Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Gold'n Hot

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 35 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

locfreeme

I'm searching for a good soft bonnet hair dryer. I have a hard bonnet dryer that's fine, but I'd prefer a soft bonnet so I can relax in my rocking chair, watch TV, etc., while I dry my hair. I recently purchased a Gold'n Hot Ionic dryer and here's my review:

Pros:
Lightweight and portable
Dried my braided hair in about 1.5 hours on cool setting
My hair was soft, moisturized, and not too frizzy
Has a cool setting in addition to low and high heat settings
Very roomy and should have no problem drying a head full of rollers

Cons:
I couldn't hear A THING! It's as loud or louder than my hood dryer
I looked like a space alien (See link for pic) - although I don't really care about this as long as it gets the job done
http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-N-HOT-PROF...ryZ11858QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
No carrying case

I need a bonnet dryer that will give me the same results without all the noise. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Isis

I was about to post about my ION soft bonnet and soon I realized that's what you are describing, the ION not the Gold N Hot. Is that correct?
ETA:
I just checked your link - it looks like mine but I guess Gold N Hot has one also.
I don't mind the noise, I can still wear headphones or earphones to listen to something. Usually, I take this time to read or check out LHCF.

Last edited:

Cooyah

i have the ion soft bonnet dryer (looks like yours but silver), love it dearly. it can fit in smallest handheld suitcase with room to spare. very lightweight, dries quickly on low heat, takes a little longer on cold setting. it's a bit noisy, but i usually just turn the tv up

locfreeme

bumping...

Isis/Cia,

I guess Ion is the way to go, but I have an 8-month-old running around here, so I'd prefer a dryer that doesn't deafen me. :) I'll deal with if I have to, but I'm hoping maybe there's an alternative...

Anyone else?

blackbarbie

I'll be checking out this thread for reccomendations. I have a hard bonnet that's on it's last leg (have had it for 15 years) and it's so broken down that I have to prop, pull, and adjust in order for it to sit on my head right.

That seems to be a good price on that Gold n Hot. I hadn't started my search yet, but i was afraid it was going to be more than that.

I'll keep checking for more reviews too!

...................good thread!

Southernbella.

CiaJcanBabi said:
i have the ion soft bonnet dryer (looks like yours but silver), love it dearly. it can fit in smallest handheld suitcase with room to spare. very lightweight, dries quickly on low heat, takes a little longer on cold setting. it's a bit noisy, but i usually just turn the tv up

I also have the ION soft bonnet, and I absolutely LOVE it. The only con for me is the noise, but I deal with it because I love everything else about it. One of my best hair care purchases ever.:D

Hair Peace

I JUST bought the ION soft bonnet dryer today from Sally's! They have a $4 off coupon for it too! I was trying to find the other thread where someone else gave reviews on it ...but I can't find it. If anyone else finds it, please post the link.

TIA

locfreeme

Lauren, like you my only complaint is the noise. I'm hoping I can find another dryer that gives similar results with less noise. Doesn't look like it's going to happen based on the responses so far...still hoping...waiting for more responses. lol

I just looked up the ION dryer and yes, it does appear to be exactly the same as my Gold'n Hot version. How much was it? I didn't get mine from that ebay link, though; I paid $33 for it from the BSS. The guy there said it's a good dryer but a lot of people don't buy it because of how it looks.

The ION: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1630/303284

Last edited:

Isis

Hair Peace said:
I JUST bought the ION soft bonnet dryer today from Sally's! They have a $4 off coupon for it too! I was trying to find the other thread where someone else gave reviews on it ...but I can't find it. If anyone else finds it, please post the link.

TIA
I know the thread you're talking about but I can't seem to be able to pull up any of my searches of a few months ago or earlier. Congrats on your new ION dryer! I got mine on sale at Sally's this past December. It's an excellent buy! :yep:

metalkitty

Heh, I also have an Ion soft bonnet and love it since its so light and I could easilly pack it somewhere. I like to plug it in near the computer and browse LHCF while I dry.

shortness

locfreeme said:
Lauren, like you my only complaint is the noise. I'm hoping I can find another dryer that gives similar results with less noise. Doesn't look like it's going to happen based on the responses so far...still hoping...waiting for more responses. lol

I just looked up the ION dryer and yes, it does appear to be exactly the same as my Gold'n Hot version. How much was it? I didn't get mine from that ebay link, though; I paid $33 for it from the BSS. The guy there said it's a good dryer but a lot of people don't buy it because of how it looks.

That's funny, I went into the BSS and was going to buy that dryer, until I saw it. It scared me!!! But after hearing such great reviews, I might just get it

Southernbella.

locfreeme said:

I wanna say I paid $29.99 at Sally. I thought the same thing when I saw it on the box, but it got such rave reviews here that I went ahead and got it!

chellee

shortness said:
That's funny, I went into the BSS and was going to buy that dryer, until I saw it. It scared me!!! But after hearing such great reviews, I might just get it

It is nonstop jokes in my house when I use this dryer but I love it. I just keep telling them they won't be laughing when I have long hair :grin:

aquarian1252004

Add me to the list of everyone else that has the ION soft bonnet dryer. I got mine from Sally's for $29.99. I have not had the opportunity to use it that much yet, but I am glad to here all the positive reviews. When I have used it though FH constantly makes jokes about me being an alien and everything else :p

MochaEyeCandy

lauren450 said:
I also have the ION soft bonnet, and I absolutely LOVE it. The only con for me is the noise, but I deal with it because I love everything else about it. One of my best hair care purchases ever.:D
Co-signing. It's great for travel cause it takes up so little space.

SweetAKA

I am thinking about picking up this dryer. My hair is really thick and the soft bonnet dryer that I have is by Carel (Helen of Troy), I bought it from Sallys, it takes awhile to get my hair dry.

It isnt as loud as some of the others, and it does come in a carrying case, however packing it in a suitcase would take up most of the room. I usually just use it for DC and blow dry my hair.

erin558

I'm really glad I read this post because i was about to go out and by a hood dryer. i really like bonnet dryers because they are pretty comfortable.

you guys say the ion soft bonnet is around $30?

carameldiva

i have a carel soft bonnet dryer and i love it- i have had it for 2 yrs now and i use it for my pre poo and deep conditioning treatments. Got it from sally's.

lauren450 said:

co-signing w/lauren 450... it's da bomb!:yep:couldn't be w/o it:D

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I aboslutely love my ION soft bonnet. If you have a Sally's card you get a discount on it (Sally's card is so worth it if you buy a lot of stuff from them, like I do).

baglady215

metalkitty said:
Heh, I also have an Ion soft bonnet and love it since its so light and I could easilly pack it somewhere. I like to plug it in near the computer and browse LHCF while I dry.

LOL. That's what I do. :lol: I love my ION!

I had the Carel and it was OK for deep conditioning but it took FOREVER to dry my hair. Plus I had issues with the cap (it ripped :( )

Last edited:

amy1234

I use my Carel soft bonnet for drying (but I rarely use it presently). Believe it or not , I would fall asleep in it!

goldensugar23

I have the gold n hot soft bonnet and i like it.It drys pretty well but it is very noisey...

I went on vacation with my family last year and they made me go in the next room because they couldnt hear the tv with my dryer on!!

I was so lonely in the next room by myself with my dryer...:(