frequent dusting of ends may help to acquire healthy length quicker...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I agree also! I am glad you posted this because I was up in the air about doing more frequent trims. This article has helped me finalize my decision. I will more than likely dust about every 8-12 weeks.

Thanks!!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
No heat here

[ QUOTE ]
How would you perform dusting on curly hair? would it need to be straigtened to perform dusting successfully?

[/ QUOTE ]
I will have a stylist friend dust mine without straightening since I am not worried about unevenness.

mytia

SuperWoman!
Re: frequent dusting of ends may help to acquire healthy length quicke

This makes good sense to me, I'm going to try it.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses

I did a "spot dusting" on my hair while it was wet last August. Just snipped a few ends that looked fuzzier than they ought too. It's really hard for me to trim such a small amount of hair off though. Meaning I don't have the skill & end up trimming of an inch at a time. I might have to stick to my regular trimming method of every 4 months.

lovechic

THIS IS A VERY GOOD TOPIC. I BELIEVE IN TRIMS, BUT I DO DUST MY ENDS TOO!

DragonPearl

[ QUOTE ]
This makes good sense to me, I'm going to try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Me too.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
[ QUOTE ]

The debate continues on whether trimming often is best while growing out your hair. Sometimes trimming too often can lead to frustration because of lack of growth. On the other hand, trimming too infrequently can lead to splits and breakage which can also lead to lack of overall growth, an unhealthy hemline appearance, and leave you wearing your hair up more often simply because you don't like the way your hair looks down anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two questions I'm curious about:

1. The article states that there is a debate about how often to trim hair, to promote hair growth. We already know that supplements and hair products affect different people differently on the scalp. Doesn't it follow that we have to determine how often to trim for ourselves, just as we determine which products work for ourselves? My "dusting schedule" may be too frequent for the girl next to me, and vice-versa.

2. Is there a quick, easy method to dust natural 4a hair? Can the ends be exposed without straightening?

bellydancer

i agree with this too. I think it would be beneficial to trim less more often. It has to be a tiny little bit though because I trim off a half an inch every 6 months. I would like to be able to wear my hair out more often instead of being a slave to protective styles (although I do like protective styles)

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see pictures of Equestrian's hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't supposed to link to other other hair boards. /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

But go to longhairloom dot com, click on "the library" and then "articles". Look for the "how do I oil my hair?" article. Scroll down to see her pic.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just checked my archives...yes, I am one of those who have frequented these boards over the years LOL talk about obsession /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
But back in 1999 I remember a discussion with the very wise long hair guru Jade21 /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif about trimming.

Her advice then was:
Until hair reaches shoulder length - trim every 4-6 weeks.
Until hair reaches mid back - trim every 6-8 weeks.
Until hair reaches waist length and beyond - trim every 8-10 weeks.

Of course she might have changed her opinion on this during the 5 years that has passed since then /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I just wanted to share.

I'm pretty sure she meant dusting, not a full out trim.

SherryLove

here is a pic of equestrian's hair....

Honi

There is no board.
Makes perfect sense to me! I don't dust that often like the article said but I will try to remember to do it on a regular schedule now.

syze6

I get my hair trimmed every other relaxer. I relax every 8 weeks. I seal my ends with vaseline and some type of oil. I get little to none split ends. My hair seems to grow fine. My hair is actually at the bottom of my bra strap. I don't wear it down often. I wear a bun and I air dry 95% of the time. Actually, the only time I blowdry is the night before I 'm schedule to get a trim. After reading the article I'm wondering if I should trim more often. My stylist always tell me that I barely had split ends. I don't know.

Chichi

Thanks for the article Sherry. I will try this technique instead of spacing out my trims.

