Relaxed Heads - Do You Use Honey For Hair Health?

sunnieb

no I don't. It just seems like my hair would be sticky.

PinkSunshine77 - yes it can be sticky, but the moisturizing properties are too much for my naturally dry hair to ignore. To combat the stickiness, you must begin with dripping wet hair and keep your hands wet. I can't believe how the honey just slides on. :yawn:

I have honey in my hair right now. Will probably rinse in about an hour and airdry. :yep:

Jobwright

Maybe I can do this over night tonight to combat some potential protein overload. Has anyone done an over night honey treatment? Can I just baggy with honey and no conditioner? Is honey all moisture or does it act like a protein?

sunnieb

Doing some honey research and came across another good article:

Jedley Manimtim
Tue September 8th, 2009

If you're looking for a simple home remedy for noticeably healthier and shinier hair, you'll probably have to look no further than your kitchen cabinet or pantry. I'm talking about honey. But before you get any sweet ideas to open up that jar or pop the top of that plastic bottle, I'd encourage you to finish reading in order to prevent against any sticky mess and unnecessary time spent under the shower faucet as consequence. You got that, honey? Do a quick search on our lovely associated content site and within seconds you'll find an abundance of articles citing the numerous cosmetic, medicinal, or nutritional benefits of honey. It's clear that
beyond its traditional affixation to conquering the classic sweet tooth, honey packs a lot more than meets the tongue.

Honey is as classified as a humectant and emollient, simply meaning that it is a naturally good conditioner and moisturizer because of its ability to attract and retain water molecules. This is a desirable effect and leaves hair looking shinier and feeling softer. It is also full of enriching vitamins and minerals. Here are two ways that you can use honey as a homemade conditioner and moisturizer for healthy and shiny hair.

#1 Way to Use Honey as a Natural Hair Conditioner and Moisturizer

Combine a quarter-size drop of honey with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil in a small, microwaveable dish/container. Mix the two ingredients with a spoon and microwave for 15-
30 seconds. Remove the concoction from the microwave and let cool for 30 seconds. Use your hands to evenly disperse the honey and olive oil throughout your hair. Massage it into your scalp and work from your roots to the tip of your hair. Cover with a shower cap (if you have long hair) or leave as is and let it sit for 30 minutes before showering. Shower and fully rinse out hair with cold water.

#2 Way to Use Honey as a Natural Hair Conditioner and Moisturizer

Combine a quarter-size drop of honey with an equal amount of your regular conditioner. Rub the two together and use your hands to evenly disperse the honey and conditioner throughout your hair (preferably damp). Massage it into your scalp and work from your roots to the tip of your hair. Cover with a shower cap (if you have long hair) or leave as is and let it sit for 30 minutes before showering. Shower and fully rinse out hair with cold water.

My Preferred Method of Using Honey for Healthier, Shinier Hair

Both of the aforementioned are great ways to make good use of honey's natural humectant power although I personally prefer the second to the first. Keep in mind that even though the concept of honey in your hair may sound like a sticky no-no, honey actually rinses out as easily as your
regular conditioner so as long as it's not applied to hair on its own. Using either of the above honey methods consistently (1-3 times a week at most) is sure to leave you with healthier, shinier, and smoother hair. Lastly, honey also naturally lightens hair, so if you're looking to darken your hair, consider using molasses as a substitute.

Source

Two sisters, two step-sisters, and one girlfriend :)

sunnieb

Ok, I'm growing impatient with only having a hint of brown.

Looks like the honey articles I've been reading say to leave the honey on for at least 3 hours once a week. I've been doing an hour.

I'll try to do 3 hours this afternoon since I have some house cleaning to do. I also might add some olive oil and cinnamon oil.

sunnieb

Added about a teaspoon of EVOO to the honey this time and I've had it on my hair for about an hour and a half. Not sure if I'll make it to 3 hours, but I'll leave it on until at least after 10pm. :yep:

Jobwright

Just stopping in to give my testimony on the greatness of honey. I went by the farmers market today, picked up some raw honey, came home, spritz my hair with water, honey'ed it down, baggied, sat under the dryer for about an hour, cowashed it out, ahpogee 2 min, coffee rinsed under ORS DC for an hour, roller set and OMG, THE SHINE AND BOUNCE when I took the rollers out. LOVIN THIS HONEY THING! Not sure if I can spend as much time as I did today on every wash, but every chance I get, HONEY WILL BE MY PREPOO!!!!!

