Questions for relaxed ladies who have grown out hair without protective styling.

jamiette

I have just removed my braids which I have been wearing for about 6 months (having them redone every two months). My hair has not been in such good condition since I was a child. But now I realize that I do not really know what to do with my hair. The braids were like crutches for me.
Now that I have decided to to do without them I am afraid that I will do something to mess it up all of the progress that I have made, but at the same time I want to be able to enjoy it.
My question is to all of the ladies who are relaxed and have grown out their hair without using protective styling, how did you do it?
I have checked the archives but have not gotten the specific information that I am looking for. I noticed that Sylver2 has done it with great success and I am sure that there are many other success stories.

Would any of you mind sharing actual regimes with me?
How did you manage to keep your ends in good condition?
Do you use heat?
How do you style your hair? Wraps? Rollersets?
Thank in advance for all replies:)

krissyprissy

I use protective styles to grow out my hair but you can focus on low stress styles such as roller set, braid out, and flexi rod set(my favorite). Just remember that you have to always focus on you ends by moisturizing them everyday and use no heat. Also use satin covered rollers to maintain your style and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Keep your hair moist by deep conditioning at least once a week and invest in a good brush such as a Denman or a boar bristle brush and throw away all cheap combs and only use seamless combs. Growing your hair without protective styles takes a lots of TLC but it can be done.

ryanshope

I basically rollerset my hair weekly, deep condition faithfully and wear a doo-rag when it is " unkept"...I haven't had a weave, braids or rocked a wig in years...not that I won't be I my hair has really thrived with the rollerset, doobie wrap regime..I a little past bra strap and I use little heat...

jamiette

sweetness0099 said:
I basically rollerset my hair weekly, deep condition faithfully and wear a doo-rag when it is " unkept"...I haven't had a weave, braids or rocked a wig in years...not that I won't be I my hair has really thrived with the rollerset, doobie wrap regime..I a little past bra strap and I use little heat...

What kind of special attention do you pay to your ends? How do you keep them nice while wearing a wrap style?

flexi rod set

krissyprissy said:
I use protective styles to grow out my hair but you can focus on low stress styles such as roller set, braid out, and flexi rod set(my favorite). Just remember that you have to always focus on you ends by moisturizing them everyday and use no heat. Also use satin covered rollers to maintain your style and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Keep your hair moist by deep conditioning at least once a week and invest in a good brush such as a Denman or a boar bristle brush and throw away all cheap combs and only use seamless combs. Growing your hair without protective styles takes a lots of TLC but it can be done.

How do you do a flexi rod set? How do you use the satin covered rollers? I currently use the velcro rollers but have recently stopped because they were tearing up my ends

macherieamour

Hi!! Ive tried protective styles on and off for the last two years and I really I dont notice a difference from when I do them for a month and when i wear my hair down every day for a month.

My regimen is on my blog www.healthytextures.com under the Hair Maintenance Section:)

How did you manage to keep your ends in good condition? I always comb with a wide tooth comb and moisturize my ends with Keracare Creme Headress.
Do you use heat? I use heat once a week for my rollersets and occaisonally with a curling iron if Im going somewhere special in a hurry.

How do you style your hair? Wraps? Rollersets

I rollerset faithfully every week. I have been doing rollersets since 1999 (first 6 years by a stylist, last year or two by myself). After I rollerset, I wrap for a straight look. I maintain the style by wrapping every night. Before I wrap I apply Keracare headdress, wrap, spray Keracare OIl Sheen and cover with a doorag.

Rollersetting is great, especially for relaxed hair. It gives a super silky straight polished hair with body. The ends dry nicely and its easy to maintain during the week:)

lonei

I grew it to almost waist length without protective styles, but had to cut it recently due to wear and tear (and other things) so be careful. Rollersetting is the best thing ever!

JLove74

I rollerset and to maintain the curls I use steam rollers during the week. before wraping at night I apply Mizani Rosehip H20. My ends don't get dry so, I tend to just apply a little coconut oil on the ends.

hot_pepper96

macherieamour said:
I rollerset faithfully every week. I have been doing rollersets since 1999 (first 6 years by a stylist, last year or two by myself). After I rollerset, I wrap for a straight look. I maintain the style by wrapping every night. Before I wrap I apply Keracare headdress, wrap, spray Keracare OIl Sheen and cover with a doorag.

Rollersetting is great, especially for relaxed hair. It gives a super silky straight polished hair with body. The ends dry nicely and its easy to maintain during the week:)
Macherieamour,

Question about the KeraCare Oil Sheen, is that drying at all or too oily. How do you like it?

macherieamour

hot_pepper96 said:
Macherieamour,

Question about the KeraCare Oil Sheen, is that drying at all or too oily. How do you like it?

I find it to be a lot heavier than most oil sheen which I personally like. The other oil sheens just seem to evaporate and not do anything. So I use this sparingly and it gives me a great sheen. Its wayy more expensive than most oil sheen so its a bit of a splurge.

macherieamour said:
Hi!! Ive tried protective styles on and off for the last two years and I really I dont notice a difference from when I do them for a month and when i wear my hair down every day for a month.

My regimen is on my blog www.healthytextures.com under the Hair Maintenance Section:)

How did you manage to keep your ends in good condition? I always comb with a wide tooth comb and moisturize my ends with Keracare Creme Headress.
Do you use heat? I use heat once a week for my rollersets and occaisonally with a curling iron if Im going somewhere special in a hurry.

Your hair is beautiful!!

jamiette

macherieamour said:

I am going to invest in some some rollers and I am going to look at your regime. Thanks!

jamiette

Wow! Rollersets really seem to be the way to go! I have NEVER used this method of hair styling. Except for when my mother used to put those hard, headache causing rollers in my head when I was little to preserve my "mushroom" LOL.
Do you all use the steam rollers?

