Recommend a hard hat/soft bonnet hair dryer

KdsLady09

Hey ladies! I am looking for a good quality, cost efficient, hard hat/soft bonnet hair dryer to use for my rollersets and dc's.

I dug out an old soft bonnet dryer out of my mom's closet. Unfortunately as soon as I went to go use it, the piece that you put the hose into broke off!:nono:. So I am in need.

TIA:grin:

TrendySocialite

Don't buy the Gold n Hot or the Ion ones from Sally's. They don't dry the back of your hair well at all. I had one for literally 15 years til it almost caught on fire...that was the best ever! I was dry in an hour! Now...I almost have to hand dry the back with a hand held blow dryer.

Hopefully in the next month or so I will be able to get a soft bonnet dryer and that will help me alot...I hate sitting up in the chair while I'm DCing or drying late at night.

shmmr

Hey ladies! I am looking for a good quality, cost efficient, hard hat/soft bonnet hair dryer to use for my rollersets and dc's.

TIA:grin:

Hey!

hard hat bonnets are very different than soft bonnet dryers - not sure which one you wanted...but if you're interested in soft bonnets there are a lot of old threads about them. I seem to remember people mentioning :

1. spaceman dryers (looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Ionic-Bonnet-Dryer-Gh2138/dp/B0012DOK9Q) or the ion ionic silver one that's basically the same thing.

2. the old vintage GE hair dryers (look like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GE-Portable-Deluxe-Bonnet-Hair-Dryer-with-case_W0QQitemZ250388962238QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250388962238&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50) that people get off ebay. If you go this route, watch the prices for about a week so that you get a good dryer at a good price

3. the classic gold n hot (like this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Soft-Bonnet-Dryer/SBS-255282,default,pd.html)

there are others...

I think the main issue for most people was how well they dry the hair and how big the bonnet is to fit big rollers. I have both the vintage GE and the silver spaceman. Both are big enough for the purple rollers, the spaceman bonnet is larger though. I use the spaceman when traveling because it is so small. Both work very well.

HTH

marla

Now I have the hard hat type of dryer which works well for my rollersets, but it doesn't work well for my DC. I will picking up my soft bonnet dryer tomorrow!

darlingdiva

Don't buy the Gold n Hot or the Ion ones from Sally's. They don't dry the back of your hair well at all. I had one for literally 15 years til it almost caught on fire...that was the best ever! I was dry in an hour! Now...I almost have to hand dry the back with a hand held blow dryer.

Hopefully in the next month or so I will be able to get a soft bonnet dryer and that will help me alot...I hate sitting up in the chair while I'm DCing or drying late at night.

Really? I have the Gold and Hot Ionic soft bonnet dryer & I like it. You do have to reposition it to ensure that the back of your hair is dried well, but it doesn't bother me that much. I bought it from the BSS & I only paid $30.

KdsLady09

Hey!

hard hat bonnets are very different than soft bonnet dryers - not sure which one you wanted...but if you're interested in soft bonnets there are a lot of old threads about them. I seem to remember people mentioning :

1. spaceman dryers (looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Ionic-Bonnet-Dryer-Gh2138/dp/B0012DOK9Q) or the ion ionic silver one that's basically the same thing.

2. the old vintage GE hair dryers (look like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GE-Portable-Deluxe-Bonnet-Hair-Dryer-with-case_W0QQitemZ250388962238QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250388962238&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50) that people get off ebay. If you go this route, watch the prices for about a week so that you get a good dryer at a good price

3. the classic gold n hot (like this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Soft-Bonnet-Dryer/SBS-255282,default,pd.html)

there are others...

I think the main issue for most people was how well they dry the hair and how big the bonnet is to fit big rollers. I have both the vintage GE and the silver spaceman. Both are big enough for the purple rollers, the spaceman bonnet is larger though. I use the spaceman when traveling because it is so small. Both work very well.

HTH
Thanks for the info shmmr...

Newbie question...Can anyone please tell me what are the major differences between the results of a hard hat or soft bonnett on the hair?

yamilee21

...Newbie question...Can anyone please tell me what are the major differences between the results of a hard hat or soft bonnett on the hair?

It's been a while since I rollerset but that was how my hair was dried almost every week for years since childhood. The first 6-8 years or so , we had the soft bonnet kind (like the one in the ebay link). A few times during that period, my hair was dried with a hard bonnet dryer (either at a salon or at someone's house). With the soft bonnet, it took my hair twice as long to dry (2 hours versus one hour), my hair was always frizzier and more poofy, and it would revert much faster - three days maximum in low-humidity weather, compared to being able to last the whole week to the next wash with the hard bonnet. Also, with long/thick hair, the soft bonnet could barely fit over the rollers - the ones at the back were always sticking out. When the motor on the soft bonnet dryer finally burnt out, I made sure we bought a hard bonnet one to replace it.

Natural Glow

I had a Vidal Sassoon Soft Bonnet Dryer like this one.
I LOVED that thing. My hair would dry so soft and shiny. Sometimes it was better than the Pibbs because I could just sit on the couch and watch TV while using it.

The reason I stopped using it is because the part that connects it to the hose tore. Also you can't fit big rollers under it and the back of my hair was a ***** to get dry.

I also had one of these

Same problem though had to twist my neck all kinds of ways to get the back dry and gray rollers were as big as I could go.

Eventually I had to upgrade to the Pibbs. But at the time I liked the Vidal Sassoon it got the job done.

anniev2

I am interested in an affordable soft and hard dryer. I have this janky, janky, janky Gold N' Hot. I wish they would just stop making this trash. That Gold N Hot dryer sucks b/c i have to sit forever and its like an oven....does not feel like air is moving at all.

I'm a busy body and need some freedom to move and really want to get a soft bonnet dryer. Oh how i wish I knew how valuable my grandmother's was when I was young.