Jobwright

Took my wrap down this morning and ITS STILL SHINY!!!!! Wow! Loving this! My DH even said it was so blingy and bouncy. YAY!!!!! So now I have 2 staples...honey and vatika oil. Now if I can find the PERFECT DC I will be set!!!

sunnieb

Added alot of honey to my protein dc tonight and left on for an hour. I love how honey makes my hair feel!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I will use honey during my wash day later today as I'm in need of some major hydration. I've been a little neglectful this week and it's showing in the form of dryness.

Jobwright

Honey on under my baggy right now. I am really pushing it to get my tea rinse, quick DC and roller set done before church this morning. Hoping the honey serves as the REAL DC because I think the DC with conditioner will be a real quick one in the shower...

sunnieb

I might try straight honey next wash day for lightening my hair, that's all i need for that right?

Lilmama1011 that's what I did at first. However, my hair still only has a light tint of brown after all this time.

I read that you need to leave the honey on for 3 hours and cinnamon oil or lemmon juice can also help with lightening. I need to do this.

But, it depends on your natural hair color as well. My hair is blacker than black so there's only so much honey can lighten.

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011 that's what I did at first. However, my hair still only has a light tint of brown after all this time.

I read that you need to leave the honey on for 3 hours and cinnamon oil or lemmon juice can also help with lightening. I need to do this.

But, it depends on your natural hair color as well. My hair is blacker than black so there's only so much honey can lighten.

Whats measurements for all ingredients or just put some and your fine? I never heard of cinnamon oil sunnieb

sunnieb

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I used honey last night and my hair felt great. I forget how nice it feels after using it during my DCing sessions. I dry DCed with it. I squeezed honey into a bowl, poured in some avocado oil, mixed in some conditioners that I was trying to use up and zapped all of it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Applied it to my tea soaked hair. Let it sit for a few hours. Hair felt great in the end.

sunnieb

divachyk I do a honey treatment once a week. I wet my hair in the shower and apply honey (mixed with a little olive oil) directly, put on a plastic cap and let it marinate for at least an hour. Luckily, I've been doing this for my entire relaxer cycle this go 'round so I really see the difference in my hair.

My ng retains moisture like never before and detangles so easily. I'm trying to lighten my hair so I don't heat it before applying.

I just did this last night and my hair is lovin' it!

Jobwright

I know this is not a challenge but I'm trying to keep track of myself in here. I hope you don't mind... Honey in with EVCO this time under baggy and dryer. I forgot to prepoo with coconut oil last night so hopefully this will do.

sunnieb

Jobwright go ahead!

I use threads as a tracker all the time. :yep:

Honey Hair Update - my hair is finally turning light brown all over! :grin: I'll try to take a pic that shows the brown.

sunnieb

I was finally able to get my honey treatment on before 7pm! :)

I'll let it sit until at least 9pm and see how that works.

My hair still looks black when I take pics, not sure what I have to do to get the brown to show up. :ohwell:

sunnieb

soonergirl - I know! I'm mad that I started this thread last year, and I just got around to really trying straight honey treatments this year!

I can't wait to rinse this honey out and bask in the softy shininess that's left behind! :cool2:

sunnieb

Um, no. Too much of a good thing.

My hair is too soft and spongy! I will stick to leaving the honey on for 1 hour only.

sunnieb

Even with all the problems last night, my hair is feeling the positive honey effects today.

Soft, shiny, and full of body! :yep:

Jobwright

Prepoo'ed with honey and EVCO before my cowash today. I tried Neutrogena Triple Moisture deep conditioning mask for the first time. I used it with coffee under. Sat under baggy and dryer for 1 hour. About to rinse and hoping for greatness!!!! Gonna roller set for date night with the hubby.

sunnieb

soonergirl - how'd your hair turn out?

@Jobwright - Hope your hair turned out perfect for your date night!

My hair is still so moist from the honey treatment! I was able to skip my normal cowash night last night. I'll dc tomorrow though - with honey added of course! :yep:

Last edited: