Relaxed Heads - Do You Use Honey For Hair Health?

Toy

I do this all the time love the way the honey makes my hair feel .very moisturized and soft.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

EnExitStageLeft

ALL UP IN IT :yep:. I use it in my deep conditioners weekly and have been doing so for about 2 years. My DC sessions just aren't the same without it :lick:.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I used the honey prepoo by Macherie several times but I don't recall it's impact on my hair. Over time I stopped using it and just went to adding the honey in my DC to use it up. I read that honey can lighten the hair and I didn't want that so I stopped using honey altogether. This was back when I was learning my hair. I know honey has outstanding benefits. Now that my hair's health is better and I am skilled enough to know if honey is/is not helping my hair upon using it, I will consider trying it sometime in the near future when feeling low on moisture/softness.

Been using it every wash day for about 2 months with no lightening effects to my hair. I use it in my prepoo mix -- mix it in whatever conditioner I'm trying to use up, apply it to dry hair, let it sit for about 30 mins. Prepooing and using honey are both keepers. I say both because both have improved my hair's moisture & softness.

sunnieb

Ok, I've changed my mind. I want to change my hair color a bit.

I'm too chicken to use a regular hair color with my relaxed hair, so here's my hair-lightening plan:

1) stop heating the honey I mix in my dc's

2) add an extra TBSP to my dc's for a total of 3 TBSP used each time I dc.

3) Do a honey treatment once a week in place of cowashing.

I'll let ya'll know how my little experiment turns out! :yep:

M12Casey

This might be just what I need. My hair has been feeling dry and hard lately so I'll try adding some to my dc next time I wash.

sunnieb
Are you using raw unprocessed honey like the article says?

tomnikids3

I tried once but didnt see any results and it was messy. Maybe I will try again using the steamer, i didnt have a steamer the first time.

sunnieb

M12Casey I've been lazy about going to our local Farmer's Market to get the good stuff (raw, unprocessed). I thought using the store brand was fine until I just read this:

Grocery Store Honey Isn't Honey

American grocery store, apparently—the majority of honey sold in U.S. supermarkets and drugstores has been processed into nutritional oblivion, according to Food Safety News. In fact, it’s been so ultra-filtered it doesn’t even meet the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s standards to be considered honey.

Testing of more than 60 jars, jugs and plastic bears of honey found 76% was entirely free of bee pollen, which is what gives honey many of its vast medicinal and nutritional properties. Any product that’s had the pollen filtered completely out of it isn’t actually considered honey, according to the FDA. Without the pollen, that honey you’re buying is nothing more than sweet-tasting syrup.

Some of the honey brands with no traces of pollen included: Busy Bee Organic Honey, CVS Honey, Giant Eagle Clover Honey, Kroger Pure Clover Honey, Market Pantry Pure Honey, Natural Suee Bee Clover Honey, Safeway Clover Honey, Wegman Clover Honey and Winner the Pooh Pure Clover (see the full list here).

Honey producers told Food Safety News that the reasons they filtered their products so much were because “North American shoppers want their honey crystal clear” and “the grocery stores want processed honey as it lasts longer on the shelves.” But removal of all pollen from honey “makes no sense,” Mark Jensen, president of the American Honey Producers Association, said.

“I don’t know of any U.S. producer that would want to do that. Elimination of all pollen can only be achieved by ultra-filtering and this filtration process does nothing but cost money and diminish the quality of the honey,” Jensen said.

“In my judgment, it is pretty safe to assume that any ultra-filtered honey on store shelves is Chinese honey and it’s even safer to assume that it entered the country uninspected and in violation of federal law,” he added.

Ultra-filtering honey makes it impossible to tell where the honey actually came from. A previous investigation from Food Safety News found at least a third of honey sold in the United States had been imported illegally from China, some of which was tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.

Your best bet, if you want honey that’s actually honey, is to buy it from a local source—100% of the samples Food Safety News bought at farmer’s markets and co-ops had the full amount of pollen; honey from Trader Joe’s and PCC market was also up to pollen par. As far as honey sold at typical drugstores and supermarkets went, organic brands were less likely to be ultra-filtered, with five out of seven organic honeys tested full of pollen.

In its pure, pollen-plentiful form, honey can fight bacteria, promote wound healing, and give you a hefty dose of antioxidants (see our guide to different honey varieties here).

Photo: Food Safety News

Looks like I'll be heading to the Farmer's Market this weekend. I'll post a pic of the honey I find.

sunnieb

Stopped by the farmers market and picked up a 32oz jar of unfiltered, raw, unprocessed honey.

Here's what it looks like:

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130411_171308.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130411_171308.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 75

heirloom

I've read through the thread and it sounds interesting. I had some manuka honey in the cupboard so thought I would use it in a pre poo. I've mixed a tressemme natural moisture condish, Grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil and obviously the manuka honey. Ill update you when I rinse it off in the morning

Dare~to~Dream

I'm not relaxed but I like mixing honey with olive oil (heated just a little) for a pre-shampoo treatment. I haven't done this in years :look: but the results are shinier, more moisturized hair.

sunnieb

I'm not relaxed but I like mixing honey with olive oil (heated just a little) for a pre-shampoo treatment. I haven't done this in years :look: but the results are shinier, more moisturized hair.

