest ends in the world :cry2:

justNikki

Try to limit your use of heat and start using coconut oil to seal your ends.

AMEN! I tried to advise my sister to do this but she won't listen. With all of the heat she's using and the blonde used to lighten her hair that's already dry, she's setting herself up for disaster.