frequent dusting of ends may help to acquire healthy length quicker...

BAILEYSCREAM

I totally agree with the article. I trim and dust myself. If I leave the hair untrimmed and undusted for long periods (months) then the ends get all frayed looking and the ends tend to tangle around each other and the hair is generally hard to manage. I think this is especially the case once I've taken my hair out of braids. :yep:

Faith

Yep since I started dusting and doing the baggy method I have been able to keep most of my length. I only get 1" every 3 months so every little bit counts.

so1913

I actually did my first dusting today. I think I will continue doing this every 2 months, my hair looked a lot better today, curled up more with the clean ends.

Daisy'sHair

As a child I remembr my mom and granmother only dusting our hair as we as their hair when the seasons changed which is maybe every four months. They still maintained health hair and grew great length.

This method of trimming is part of my regimen, every four months I give myself a dusting, and my hairreally grows out good. I did a dusting in January so by April it will be time for another dusting. :)

Amarech

This is good because i was doing it anyway!!!
My hair is too damaged to wait the regular 8 weeks? or is it 12?
anyhow, I dust when i feel the need to.

tryn2growmyhair

What advice do you all have for dustings?

I just bought my first pair of hair scissors from the BSS. They were about $5.99 plus tax and had gold plated handles. Do you think the scissors that you use has an effect on your hair growth? I am ashamed to admit that I was using paper scissors to cut a knot here or there, so I am happy that I now have hair scissors but they were on the cheap side. I know that more expensive stuff matters with other hair items, so I was wondering about this.

Is it ok for me to dust my hair after a rollerset airdry or should I use heat on my hair to dust it?

Also, how do you dust your hair?

TIA.

Jewell

I don't think I will do the frequent dustings, although I do agree with the article. It is healthier for the hair to be rid of split/dry ends, but I had been on a trimming spree for the past 1.5 years, where I was trimming nearly every 8 weeks. I really want to save my length (which is currently healthy and split-end free) and get to my goal. My last dusting was in Jan 05. I won't dust or cut anymore until July, my next touch-up.

I will, however, seek out individual hairs that are split and cut them. My ends are in good shape, and are maintaining their blunt cut well since I have been doing daily CO washes, and keeping my hair in a simple pin up during the day and at night. I will dust no more than 1/2" in July, since that is a long stretch. Thanks Sherrylove for the tips! Love that Hair! :p

Softresses

I do this, and never have splits. I finished trimming out layers recently and am going back to dustings. This really helps keep hair length thick and even.

Softresses

mzcris

This was very interesting to me...I normally trim my ends every 12
weeks...but I may start dusting my ends every 8 weeks now...:yep:

Healthb4Length

Yup, I'm going to go back to this method. I haven't trimmed in a long time and I'm paying for it. My ends are JACKED!! Ain't no baggying in the world can save my ends now, I just have to get a major trim and call it a day!:perplexed

blazingthru

This is something I will start doing. I can do my own hair I just need help with the back. I have to see if I can find some to do the dusting. My hair is an desparate need of a trim. Haven't had one since March.

hothair

Timely. ITA dusting really helps me retain length. I dust at every relaxer so about 4 times a year.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i totally agree with this article. i tried the "no trim", "no dust" method and my hiar suffered for it. i ended up having to trim alot of hair to get rid of my scraggly ends.

i do much better with a good trim...and then frequent dustings to keep up with the maintenance of my hair.

i dust every 4-6 weeks. and trim once a year or less.

i think some heads can go longer because their hair is more resiliant. my hair is fine and needs to be dusted more often to avoid ultimate breakage.

sunnieb

Great bump!

I tried the "no trimming" method and my hair suffered.

Now, I trim with every relaxer. I think I'll start dusting at 7 weeks post to keep my ends in check.

Sent from my Comet

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This has always worked for me. It's one of my top 3 important things for retaining length.....actually number 1. I can't do the no trim thing, my hair doesn't retain that way.

Lissa0821

I have to agree that I have noticed that I retain better with regular dusting and small trims every six to eight weeks instead of going months at a time not trimming at all.