I mix Extra Virgin Olive Oil with honey as well. Works like a super-moisturizing power team! :yep:

M12Casey

sunnieb

Wow that's interesting. I can't believe they filter the honey that much. I was hoping I could just use grocery store honey but I'm going to have to check the farmer's market.

sunnieb

M12Casey - Yeah, I'm disappointed too. I love the convenience of buying honey at the store, but if it's a watered down version, my hair isn't getting all the benefits.

It's a bit out of my way to go to the Farmer's Market, but I just went straight after work today because I wanted to do a honey treatment tomorrow. I hope the 32oz jar lasts me for a while. :yep:

I need to find a way to use our good camera to take pics. I'm excited to see how brown my hair will go! :grin:

sunnieb

I'm off work today, so I decided to do a honey treatment. I went back and looked at Marcheriearmor's video from my first post and pretty much did what she did.

Supplies:
Unfiltered, raw, unprocessed honey
Spray bottle filled with water
Plastic cap

Technique:
*Got in the shower and did a "water wash". Completely soaked my hair and got out with it a little drippy.
*Sectioned hair as if I was going to apply a dc, scooped up a dollop of honey and applied directly to each section of hair - spraying with water to keep hair wet and honey application smooth.
*I learned quickly to keep my hands wet as well because they started getting a bit sticky when I'd finished with half my head.
*Put plastic cap on for an hour.
*Rinsed in shower using lukewarm water.
*Airdried

Here's the kicker: I'm 16 weeks post today, so I just knew this method would tangle my hair like crazy. :nervous2: I had decided not to detangle in the shower. My goal was just to rinse out the honey. However, as I was rinsing, I noticed my hair was super soft AND detangled! I got my shower comb out and was able to comb from root to tip with slip for days!

I was like, say whaaaaa! :shocked:

I'm about to bun it up to leave, but here's a pic of my hair right now. Love the shine and softness. Honey treatments are definitely for me! :yep:

Attachments

• HoneyHairApr13.jpg
    HoneyHairApr13.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 153

heirloom

So hair is about 90% dry. I didn't notice any difference in overall moisture levels but my hair is noticeably thicker than it has been in the past couple of weeks. I think I'll continue to use it

sunnieb

As an experiment, I didn't moisturize my hair last night to see if the "honey" shine would last until this morning.........it did! :)

sweetypoo705

Hi, Happy Saturday! I have used raw honey to prepoo & DC. I just heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds. Put it in my hair after wetting it, and wraped with Saran Wrap for half an hour. I have not felt such moisturized and strong hair without it- I do this once a month:yep:.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Honey is awesome and I use it often, mostly as a pre-poo mixed in with other things. I've never used straight honey sunnieb. I'll keep mixing it up with other things. Gives me a good excuse to use up product.

sunnieb

I'm thinking of doing another honey treatment tomorrow night.

Any suggestions on how I can apply the honey? I thought of using an applicator bottle, but this raw honey is so thick and sticky. I suppose I could pour some in a bowl and scoop it out. What do ya'll do?

Babygrowth

I'm thinking of doing another honey treatment tomorrow night.

Any suggestions on how I can apply the honey? I thought of using an applicator bottle, but this raw honey is so thick and sticky. I suppose I could pour some in a bowl and scoop it out. What do ya'll do?

I'm going to try one tmrw too! Like in the video; wet my hair, squeeze some in my hands and apply in sections...

mshoneyfly

How do you use it and why?

I mix 2 tablespoons of honey in all of my dc's. I've been doing this for years because I remember reading about the moisturizing effects of honey.

I looked on youtube and found this prepoo tutorial by Macherieamour (love her!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-wOCjhRig&list=UUPOQbEwc02d254hSh6dxHRg&index=8&feature=plcp

Has anyone done this prepoo before? I think I might try it.

What other things can we do with honey in our hair????? :drunk:

I mix 2 tablespoons of raw, organic honey into all my ayurvedic powder glosses along with oils and avj. I do this to make sure my hair gets enough moisture during these treatments.

I mixed honey with Wen 613 to counteract some of the protein. (I guess I am protein sensitive). This didn't work but I will try again.

sunnieb

Just finished applying the honey and put on a plastic cap.

Imma watch a movie and rinse/air dry after that. :yep:

Babygrowth

I did a honey prepoo for about 20 mins... I'm not sure if it was that or the products I used but my hair feels good! Next time I will add it with my DC and see how that goes!

sunnieb

Just rinsed out the honey after a little over an hour of letting it sit.

My hair is so soft and detangled. I can't believe I'm 17 weeks post!

Babygrowth

Just rinsed out the honey after a little over an hour of letting it sit.

My hair is so soft and detangled. I can't believe I'm 17 weeks post!

How did you apply it? Like in the video? I think I will try it again with just wetting my hair with water then applying the honey. I used a pre-made tea underneathe and that could be why my results was just so-so... sunnieb

sunnieb

How did you apply it? Like in the video? I think I will try it again with just wetting my hair with water then applying the honey. I used a pre-made tea underneathe and that could be why my results was just so-so... sunnieb

Babygrowth

Yep, I just wet my hair and applied the honey.

I put on a plastic cap and let it sit. I then rinsed and airdried. I can't believe how soft my hair is!