Growing hair WITHOUT protective styling?

Did you grow your hair using COMPLETELY protective styles?

• Yes, I used ONLY completely protective styles where my hair was not exposed or touching fabrics.

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • Kinda, I did protective styles, but not consistantly and/or I relied on roller sets more than buns.

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • No. I grew my hair just fine and I wore my hair how ever I felt like wearing it.

Votes: 82 35.7%

• Total voters

Miss AJ

Not sure if twist outs are considered a protective style but my hair has done better since I started doing them more often. Co-washing helped me with growth but it made my ends rough and I had more splits which lead to more frequent trimming. I trimmed every 2 months when I co-washed and I'm hoping I can extend that to maybe 3-4 months now that I'm doing low manipulation styles.

amerAKAn_dream

I'd love to do rollersets only, but I'm self conscious about the length of my hair right now so I'm PS-ing until I reach my short-term goal of BSL. Then I will look into using rollersets.

Evo-ny

I think I'm going to stick with protective styling in the cold winter months when all those itchy scarves, hats, and heavy jackets would chew up and spit out my ends. :(