Southernbella.

I also recommend rollersetting. I actually used Macherie's regimen as my inspiration when I was starting out, and it's done wonders for me!

As far as rollers, I use the magnetic ones in various sizes, and use the silver butterfly clips to secure them.

I've never worn protective styles, and I've seen pretty good growth.

jamiette

lonei said:
I grew it to almost waist length without protective styles, but had to cut it recently due to wear and tear (and other things) so be careful. Rollersetting is the best thing ever!
I'm sorry to hear that. But I looked at your pics and your hair is still fabulous!

macherieamour

:grin: Thanks guys:) Right now, Im in the process of moving so it doesnt have a lot of new content but in the next few weeks, ill post more.

I think the key to get rid of the mushroom is to not use a lot of product. I use to use setting lotion and a whole bunch of products but then some of the ladies on LHCF suggested using just leave-in and serum and spray a lot with water. It completely got rid of the stiff helmut hair:lol: Plus, my hair was straighter, silkier and shinier.

plove

jamiette said:
I have just removed my braids which I have been wearing for about 6 months (having them redone every two months). My hair has not been in such good condition since I was a child. But now I realize that I do not really know what to do with my hair. The braids were like crutches for me.
Now that I have decided to to do without them I am afraid that I will do something to mess it up all of the progress that I have made, but at the same time I want to be able to enjoy it.
My question is to all of the ladies who are relaxed and have grown out their hair without using protective styling, how did you do it?
I have checked the archives but have not gotten the specific information that I am looking for. I noticed that Sylver2 has done it with great success and I am sure that there are many other success stories.

How did you manage to keep your ends in good condition?
Do you use heat?
How do you style your hair? Wraps? Rollersets?
Thank in advance for all replies:)

I think I'm going to have this problem after I finish C&G for two years.
I have 17 months left. I have micro braids in right now that i put in, in April and I'm not taking them out until Nov. If I make it to Nov I might leave them in until April that would make a year with these braids and I stop trying to redo them in July. But after the two yearson C&G is up I know I'm going to be lost when It come to my hair.
I wont know her anymore, she will all be new to me.

Last edited:

jamiette

plove said:
I think I'm going to have this problem after I finish C&G for two years.
I have 17 months left. I have micro braids in right now that i put in, in April and I'm not taking them out until Nov. If I make it to Nov I might leave them in until April that would make a year with these braids and I stop trying to redo them in July. But after the two yearson C&G is up I know I'm going to be lost when It come to my hair.
I wont know her anymore, she will all be new to me.

You've hit the nail right on the head! I am really tempted to just put more in because it is just so easy. Especially since I've begun to workout again. But I am fighting the urge because I need to learn how to handle it sooner or later.

ryanshope

jamiette said:
What kind of special attention do you pay to your ends? How do you keep them nice while wearing a wrap style?

I use a mink oil or arosci shyne defining dress...just rub a little in my palms and coat the ends; I will do this if I flat iron or if I rollerset..not too much...just enuf so that my face isn't greasy..also using a creamy leave-in(lacio lacio or salerm 21) versus a watery one(biolage leave in or infusium 23) has helped to keep my hair moisturized..I will mix the creamy leave-in with a setting lotion for rollersets or just use the creamy leave-in and some silicon(like biosilk) airdry and flat iron..

jamiette

sweetness0099 said:
I use a mink oil or arosci shyne defining dress...just rub a little in my palms and coat the ends; I will do this if I flat iron or if I rollerset..not too much...just enuf so that my face isn't greasy..also using a creamy leave-in(lacio lacio or salerm 21) versus a watery one(biolage leave in or infusium 23) has helped to keep my hair moisturized..I will mix the creamy leave-in with a setting lotion for rollersets or just use the creamy leave-in and some silicon(like biosilk) airdry and flat iron..
Where do you get mink oil? Is it something that I would find at a BSS?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Do you roller set on wet or dry hair? For some reason, my wet sets always turn out horribly. Any tips on how to do a smooth roller set? I always hot curl my dry one w/ my steam iron. Ut's OK, but if I can get a more rock solid set, just maybe I can rock roller sets too.:D

ryanshope

jamiette said:
Where do you get mink oil? Is it something that I would find at a BSS?

Yes, I found some in a beauty supply store(Dee's in germantown, md) but you can find some type of mink oil in any BSS; it is just a pomade---the point of the pomade is to act as a heavy sealant for my ends..I may use a light oil to moisturize my scalp...the pomade keeps my from looking raggedy..it is especially helpful once you have had a even, clean ends trimming..

ryanshope

DDtexlaxd said:
Do you roller set on wet or dry hair? For some reason, my wet sets always turn out horribly. Any tips on how to do a smooth roller set? I always hot curl my dry one w/ my steam iron. Ut's OK, but if I can get a more rock solid set, just maybe I can rock roller sets too.:D

My rollersets are always on wet hair:

Some tips that have made it easier for me are
1. Use mesh rollers----magnetics were harder for me to use; the rigid plastic allowed no room for error and you are a good woman to sleep in magnetics---the mesh rollers dry faster, give to a smooth enough curl(magnetics are a litttle smoother) and allow me to sleep in them over night if necessary..

2. Rewet your ends as you are rollersetting...I use a mixture of a creamy leave-in and foaming wrap/setting lotion on damp hair...if my ends are dry when I get to a new section, I just rewet the ends..I don't do the whole segment---my hair would never dry...but wet ends are necessary for a smooth rollerset..

3. Patience....it can seem too take forever; but a good set will give you a solid week or 10 days of good hair days...plus as you "train" your hair into submission-(consistent condtioning and rollersets)..your hair's texture and overall appearance improves and the process will get easier...

Good luck..