Why is My Relaxed Hair Hard When Wet?

Nazaneen

I'm so annoyed since I touched up my hair in July. I can't wash my hair right anymore. My roots tangle and go all hard when wet. The irony is that my natural hair barely tangled and my washes were so easy. I also find my hair hard to comb when I rollerset now.
I'm seriously ready to transition. I miss having real curls instead of frizzy waves. I'm really craving my natural hair again.

In the meantime is there anything I can do to help with the weird hardness/tangles when wet? I have to use a ton of Vo5 conditioner to loosen it up after each lather :nono:. It's wasteful and annoying.

Could it be buildup? When was the last time you clarified your hair?

How often do you moisturize your hair? How often do you feel condition?

How thoroughly do you detangle before you start washing? And how much protein is in your regimen? Did you use a different relaxer in July than the one you normally use?

Same relaxer... I don't have much buildup on the hair itself... and my hair is not tangled till I apply the shampoo. Then, it just tangles up and gets this stiffness too it that requires gobs and gobs of shampoo to smooth out again...

Which shampoo are you currently using? I'm also relaxed and I've noticed SLS makes my hair hard/rough. My favorite SLS-free shampoo is Costco's private brand (Kirkland Signature). I've been using it 2+ years with no need to switch it up!

Hard when wet = Protein Overload.

Do a bunch a moisture DCs over the next month.

Also, steer clear of anything with protein during this time, until you balance it out.

Kenra is best for coming off of a protein overload.

ETA: Keep an eye on your PH balance...I would suggest, doing ACV rinses as well. At this point, Im sure youre Alkaline. Need to bring it down to atleast 4.5 to 5.5. Then you know youll be ok.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me. I had to use gobs of moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to soften my hair to detangle and after rinsing it out, my hair stiffened again.

Did you know you can get shampoo build up on your hair? Hard water build up? I clarified my hair and my hair is soft and manageable again.

Which shampoo are you currently using? I'm also relaxed and I've noticed SLS makes my hair hard/rough. My favorite SLS-free shampoo is Costco's private brand (Kirkland Signature). I've been using it 2+ years with no need to switch it up!

im using herbal essences...its yellow.
i think we discussed this before demlew!!! do you recall? i never did try the shampoo though.

.... said the Phablet

Hard when wet = Protein Overload.

Do a bunch a moisture DCs over the next month.

Also, steer clear of anything with protein during this time, until you balance it out.

Kenra is best for coming off of a protein overload.

ETA: Keep an eye on your PH balance...I would suggest, doing ACV rinses as well. At this point, Im sure youre Alkaline. Need to bring it down to atleast 4.5 to 5.5. Then you know youll be ok.

i dont use protein though :( . this only happens after a touchup. its def relaxer related...

.... said the Phablet

you might need a better neutralizing shampoo. I used to have that problem when I used Silk Elements, but not when I used Motions. I also realized when I washed after I fully neutralized, that made my hair hard too. Mid protein steps stopped this problem too, but I would proceed with those with some caution.

I think it's build up as well. Back in the day I recalled every time when I got my hair relaxed it seemed to tangle up badly and I lost a lot of hair but it was soft at the just relaxed hair but tangles at the ends and I thought this was all normal. Until I got into the clarifying in between relaxers and after, now my hair is so soft and last relaxer i only lost literally one hair after rinsing hair out under water and detangling, I was shocked! And I have hard water

i dont use protein though :( . this only happens after a touchup. its def relaxer related...

.... said the Phablet

Right after relaxer...Yea I get that too.

Are you prepatory proteining prior to relaxer?

Last edited:
I think it's build up as well. Back in the day I recalled every time when I got my hair relaxed it seemed to tangle up badly and I lost a lot of hair but it was soft at the just relaxed hair but tangles at the ends and I thought this was all normal. Until I got into the clarifying in between relaxers and after, now my hair is so soft and last relaxer i only lost literally one hair after rinsing hair out under water and detangling, I was shocked! And I have hard water

mine is tge opposite...its the freshly relaxed hair that tangles.

im scared to clarify :( even ordinary shampoo makes it crisp lol.
luckily its super soft now since i rollerset.

.... said the Phablet

mine is tge opposite...its the freshly relaxed hair that tangles.

im scared to clarify :( even ordinary shampoo makes it crisp lol.
luckily its super soft now since i rollerset.

.... said the Phablet

I wouldnt clarify right now...

My theory is, the relaxer drains the hair of moisture and you have to restore it for a few after a relaxer.

In combination with your PH most likely being off do to the relaxer chems...They are alkaline in itself. When you relax, after the last wash you should always do an ACV rinse. It will tingle your scalp but it will bring thats PH back down where its safe, or use the Porosity Control, it has acidity to control PH levels.

I cant remember cuz its been a few since I relaxed but, I dont believe Ive had that hard feeling since Ive been doing them right after.

Last edited:
Back