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

adrienne0914

thanks sherry! the article was very thought provoking! /images/graemlins/smile.gif i can see how it makes sense for some. however, i still believe that cutting (trimming, dusting, whatever...) "because it's time" or for the sake of doing so is a waste when you're trying to grow your hair. looking at her pics, it appears that equestrian is doing this to maintain her healthy length. i can't see dusting all the time until you actually get to your goal length. i'm almost at mine and still wouldn't do this.

my hair doesn't grow as fast as most people's, maybe ¼" per month if that. so i don't have 1½" to give up a year like she does with dusting. i don't wear my hair down often. my personal goal is to keep my ends healthy enough where i'm dusting twice a year, and rarely trimming. every now and then i will get a trim (½" or more), but i can probably count on one hand the number of times i've cut an inch or more at once since finding the hair boards in 2000.

i would rather take extra care of my ends, keep them moisturized and wear protective styles than to be able to wear my hair down all the time and dust or trim my hard work away...

the other major issue is the ability to find a stylist who knows the meaning of the word dust. it's hard enough finding someone who knows what trim means. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

zanna

This is great info Sherrylove! I dust my hair very often(I take off every single split end that I see), and I trim about 1 inch off about once every 6 months to keep my hair even.
Zanna

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
thanks sherry! the article was very thought provoking! /images/graemlins/smile.gif i can see how it makes sense for some. however, i still believe that cutting (trimming, dusting, whatever...) "because it's time" or for the sake of doing so is a waste when you're trying to grow your hair. looking at her pics, it appears that equestrian is doing this to maintain her healthy length. i can't see dusting all the time until you actually get to your goal length. i'm almost at mine and still wouldn't do this.

my hair doesn't grow as fast as most people's, maybe ¼" per month if that. so i don't have 1½" to give up a year like she does with dusting. i don't wear my hair down often. my personal goal is to keep my ends healthy enough where i'm dusting twice a year, and rarely trimming. every now and then i will get a trim (½" or more), but i can probably count on one hand the number of times i've cut an inch or more at once since finding the hair boards in 2000.

i would rather take extra care of my ends, keep them moisturized and wear protective styles than to be able to wear my hair down all the time and dust or trim my hard work away...

the other major issue is the ability to find a stylist who knows the meaning of the word dust. it's hard enough finding someone who knows what trim means. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this Adrienne. I found that I never really was able to acquire any REAL length (past my collarbones, shoulder blades) until I stopped my "regular trims". I also find this works better (just dusting) if you don't have a shpae or cut you are trying to maintain in your hair. I would surely lose my beloved layers if I dusted myself. In contrast to what the article suggested, I find that hair that is dusted by the individual themselves (this included me when I was doing it myself) tend to be less of a nice shape, and as a result, almost begs to be worn up more - because it doesn't look so hot down....

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I plan on getting myself on a regular relaxing and dusting schedule.

I will relax and dust every 3-4 months. I am still undecided on the timing. I will do no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

To be able to adjust to just dusting my ends I will practice on my dummy head until I get it right. Hopefully I won't lose more than 1/2 inch to 1 inch a year.

Dolapo

I used to dust eevry two weeks but i'll try to strecth it to every 8 weeks. It's really helped get rid of the damaged parts. And yes, im gaining a little length

lovelymissyoli

I have to say that I agree with this article. You know, since I’ve had my hair cut into layers it has grown faster than ever, even when my stylist trims my layers every time I come in for a press & curl (which is normally every 2 months). It’s never anything major --- she just snips away my ragged ends. So all in all, I believe that having your hair dusted regularly is beneficial in the long run because it not only helps with the appearance of your hair, but the overall health of it as well.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks to whoever bumped this!!! I see how trimming is important. Even though you may lose some length, it's for the better. Now I'm going to get dustings every 8-10 weeks so I can have healthy looking hair while I transition!!! :yay:

brickhouse

Poohbear said:
Thanks to whoever bumped this!!! I see how trimming is important. Even though you may lose some length, it's for the better. Now I'm going to get dustings every 8-10 weeks so I can have healthy looking hair while I transition!!! :yay:

ITA Poohbear. I just went to Sally's and purchase some scissors. I was planning on doing this myself anyway b/c my stylist would not let me see how much she was trimming since my hair has grown longer than hers.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
brickhouse said:
ITA Poohbear. I just went to Sally's and purchase some scissors. I was planning on doing this myself anyway b/c my stylist would not let me see how much she was trimming since my hair has grown longer than hers.
I have some scissors myself but I think I'm going to start going to a professional stylist for regular trims while I'm transitioning. :yep:

carletta

this is the ONLY way I trim my hair. I've only had a major trim 2x when i didn't know what in the "sam hill I was doing"! Since I've been doing the dusting, I've kept more lenght than I ever have before! :yep: