Relaxed Hair Tangly When Wet?

I recently relaxed my hair and I'm not used to how it behaves wet. It is SOOOO tangly and stiff when wet! My natural hair barely ever tangled at all but now roller sets are harder in a way because combing feels awful. I use my Tangle Teezer and a fine seamless comb but the comb just feels DREADUL. Is this normal?

Mine did that until I found the right mix of products.

Do you mean leave ins?
I use Joico Moisture Recovery because I trust it to keep my hair strong and soft and while I rinse it out my hair is heavenly soft but once it dries just a bit it gets this crazy stiffness and tangliness, it feels hard. I also use Aphogee 2 minute ( NOT 2 step lol) some washes, I wonder if it's too much protein...

Son26

I agree with abcd09 - you have to find the right products. For years my hair was always tangly when wet...thought there was something wrong with my hair, I tried so many shampoos and dreaded wash day because I hated the de-tangling process.

Then, about 3 years ago when I discovered design essentials moisture retention shampoo. Nowadays, I do not have any tangles at all after shampooing - the comb just glides through - it's the only shampoo I use now (along with vo5 conditioners - no protein). You have to find the right products for your relaxed hair.

Son26

Do you mean leave ins?
I use Joico Moisture Recovery because I trust it to keep my hair strong and soft and while I rinse it out my hair is heavenly soft but once it dries just a bit it gets this crazy stiffness and tangliness, it feels hard. I also use Aphogee 2 minute ( NOT 2 step lol) some washes, I wonder if it's too much protein...

It could also be too much protein. I stopped using a lot of protein (it made my hair feel dry and rough). I only use it around relaxer time.

abcd09

Do you mean leave ins?
Are you having tangled hair when it's wet and dry?

(when wet)I am mainly referring to the wash/dc. I think the main thing that helped was closing my cuticle with aloe vera juice and also, rinsing out my prepoo with borax and following up with an extremely moisturizing DC with AVJ. If I don't do that in that order, my hair is tangly. Whatever I did before- use a shampoo instead of borax and not use AVJ, made my hair tangled for some reason.

(when dry) I think you are using too much protein. Aphogee two min works better for me than Joico. I did something different this weekend and applied Aphogee then applied some conditioner and then dced after rinsing. That helped stop the stiffness. Try that?

Are you having tangled hair when it's wet and dry?

(when wet)I am mainly referring to the wash/dc. I think the main thing that helped was closing my cuticle with aloe vera juice and also, rinsing out my prepoo with borax and following up with an extremely moisturizing DC with AVJ. If I don't do that in that order, my hair is tangly. Whatever I did before- use a shampoo instead of borax and not use AVJ, made my hair tangled for some reason.

(when dry) I think you are using too much protein. Aphogee two min works better for me than Joico. I did something different this weekend and applied Aphogee then applied some conditioner and then dced after rinsing. That helped stop the stiffness. Try that?

Nope, just wet hair once it dries it's wonderful thank goodness. Idk what I would do if it carried over into my dry hair.
Interesting, I may have to try this Borax stuff as well as aloe vera juice because I cannot stand the wet stiffness and tangles, makes me feel like I'm going to get severe breakage...
Can Borax clean the scalp well? That's a major reason why I need to use sulfate shampoos, I get a scalp buildup from sebum and usually even dandruff shampoo won't get it all off :(.

BadMamaJama

Do you have a leave-in? Something you put on after you wash and condition but before you moisturize? I know a leave in made a big difference for me. I use Garnier sleek and shine right now, but before that I used Oyin Honey Dew and Kinky Curly Knot Today.

Evolving78

Do you mean leave ins?

i had to back away from JMR because it made my hair stiff and hard to detangle. i have been using lower end products and it seems to be working better for my hair when it comes to washing and conditioning.

Joico and Aphogee was just too much protein for me. i use Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo an i use Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisture (tan jar) for deep conditioning. i try to stay away from shampoos and conditioners that have protein in them, but are suppose to be moisturizing. and moisturizing shampoo or conditioner that says strengthen or stronger hair, i stay away from.

Last edited: