relaxed ladies who comb when wet

ANUBIS

do you get less breakage then when you comb when dry? I was always taught that it was bad to comb while wet because the hair is weaker when wet and that it will break easier. I am 2o weeks post and i am getting tired of my hair matting...i need to get this tangling and knots under control

ajoyfuljoy

I always comb when wet. But I think you may need the advice of someone who is transitioning since you are so far along. Good luck.

sheedahp

I want to know the same thing. I used to would not comb my hair at all when wet because no matter how wide the comb was hair came out, ALOT, and I used to hate it when the salon stylist would comb my hair with a fine tooth comb, I could just feel the hair coming out. Now that I do weekly protein cond. my hair is stronger and can tolerate it better, not loosing too much but still loosing some though. Now I will add that on the days I do protein treatments my hair is not as soft and doesnt detangle as well as on my moisture focus days. HTH

LongiLox

I usually comb LIGHTLY while my hair is wet. I finish combing properly after it's dry. Either way, I always notice that I lose a lot of hair. Not sure there's any solution besides being as gentle as possible.

doll-baby

I use to comb my hair while it was wet but I noticed a lot of breakage. So now I detangle my hair while its dry before i wash it, wash, let it air dry, then comb (to style).

sheedahp

I use to comb my hair while it was wet but I noticed a lot of breakage. So now I detangle my hair while its dry before i wash it, wash, let it air dry, then comb (to style).
I airdried once and my hair was a mess, soft but messy, not to mention the nappy newgrowth, I couldnt comb my hair for days until it was time for my relaxer. How do you usually style after you airdry?

foxieroxienyc

I towel blot so it's not completely soaked, but certainly my hair is wet. I use my leave-in's and use a wide tooth comb or a shower comb. I do this every wash and I only loose sheds. I do this from the time I relax all the way through long stretches. But I don't rake the comb, I more or less do a picking type of action to detangle. When it's dry I can comb as I normally would.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
do you get less breakage then when you comb when dry? I was always taught that it was bad to comb while wet because the hair is weaker when wet and that it will break easier. I am 2o weeks post and i am getting tired of my hair matting...i need to get this tangling and knots under control

You should/could Detangle using oil or conditioner and your fingers. You have to do it very, very slowly.:yep:

When Detangling "wet" still start with your fingers, and slowly start from the bottom and work your way up with your Wide Tooth Comb. Pick them out with your finger first. You could still use product. Either your Leave-In Conditioner and/or Oil.

Fingers work exceptionally well detangling.

doll-baby

I airdried once and my hair was a mess, soft but messy, not to mention the nappy newgrowth, I couldnt comb my hair for days until it was time for my relaxer. How do you usually style after you airdry?

Well right now I'm alternating between wearing an half wig and wearing a bun. On the day's that I work I will put my hair in a single braid , pin it under and put on the wig. On my Off day's I'll just have my hair in a loose bun. So I'm not really wearing my hair down when it air dries. However i hear that air drying in braids or bantu knots helps avoid puffy hair.

LaidBak

At the start of my hair journey, when I was experimenting with protein I could NOT comb my hair when wet. It would come right off in the comb, in my hand, on the towel, etc. It was sad. But now that I've figured out what my hair needs (moisture only) my hair is SO STRONG when wet. I lose one or two hairs period when I comb it wet.
For a transitioner I would suggest getting some oil down in the NG before you try to comb thru it. Or if you are not opposed to cones you can get a good serum. You've got to get something in there to lubricate those strands.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I comb my hair wet. Before I couldn't but realized it was the combo of products I was using. When I Prepoo with EVCO, clarify, cowash with vo5 moisture milks and use Garnier Fructis leave-in i get mega slip. Even with NG.

MonPetite

While bone-laxed I combed wet and dry without issues. Be sure to use a wide-toothed comb, go from tips to roots and ALWAYS with conditioner or some kind of detangling aid.

ajoyfuljoy

My hair is a g then b/c I would almost say that it prefers wet :lachen: when my hair "breaks" it sounds like a barret closing...and that isn't too often. I use light protein every week and my relaxed hair is super strong.

Last edited:

Thann

I also comb my damp hair. Dry combing to detangle just seems like a bigger mess for me.

I make sure to hold my hair as I detangle and to start at the ends and work my way up.I don't get any noticable breakage from it either.

knt1229

I comb my hair when wet all the time BUT I don't have any breakage when doing it. At most there is maybe one or two strands of hair in the comb.

I would suggest combing your hair before washing. Then comb/detangle your hair with the moisturizing conditioner in it. Makes detangling/combing alot easier. Also, on the days you use a protein conditioner you should follow that up with a moisturizing conditioner. This way your hair will be soft and easier to comb instead of hard and hard to comb.

Get a detangling comb it makes detangling a breeze.

MummysGirl

I always comb when wet/damp. I am transitioning (33.5 weeks post)... I finger comb while rinsing out conditioner and then with a wide tooth comb after applying my leave in to my damp hair.

I don't comb my dry hair anymore, I might lightly detangle my relaxed ends dry but that hardly ever happens. I don't run any kind of comb through my new growth when it's dry.

Last edited:

janeemat

Well, I have to comb when wet. How else would you do a rollerset without combing? Plus wet hair is easier to detangle.

brittdadutchess

My hair prefer wet combing....especially with me being about 16 weks +/- post. Its soooo much easier and although my hair sheds whether wet or dry...I notice less when wet.

panamoni

I comb when wet using a wide tooth comb, after using an ACV rinse. ACV rinses make my hair detangled so I can comb easily. My new growth stays detangled, and I never have matting, ever. There's no breakage. There may be a very small amount of shed hairs on the comb, but nothing out of the ordinariy -- just a few strands.

Mercie

I have to comb my hair when it is wet to detangle it.
I don't comb it roughly though. I start from the ends to the roots.
I use a really wide comb too. I almost never use a fine tooth comb.

It hurts and it is tough for me to comb my hair when it is dry.
(Unless the hair is really soft)

onejamifan

I do both. I don't get excessive breakage or shedding either way. I comb in the shower and a couple of days later I comb while it's dry. That lets me go a couple more days before washing again...

pri

I'm 19 weeks post will be 20 on Saturday and transitioning and I must comb while hair is soaking wet on wash day. My hair mats and tangles easily if not properly detangled so I have to comb it right after rinsing the conditioner out on wash day and daily w/ moisturizer in it when dry to avoid breakage. I just started recently using Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and Miss Jessie's Babybutter Cream and they both work very well to assist w/ combing and melts all tangles and matting away. HTH and I hope you don't mind me adding in being that I'm transitioning...I saw 20 weeks post and just jumped right in.. :)

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I am relaxed, and I always comb when wet, and always only use my Jilbere shower comb. If my hair is dry, I have to spray it first before I can even THINK of putting anything to my tresses.

pattyr5

I use a shampoo comb to go through my hair while I have conditioner in it. Since I usually wash my hair in the sink, I use the spray nozzle as I'm rinsing the conditioner out and the tangles loosen easier with the flow of water. I try to squeeze out as much water as possible and then blot with a towel...too much agitation with a towels tends to tangle up my hair again.

Taina

I just combed it in the shower with some conditiones. Style it in the shower and then no touch it untill is dry. I also took little portions of hair and do it with so much patience ... took all the time i need.